Southwest starting BWI to San Jose Costa Rica

Want to place a wager on that?
Hey man, I don't think it is all sunshine and lollipops, far from it. Unlike most pilots, I am a firm believer in letting the mangers do some managing and I will do the flying. There are still a lot of opportunities for SWA to grow even if the service/cost piece stays flat. The dudes in Dallas want to make money, and lots of it. That aligns with my goal of staying gainfully employed. If that comes off as me being overly positive, then fine, whatever. I get that you are pissed about the SLI and think this company is on the road to Rome. I certainly hope that isn't the case for both of our sakes.

I am perfectly open to having a discussion on the pros and cons of this business. I won't, however, pretend that I know how to run an airline.

Pretty sure this is an open discussion, so he definitely doesn't have a right to not have a dissenting opinion expressed. If you don't like it, you're welcome to disagree.

Oh, you're right. It is an open discussion. I just thought you would have the courtesy of allowing him a little optimism for at least a few months before you go on the attack. You remember what it was like for those first few months at your dream job... He deserves that feeling too.

Figured maybe you didn't realize how you came off in that post.

Oh, you're right. It is an open discussion. I just thought you would have the courtesy of allowing him a little optimism for at least a few months before you go on the attack. You remember what it was like for those first few months at your dream job... He deserves that feeling too.

Figured maybe you didn't realize how you came off in that post.

I'm not a fan of delusion. Whether someone has been on the job for a day or a decade, realism is better than irrational exuberance.

Sometimes I don't get you. One day you're a good guy, opinionated but skilled at debate. The next it's like you take delight in being a wiener for no good reason.

Sometimes I don't get you. One day you're a good guy, opinionated but skilled at debate. The next it's like you take delight in being a wiener for no good reason.

What you call "being a weiner," I call being honest. I'm not interested in delusion, and I don't think anyone else should be either. It leads to bad decisions.

My biggest beef with SWA is sometime in the last decade it went from the airline that everyone wanted to work for which had a clear plan and business model to an airline that was run by bean counters whose main focus was shaving costs to net themselves and shareholders lots of money on the backs of the employees with a business model that was all over the place. I worked there for several years, and the stories I hear coming from my friends that are still there (many coming up on their second decade of employment) is disheartening. Near as I can tell, it started to slide when Herb left and took a nosedive after Colleen retired. Now, the focus has shifted from "We want our employees to be happy so our passengers are happy" to "We want to be the biggest, richest airline on the planet, and everything else is secondary." Sure, that keeps people gainfully employed, but so does McDonald's.

There be some tall rocks around SJO and it's sporty if you blow a motor... heck it's sporty even when everthing is working! I wonder how good their special qual program is. ;)

And Caribbean flying.

Trying to talk to Havana ten prior to the FIR a few weeks ago and homebrew was having a dickens of a time trying to check in and asking the controller for all sorts of strange things you really shouldn't ask a non US controller.

And Caribbean flying.

Trying to talk to Havana ten prior to the FIR a few weeks ago and homebrew was having a dickens of a time trying to check in and asking the controller for all sorts of strange things you really shouldn't ask a non US controller.
Exactly what I heard as well a few weeks ago. Im sure they'll get the hang of it, but for now it sounds amateurish.

Exactly what I heard as well a few weeks ago. Im sure they'll get the hang of it, but for now it sounds amateurish.

"yeah havanaaaaa.... can we gets direct destination?"

You should see the international indoc they are doing for the ground personnel- they are cartoons that look like they are made for kindergartners!

The McDonald's comment is just about right. I travel for work and so do most of my clients. Almost everyone I know flies southwest exclusively because you know what you are getting every time. No surpise fees, no one trying to sell you 'food', no surprise codesshares with aeromexico or small planes. maybe it's not always the best choice, but like Starbucks or mcdonlalds you know exactly what you're getting every time. Plus they taxi fast. No one wants to waste time on the ground !

What you call "being a weiner," I call being honest. I'm not interested in delusion, and I don't think anyone else should be either. It leads to bad decisions.
Have you quit SWA yet? Aren't you going to DELDA'S or something?

Back