Southwest taking out the competition in LGA

Duct tape might work for the FAA. Doesn't work for the passengers.

That and a ton of bad PR when a picture of your duct taped wing in flight taken from 21A appears on the front page of every newspaper in the country.
I said ferry flight, I never mentioned pax. And I also did mention "speed tape" not duct tape, a 3" wide roll of aluminum tape costs about $200.00. You'd probably be amazed what can be dispatched with an engineering disposition, a ferry permit and a roll of aluminum tape.

Never dealt with Boeing products but I'm aware of a couple G-IVs that got dispositions and ferry permits that flew with a damaged winglet to a repair station for repair/replacement. Oddly pilots reported that landing with some of the vortex generators damaged/missing seemed to have more of an effect on handling than a portion of the winglet missing.
I did the one winglet cert flying on these. I cant tell when flying with one off. I agree with the missing VGs. That is why you are typically granted very little relief for missing VGs

There is a huge difference in a ferry permit and continued passenger operation. You can ferry with a damaged winglet. Or you can remove it per the MEL and continue to fly with passengers. I think it is a 10 day MEL, but honestly dont remember

I did the one winglet cert flying on these. I cant tell when flying with one off. I agree with the missing VGs. That is why you are typically granted very little relief for missing VGs

There is a huge difference in a ferry permit and continued passenger operation. You can ferry with a damaged winglet. Or you can remove it per the MEL and continue to fly with passengers. I think it is a 10 day MEL, but honestly dont remember
But did it require speed tape? If it required speed tape and an MEL it makes the pilots testicles larger and they get to have a story to admonish the new guys with at the bar.

But did it require speed tape? If it required speed tape and an MEL it makes the pilots testicles larger and they get to have a story to admonish the new guys with at the bar.
No, there is a kit you put on the wingtip when you remove the winglet.

I have plenty of speed tape flying.

And this time of year keep a sharp eye on the people clearing the snow and or ice off of your wings, they aren't pilots or mechanics. I've still not figured out how the number of VGs damaged increased with the months leading up to New Years.

@knot4u im a CFI and I deice. But I understand what you mean, some of my fellows rampers are oblivious and can be careless when removing snow or ice, example of being oblivious, I watched one of my rampers touch a pitot tube right before departure, after about 5 seconds the look on his face was priceless.

I said ferry flight, I never mentioned pax. And I also did mention "speed tape" not duct tape, a 3" wide roll of aluminum tape costs about $200.00. You'd probably be amazed what can be dispatched with an engineering disposition, a ferry permit and a roll of aluminum tape.
Where the heck did you see a roll of speed tape for $200.00. I buy a whole boxes for $50 and that's 24 rolls!

Where the heck did you see a roll of speed tape for $200.00. I buy a whole boxes for $50 and that's 24 rolls!
How thick is the stuff they use on jets? We borrowed some from Alaska airlines one time and it was legit, I'd only ever seen the hardware store stuff before.

Last night one of them shut the ground operation down in LGA waiting for a gate, off-freq, and NORDO.

Cost us 20 minutes because GND couldn't get ahold of him.
Dough,
You're flying into LGA again? Fo sho I've given you a crappy turn on the localizer

My favorite thing is the ramper posing for a picture with his half of the winglet.

If this industry weren't so absurdly comical there would be far more grab a beer - jump out the exit and down the slide type incidents.
141223142224-southwest-plane-clipped-wing-story-top.jpg

Oh, now there's a souvenir for a lucky fan!

I actually read the article now. Hmm..if AA was waiting to be parked and WN was taxiing in, then I sure hope the ramp controller covered his ass(you can totally say the widely recognized slang term of buttocks on here) and asked Southwest to "reference" them. Otherwise I hope he or she has clean pee pee.

Gotta love the title of the article though. "Southwest plane clips wing after colliding with American Airlines jet at LaGuardia"

Wow. So they collide with an American Airlines jet, get down in one piece, then clip the wing on the way to the gate? Rough day.

Back