Southwest starting BWI to San Jose Costa Rica

The McDonald's comment is just about right. I travel for work and so do most of my clients. Almost everyone I know flies southwest exclusively because you know what you are getting every time. No surpise fees, no one trying to sell you 'food', no surprise codesshares with aeromexico or small planes. maybe it's not always the best choice, but like Starbucks or mcdonlalds you know exactly what you're getting every time. Plus they taxi fast. No one wants to waste time on the ground !
I'll take an e190 any day over a 73/a32x. In the back anyways.

I'll take an e190 any day over a 73/a32x. In the back anyways.

I was actually looking at this for getting out to Vegas this year for NJC. If I take UAL, I can get there for only $750, whereas it would be $1,050 on several other airlines. The catch on UAL is that it's on an E-175. Do the E-Jets at UAL have WiFi and a decent business class?

I was actually looking at this for getting out to Vegas this year for NJC. If I take UAL, I can get there for only $750, whereas it would be $1,050 on several other airlines. The catch on UAL is that it's on an E-175. Do the E-Jets at UAL have WiFi and a decent business class?
I think so... but not 100% on that. The thing I like about the 175/190 is you have normal overhead bins and it's 2x2 seating in peasant class, so you don't have to worry about the middle seat. That's not really an issue in business. On JB in the 190, you always have a screen and satellite TV as well.
OTOH, if money isn't an object and you're in first/business. Delta. JMO on that though.

Last edited:
I dot know about wifi but the business class seats for the 170/175 are not bad. The one thing we are missing is power outlets for the seats. You know who I fly for so take it from my experience. Ask some of the Mesa or Skywest guys. They might know better.

Biz class on a ual e170 is a joke. Same seat cushion as coach. Enjoy your drink a plastic cup and no real meal. It's just a wider seat. That's all.

That's not a good thing for ANY aircraft operator to strive to do.

Let's go ahead and erase that out of our "OMG That's Cool" book.

Here's an eraser.

I'll wait until you're done.
Does southwest as a rule taxi faster than safe? All I know as a passenger is that they feel like they're at least trying to get somewhere on time.

Does southwest as a rule taxi faster than safe? All I know as a passenger is that they feel like they're at least trying to get somewhere on time.

As a RULE, I'm sure they tell their people to taxi at a brisk walk, just like what the FARs say. However, being based in a rather large SWA city and having worked for them for several years and observed the actual taxiing of their aircraft, I'm gonna go with "They really should slow it down." There's trying to get somewhere on time, and there's unsafe. Taxiing fast isn't gonna make or break your on time arrival. At BEST you might get to the runway 5 minutes sooner. If you're in LGA or PHL, you're not gonna get cut to the front of the line or anything. I know if we pulled that stunt in JFK, we'd just get to the back of the line faster. We wouldn't really shave any time off the flight.

So I wonder if they have route authorities or fifth freedom. South America will be entertaining over the next decade as it looks route for new entrants and rapid air traffic growth.

South America isn't all that difficult, but I sincerely hope that, for awhile at least, they can get pilots with significant experience in that environment flying those routes as they build institutional knowledge. As Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

There's "trying" and there's "doing" :)

Perception… versus reality...

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 10.26.34 PM.png

source: http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/press_releases/dot083_14

As a RULE, I'm sure they tell their people to taxi at a brisk walk, just like what the FARs say. However, being based in a rather large SWA city and having worked for them for several years and observed the actual taxiing of their aircraft, I'm gonna go with "They really should slow it down." There's trying to get somewhere on time, and there's unsafe. Taxiing fast isn't gonna make or break your on time arrival. At BEST you might get to the runway 5 minutes sooner. If you're in LGA or PHL, you're not gonna get cut to the front of the line or anything. I know if we pulled that stunt in JFK, we'd just get to the back of the line faster. We wouldn't really shave any time off the flight.
I would think at a busy airport you can only taxi as fast as the guy at the front of the conga line anyway. No sense getting blood pressure up trying to win a race that doesn't exist.
So I wonder if they have route authorities or fifth freedom. South America will be entertaining over the next decade as it looks route for new entrants and rapid air traffic growth.

South America isn't all that difficult, but I sincerely hope that, for awhile at least, they can get pilots with significant experience in that environment flying those routes as they build institutional knowledge. As Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
Institutional knowledge is overrated, just ask seggs.

That's not a good thing for ANY aircraft operator to strive to do.

Let's go ahead and erase that out of our "OMG That's Cool" book.

Here's an eraser.

I'll wait until you're done.
It doesn't make you cool. It's a good way to hurt someone or something, or goof up the "actually turn left at November and, you missed it, never mind." Especially when one crew member's attention is inside. It's not good customer service, especially on a rough taxiway. Wham bam.

"Vee One!"

There's "trying" and there's "doing" :)

Perception… versus reality...

View attachment 28924

source: http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/press_releases/dot083_14
Yuuuuuup. But hey, there's a cool heart on the airplane. Right?

Back