Southwest Airlines Hire Expectations, "2004"

ERJ-135

Southwest Airlines Hire Expectations, \"2004\"

Just read an interesting article on the expected hires for 2004. They expect to hire 400 pilots during "04".

Requirements:

1,000 PIC
2,500 Total

To start training,we require a B-737 type rating.

Re: Southwest Airlines Hire Expectations, \"2004\"

Actually, this is from their website and it's a LITTLE bit more involved than that:

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">Southwest Airlines Flight Operations Department
Information for Prospective Pilots
Thank you for your interest in a flying career with Southwest Airlines. We will begin accepting applications via our new online application on January 12, 2004. Please refer back to this page for instructions on how to submit your information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated December 16, 2003

Southwest Airlines New Pilot Requirements
Licenses / Ratings:
U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Non Restricted U.S. TypeRating on a B-737 not required for interview but required for employment.1

Must be at least twenty-three years of age.

Flight Experience:
2500 hours total or 1500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command, as defined by FAR PART I is required. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc. NO other time is counted.2
Currency:
A minimum of 200 hours must be logged in the preceding 36 months.
Medical:
Must possess a current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate. Must pass FAA mandated Drug Test.
Authorization to work in the United States:
Must have established authorization to work in the United States.
Driver's License:
Must possess a valid United States Driver's License.
Education:
Graduation from accredited, four-year college preferred.

Letters of Recommendation:
At least three letters from any individuals who can attest to the pilot’s flying skills, by having observed them over a sustained period of time.

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'll get some slack for this but I would love to fly for them. Well, actually I just want to be on T.V.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'll get some slack for this but I would love to fly for them. Well, actually I just want to be on T.V.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? What's wrong with Southwest?

Nothing at all. From a financial point of view thier truly amazing. No losses in more than 30 years. That alone is incredible, and in the airline industry truly remarkable. Imitating is the highest form of flattery, ie Ted, Song, and many more. It was my way of saying I would love to be a part of that team even if I do hate their colors, and outspoken male FA. Now I'll really take slack for the last part.

SWA is my first choice of pilot employment. If only I could upgrade... ah, another 850 hours to go before I even meet ATP mins! Bah!

I'm looking at SWA in the future and currently looking at my next step, so I met an old friend of mine from college, who is in their safety department. He said they aren't taking resumes for a while as their database is completely full. They have 200 or so pilots in their hiring pool already and they will hire another 100-200 over 2004 (out of the ~100,000 resumes on file already). It's gonna be a long wait for SWA if your waiting to get on with them...I agree an absolutely awesome company to work for some day.

txpilot

[ QUOTE ]
SWA is my first choice of pilot employment. If only I could upgrade... ah, another 850 hours to go before I even meet ATP mins! Bah!

[/ QUOTE ]

Woulda thought your first choice for pilot employment woulda been ATA mainline.

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly doubt that's ANYONE's first choice for pilot employment.
grin.gif

I would do anything to fly for SWA one day. My good friends father is an F/O (that is how i got that pic in the avtar with the hottie f/a). He absolutely loves flying for them and says it is a blast. So what if I fly only one type of aircraft and maybe have a lower salary..I would rather be having fun!! Environment is a bigger thing than people make it
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly doubt that's ANYONE's first choice for pilot employment.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ATA is my second choice, but close to first. Both companies have their pluses and minuses with me, but SWA comes on top after it all. Who knows, that could change in 5 years.

ATA is the number one choice for plenty of people. Why wouldn't it be? Obviously Aloft you don't know much about the company. ATA is an excellent company, one which I am proud to be associated with. There is a wide variety of excellent domestic and international flying there, utilizing new modern aircraft. The company is growing, not too quickly, simply because we don't want to overextend ourselves.

If I got hired at ATA, I would attempt to stay there until retirement, and be proud of it.

I gotta say that ATA has a fine group of people working there. I'd ride the jumpseat from MKE to MCO all the time and those guys rock.

Except for that guy in DTW that was selling them, but that's another story.

They have a relaxed, people-friendly interview process and seem to be more 'old school' than a lot of us at the 'pretty boy' airlines.

Here's a glipse into an 'old-school' interview slamming 'pretty-boy' airlines.

"In my day, we didn't have any fancy FMS. We stuck our head out the window and looked for stars and migrating birds to find out where we were and we liked it!"

"And we didn't have any fancy turbo fan engines. We used old washing machine motors that you had to start with a string and they caught on fire on every flight and burned our faces and we liked it."

"And we didn't have any fancy flight schools that taught us how to fly. We used old garbage bags and sticks to make wings that we held onto when we jumped off the side of a mountain and we liked it!"

"We were all bird watching, burnt faced bumbs with broken legs and we liked it. Oh happy day."

So if you get hired by SWA today you would then need to go out and buy a 737 type? OUCH, those run about 8K huh?

[ QUOTE ]
So if you get hired by SWA today you would then need to go out and buy a 737 type? OUCH, those run about 8K huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The two best places to go for that are Higher Power Aviation in TX, or K&amp;S Aviation in AZ.

...I think that it's a bunch of crap that they expect that from incoming pilots!!!
tongue.gif
mad.gif

I'm a little suprised that people holler so much about buying a job (ala Gulfstream), or buying right seat time, yet don't hardly peep about SWA requiring a type rating to get hired. Yeah, I know it ain't the same, but the principle is. Once it becomes O.K. for an airline to require the pilots to come up with a type rating, the next thing you know every company will expect pilots to pay for all of their type ratings - part of the pre-hire requisites, ya know? Whattayamean companies used ta hire ya, and then pay for your type rating? That's crazy son...
Anybody else see the problem / dichotomy here?

It's different for several reasons. Southwest doesn't require it to skimp on training costs or shorten their syllabus. They have always stated that it is a way of separating fly-by-night applicants from those who passionately want to work for Southwest Airlines. If a person doesn't want to do it, they don't have to. Plain and simple.

I wouldn't mind working for Southwest one day ... gotta love a company with two fairly large Texas domiciles (and PHX ain't bad either), but I don't have the experience requirements nor the 737 rating, so making this decision is a ways off for me.

FL270

Back