SpaceX plans to send two people around the Moon in late 2018

A Life Aloft

SpaceX announced Monday that it plans to send two private individuals around the Moon by the end of 2018. This highly ambitious flight would mark the first human return to deep space in nearly 50 years. During a teleconference with reporters, SpaceX founder Elon Musk said the two people would fly an approximately week-long mission in a “long loop” around the Moon, to about 400,000 miles from Earth, before returning home.

Musk said the company would launch its Dragon 2 spacecraft on top of a Falcon Heavy rocket and that the two passengers would be flying solo, without the assistance of professional astronauts. Dragon 2, he said, is designed as an autonomous vehicle. The paying customers would not be blind to the risks, he added. "I think they are entering this with their eyes open, knowing there is some risk here," Musk said. "They’re not naive. We’re going to do everything we can do to minimize our risk, but the risk is not zero."

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...send-two-people-around-the-moon-in-late-2018/

Even though it wouldn't involve a government payload, SpaceX would still, ultimately, need the US government's permission to fly its Moon mission. The Federal Aviation Administration would have to give the company a launch license. Michael Listner, a lawyer and publisher of the space-law publication The Précis, said that will be no simple matter.

"Considering the high risk of such a venture, the FAA might deny Musk the license," Listner told Ars. "Then there are other factors to include[...] the public relations disaster if the mission resulted in fatalities. Considering the ambitious time-frame of 2018 and the fact that commercial crew has not even started yet, it is highly unlikely Musk would get the green light for 2018."

The SpaceX Falcon

28SPACEX-1488234146883-master768.jpg

From another article:

Mr. Musk made the announcement on Monday in a telephone news conference. He said two private individuals approached the company to see if SpaceX would be willing to send them on a weeklong cruise, which would fly past the surface of the moon — but not land — and continue outward before gravity turned the spacecraft around and brought it back to Earth for a landing.

“This would do a long loop around the moon,” Mr. Musk said. The company is aiming to launch this moon mission in late 2018.

The two people would spend about a week inside one of SpaceX’s Dragon 2 capsules, launched on SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket. The spacecraft would be automated, but the travelers would undergo training for emergencies.

Mr. Musk did not say how much the travelers would pay for the ride. “A little bit more than the cost of a crewed mission to the space station would be,” he said.

The Falcon Heavy itself has a list price of $90 million.

While the trip appears to be within the technical capabilities of SpaceX, industry observers wondered whether the company could pull it off as quickly as Mr. Musk indicated. “Dates are not SpaceX’s strong suit,” said Mary Lynne Dittmar, executive director of the Coalition for Deep Space Exploration. The Dragon 2 and Falcon Heavy are years behind schedule and have yet to fly.

“It strikes me as risky,” Dr. Dittmar said, adding that autonomous systems are not infallible. “I find it extraordinary that these sorts of announcements are being made when SpaceX has yet to get crew from the ground to low-Earth orbit.”

Last week, a crewless Dragon capsule taking cargo to the International Space Station aborted its rendezvous because of a glitch. It successfully arrived a day later.

Mr. Musk said the two would-be private space travelers wished to remain anonymous for now. He declined to describe them, except to say they knew each other.

Last edited:
SpaceX announced Monday that it plans to send two private individuals around the Moon by the end of 2018. This highly ambitious flight would mark the first human return to deep space in nearly 50 years. During a teleconference with reporters, SpaceX founder Elon Musk said the two people would fly an approximately week-long mission in a “long loop” around the Moon, to about 400,000 miles from Earth, before returning home.

Musk said the company would launch its Dragon 2 spacecraft on top of a Falcon Heavy rocket and that the two passengers would be flying solo, without the assistance of professional astronauts. Dragon 2, he said, is designed as an autonomous vehicle. The paying customers would not be blind to the risks, he added. "I think they are entering this with their eyes open, knowing there is some risk here," Musk said. "They’re not naive. We’re going to do everything we can do to minimize our risk, but the risk is not zero."

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...send-two-people-around-the-moon-in-late-2018/

Even though it wouldn't involve a government payload, SpaceX would still, ultimately, need the US government's permission to fly its Moon mission. The Federal Aviation Administration would have to give the company a launch license. Michael Listner, a lawyer and publisher of the space-law publication The Précis, said that will be no simple matter.

"Considering the high risk of such a venture, the FAA might deny Musk the license," Listner told Ars. "Then there are other factors to include[...] the public relations disaster if the mission resulted in fatalities. Considering the ambitious time-frame of 2018 and the fact that commercial crew has not even started yet, it is highly unlikely Musk would get the green light for 2018."

The SpaceX Falcon

28SPACEX-1488234146883-master768.jpg

On the local news they said that NASA is planning on doing the same mission, but if SpaceX goes as planned, they, a private company will beat NASA by years. Monumental.

What utter crap. If someone wants to launch themselves at the sun, they ought to be able to.

50e7722a41.jpg

On the local news they said that NASA is planning on doing the same mission, but if SpaceX goes as planned, they, a private company will beat NASA by years. Monumental.

NASA's problem, I feel, is they need long term financial support and our federal government's commitment gets shifted every two years.

Space drives innovation.

The very unintended consequence of NASA failing (or being unable to?) run with the ball after the ISS and STS programs is that private enterprise has now decided to run with it themselves.

I remember as a kid not being able to wrap my mind around a private company ever being able to accomplish something like this, but that such a step was necessary for space travel to actually become widespread and commonplace as air travel.

Every time I see one of these new advancements, I cheer. Bravo, Mr Musk, and good luck.

NASA's first manned Orion mission is actually planned to be the farthest man has ever traveled. It will mimic Apollo 8 and SpaceX's missions, but take a wider path around the moon, going further out than we have ever traveled before. First is the test flight of the SLS and Orion together, which is planned for 2018. Then it'll be their first manned Orion and SLS mission in 2022.

It's been NASA's plan for a while to have private companies take over supplying the ISS and performing most of the low Earth orbit work. That frees up the agency to work on launching into deep space like the planned asteroid and Mars missions.

It's an exciting time to be looking up at the stars. Hopefully this model of cooperation lasts and we can see a new chapter in space discovery begin.

Very exciting to watch what SpaceX is doing. I just finished reading "A Man on the Moon" and Deke Slayton's autobiography "Deke! Manned Spaceflight from Mercury to the Shuttle", and it really puts into perspective how amazing the 1960s and early 1970s were when it came to accomplishing things in space that nobody thought was possible.

Really neat to start seeing things happen again.

This sounds amazing but I think the whole lack of a crew would stop me. I'm all for taking risks but not so much the helplessness of something going wrong and having no clue what to do about it. No way they can train these passengers to the level of astronaut in the next year or so.

Wow, pretty soon playing tennis with Don Cornelius on the moon will actually be a plausible excuse for flaking on people.

Back