Space X did it!

To be fair. We wouldn’t be where we are as a country in quality of life if it wasn’t for those two reasons.
Sure, but again, this whole idea that we’re within several magnitudes of a space based, escape-our-collapsing-ecosystem utopia is a ludicrous act. Just suck it up and tell us you’re doing it to make that sweet DoD money.

Several thoughts.

1. There are three things clearly in abundance at SpaceX: lots of kerbal experience, lots of passion, and copious amounts of good narcotics.

2. Freaking amazing.

3. Can SpaceX loan some engineers to Tesla? Clearly they can design things that go fast, so maybe they can help my car not drive like a paranoid grandmother on quaaludes?

That might be a plausible "deflection" away from SpaceX having some really REALLY smart people. Maybe that's why the move from California to Texas is in the works? Maybe another "C" word to describe this success?

Where’s my jet pack?
Watch the sequence after the “The Dawn of Man” chapter of “2001: A Space Odyssey” and that’s what my generation thought was possible because we weee on track.

We had Concordes, Space Shuttles, CEOs that didn’t make hundreds, thousands of multiples of the average employee…. And the “Red Scare”, simmering racism and acquisition through redevelopment, but we loved science.

:)

simmering racism

Yep, I bet most of the folks on here don’t know anything about Wallace "Suitcase" Jefferson, "Loopie" Louie Hayes, and "Rocket" Randall.

Heck, most folks don’t know that Buzz Aldrin and Gordon Cooper were black.

Nevermind, tip your van driver and wear that shirt one more day.

I’m not a smart man. What are you saying here?

There are three things clearly in abundance at SpaceX: lots of kerbal experience, lots of passion, and copious amounts of good narcotics.

Yes indeed. CLEARLY, you missed my response to your sarcasm <it was "sarcasm, right? If not, then I missed it. If that's the case, disregard my remark.>

Eh. Watching the first successful Falcon landing was pretty incredible, and it was obvious at the time what a revolution it was. And we’ve now seen that it was in fact a world-changing achievement, at least when it comes to space exploration.

Watching this I dont really feel anything…I don’t see what this achieves other than impressing shareholders, if it’s even still impressive being this many years late. I certainly dont feel any more confident that this thing is ever going to Mars with people on it.

Go look at the Artemis mission plan and how many times they want to conduct rendezvous for fueling in Earth Orbit.

To an earlier point made this is about the pace of launch to recover to launch that is gained not landing the rocket out somewhere and freight hauling it back in. It’s the same reason NASA eventually changed the shuttle flight plans to land outside of Edward’s and be closer to the facilities that would get it ready for the next launch. It wasn’t we didn’t know how to move the shuttle, it was every day wasted outside the facility translated to less launch cycles.

NASA released a statement saying they need to conduct ~15 in orbit refueling trips to be able to fuel the Artemis mission up for its movement to the moon. At Least 15 Starship Launches Needed to Execute Artemis III Lunar Landing

Now moving past how bonkers that sounds…. they can either build a ten digit or so number of rockets to meet that pace of launch cycle…. Or we can rapidly change method by using a concept SpaceX just proved can actually be done…. To go on record I didn’t think this stood a chance in hell of working. It’s probably still well away from low rate of failure, but it proves this 2nd option is possible and the mission plan is viable. This is like the space version of figuring out how to put gas in airplanes while they are flying…. Suddenly you can do so much more. Imagine the timeline for orbital assembly of something like the ISS that took the better part of my life to build. If you had the modules ready suddenly rapid assembly in orbit of a station is achievable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back