Southwest Jumpseat

nc1982

I have a trip to the west coast this month and I was thinking of jumping on Southwest. I've checked out the alpa guide and it says just list using the 800 number and show up at the gate. Is this still pretty accurate? How are the crews and gate agents? I always hear good things and would like to try them out. Frankly, from the experiences I've heard and read about, I would much rather 2 leg it out to the west coast on SWA than deal with some of these CAL/UAL gate agents out here in EWR.

The jumpseat is uncomfortable. Just like every other 737 out there.

The gate agents are usually pretty nice. They'll set you up for the cockpit, but if you wait until the end of the boarding process, you'll figure out if you sit middle seat to a fat-sweatpants wearing loudmouth.

I've arrived at the gate with out listing before, no one has given me grief.

I use southwest almost exclusively, and in 10 years only had one bad experience. I would rather two leg it as well on southwest than use (for instance American). Gate agents and crews are almost always nice and a lot of times if they are close on the number of seats they let me go down and find a seat as a pre-board, then if the need me up front they will make an announcement or the fa will come get me, that way I can avoid the middle seat. I usually call and list but occasionally if I am running late I will do it at the gate and they have always been very helpful about that. Good luck!

Ive jumped on SWA a couple times. You call the 800 to list for a seat out back. For the jumpseat you can just show up to the gate. You must have your passport to sit on the jumpseat. They have two jumpseats which is nice AA 73's only have 1. Both times I sat out back. the other cool thing is that IF they are full and there are SWA jumpseaters, the SWA guys have the option of giving you the J/s and they can sit on an FA j/s that is great! It really irks me to to watch an AA plane back away from the gate and you know there are two seats that you are legal to use sitting empty!

The gate agents seem to like it when you list in advance. It saves them a little time and effort.

Many times when there is room in the back they don't set you up for the cockpit jumpseat (again, might be it saves them time). The only problem with that is you don't have the right to preboard and may wind up in the C boarding group. In this case, I try to make eye contact with the boarding agent during the preboard process and most of the time if they see a pilot they will let you on early. Occasionally not. Best way to get to preboard is to ask for the cockpit jumpseat from the very beginning with the gate agent. I try to do this but often they just say there is lots of room in the back. I don't insist for the cockpit but just go to plan B above.

Flight crews and F/A's are awesome. I've seen pilots help with wheelchair pax. Not gonna see that much anywhere else. Once when I gate checked my bags to the destination I had a nice Capt go way out of his way after we blocked in to go find my bags on the ramp so they wouldn't go to baggage claim.

The nice thing about preboarding is having a place for your bags. Even if the flight is going to be full, the Capt will often tell you to sit in the back and they will call you if they need you. I usually go all the way to the back and say hi to the F/A's back there. Most of the time the plane isn't actually full even though they thought it would be.

After I talk to the pilots and F/A's, the tie and stripes come off so I can be somewhat incognito to the ruffian hoards.

List ahead of time if you can, it helps out the gate agents. When you check in at the gate and there are seats in the back they will probably give you three tickets. One is a jumpseat request, and two are boarding passes. If there aren't any seats they'll give you three jumpseat tickets: one for the gate agent, one for you, and one for the captain. In either case, if you show the boarding agent your jumpseat pass they should let you preboard after they load the wheelchairs, UNAMS, and other specials. Look for all the people with blue ticket envelopes and when they're all onboard walk up. Introduce yourself to the crew, take a seat in the back and if they need you up front they'll come and get you. I used to commute on SWA several times a week and they're definitely one of the most friendly airlines out there.

If you do have the ride the cockpit jumpseat, don't sit behind the captain unless you have to..

I'm going to bump this for another question.

I just got my ATP and type and only have the paper temp, will it still be ok to jump with Southwest? Anyone know of a good way to check loads out of Hobby?

I'm going to bump this for another question.

I just got my ATP and type and only have the paper temp, will it still be ok to jump with Southwest? Anyone know of a good way to check loads out of Hobby?
Papers are good to go.

Call the non rev/jumpseat phone number to list and ask about the loads.

List if you can, I do, you don't have to, but many agents like to see it.

As mentioned, the only seat more uncomfortable than the 737 jump is the jump behind the captain's seat. Ouch!

The jumpseat is uncomfortable. Just like every other 737 out there.

The gate agents are usually pretty nice. They'll set you up for the cockpit, but if you wait until the end of the boarding process, you'll figure out if you sit middle seat to a fat-sweatpants wearing loudmouth.

I've arrived at the gate with out listing before, no one has given me grief.
Still a hell of a lot better than the ERJ my ass ends up in twice a week for 2.5 to 3 hours each way...

List if you can, I do, you don't have to, but many agents like to see it.

As mentioned, the only seat more uncomfortable than the 737 jump is the jump behind the captain's seat. Ouch!
Don't forget that the you can rip the back of the CP jump seat off the wall and use that as cushioning. This is assuming no one is already sitting there.

Back