Space X did it!

I’ll raise my hand and say that I feel cheated about where the space program was headed and where it actually ended up.

Blade Runner 2019, in 1982, seemed completely believable as we advanced but reality is that we just run around with super powerful computers in our pockets looking at Toktok videos.

I’ll raise my hand and say that I feel cheated about where the space program was headed and where it actually ended up.

Blade Runner 2019, in 1982, seemed completely believable as we advanced but reality is that we just run around with super powerful computers in our pockets looking at Toktok videos.
PREACH!!!

If it wasn't for those pesky Dark Ages we'd be space faring by now.

I’m not saying don’t do it. I’m just saying that the pretense that we’re anything other than a sci fi book type quantum leap forward in tech from becoming well and truly spacefaring, is silly.
Here's the thing about science fiction, it fiction first and foremost. The best writers would often try to team up with actual scientists to ensure their work is at least somehow feasible but it shouldn't be considered as fact or prediction. Humans can and will do things sci fi writers never even imagined. In 2024 all 8 billion of us are still just fighting and floating around on this blue dot trying to figure out how to get back to our moon. If sci fi books are your road to the future I'd suggest you need to go dig a hole, trim a tree or change a tire. Sometimes getting intentionally filthy has a tendency to center a person. But if you like to pretend and it makes you happy than have at it. It's cute when kids do it, it's sad when adults do it.

Pedantic much?
I'd like to ascribe that to some sort of ineptness but I don't think that was the intention. Apparently some people think we've been not only able to traverse billions of miles at a moments notice, and then do battle using any number of weapons, kill all of the opposition, rescue the alien princess and reunite humankind with their mysterious progenitor afterwards. I like fantasy and sci fi books but I understand it's all stuff made up in someones cranial ramen. Life is hard, if you work hard you might prosper, no one is going to help, in fact some people might make it their business to try and take advantage of you. Having a steely eye and a resting grumpy face is a good defense in public. You should also not be fat and at the very least look as if you might knock a mother •er out.

Where are the Back to the Future hoverboards for that matter? I want my damned hoverboard McFly!

I get a little bit of a bee in me old bonnet about this one. It's possible to at once think a guy is an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime talent at financing and "Big Picture" engineering-oversight and still think he's kind of an idiot when it comes politics. These things are not incompatible. But the massive retconing attempted to keep ole Elon as some kind of secondary or tertiary figure in these achievements is, well, dumb. No, he didn't build the thing (obviously), but without him, it would not have been built. Like specifically him. There isn't some other guy who would have made this happen for, what, maybe 20-40 years? Credit where it's due. And yes, his politics are still crazy. Separate issue.

I get a little bit of a bee in me old bonnet about this one. It's possible to at once think a guy is an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime talent at financing and "Big Picture" engineering-oversight and still think he's kind of an idiot when it comes politics. These things are not incompatible. But the massive retconing attempted to keep ole Elon as some kind of secondary or tertiary figure in these achievements is, well, dumb. No, he didn't build the thing (obviously), but without him, it would not have been built. Like specifically him. There isn't some other guy who would have made this happen for, what, maybe 20-40 years? Credit where it's due. And yes, his politics are still crazy. Separate issue.
QFT

Lots of possible adjectives for this guy, I’d guess. Maybe…Visionary; out-of-the box thinker; megalomaniac; slave-driver…

It was the 12th century of space programs ;)
Would have been a lot better and probably safer without the austerity that forced it to be the do-everything launch vehicle. The DOD crossrange requirement, specifically, is what I'm thinking of. I think the system met the requirement that the failure of a single main engine during powered flight would not result in LOCV.

But yeah, the Space Transportation System is a lot more impressive than, eh, whatever this is.

Hold up hold up hold up, Mad Men's Peggy Olsen. A "bee in the bonnet"? :)

It's cool. Congratulations to SpaceX.

Slightly increasing aperture, when I was a kid we also had a reusable space vehicle but it landed like an airplane, including reusable boosters. Rebirth? Absolutely. All hail high finance and government incentives however, we at least have to get to the moon (whose mission predated 99% of anyone reading this, save a handful of people) to be on par with where we were decades ago. But man, they have a burgeoning PR problem that's about the implode a couple companies.

No one should interpret this as negative or dismissive, please, it's not. Now when it comes to the SLS, the bidding process, the vendor list and the delays, that's when I do a full McKayla Maroney.

Eh. Watching the first successful Falcon landing was pretty incredible, and it was obvious at the time what a revolution it was. And we’ve now seen that it was in fact a world-changing achievement, at least when it comes to space exploration.

Watching this I dont really feel anything…I don’t see what this achieves other than impressing shareholders, if it’s even still impressive being this many years late. I certainly dont feel any more confident that this thing is ever going to Mars with people on it.

Back