Southwest Airlines Hire Expectations, "2004"

Re: Southwest Airlines Hire Expectations, \"2004\"

I think one thing of requiring a Brasilia type rating is one thing, and requiring that you purchase overpriced Brasilia training (not even a type) from the company hiring you is a completely different thing entirely.

[ QUOTE ]
I think one thing of requiring a Brasilia type rating is one thing, and requiring that you purchase overpriced Brasilia training (not even a type) from the company hiring you is a completely different thing entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]
But isn't the company's motiviation the same in both instances, and the end result is heading in the same direction? You know, just a "little bit pregnant"?

And FL270:[ QUOTE ]
It's different for several reasons. Southwest doesn't require it to skimp on training costs or shorten their syllabus. They have always stated that it is a way of separating fly-by-night applicants from those who passionately want to work for Southwest Airlines. If a person doesn't want to do it, they don't have to. Plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I'll buy that completely, either. How many people do you know that build up the min's for this type of gig and don't have the motivation or desire needed to suceed? Sorry, but I think it's just another side of the same coin, but here it comes in a prettier wrapper so pilots just dig into their own pockets without complaint. Believe me, I am a big fan of SWA and would work for them in a heartbeat, but I don't think that their motiviations are any "purer" than any other corporation's, just that they are smart enough to understand the positive results when you treat employees well: it is possible to reduce costs (on the backs of your employees) without alienating them. And a happy workforce can be a money making machine (and enjoying your work is a highly valued intangible, for sure!)

Steve, it's not a matter of people not wanting to succeed to the SWA folks. Southwest is passionate about their corporate culture, and the willingness to invest in the type is, to them I think, an indicator of whether a potential pilot hire has the same type of passion for Southwest.

Personally, I don't terribly like the requirement, but I recognize it and understand the reasoning behind it. If and when I decide to pursue Southwest (and I have the experience level to do so), I will have to get the type.

FL270

Actually, no. SWA still puts you through ground and simulator training at their cost and you're paid throughout.

[ QUOTE ]
Steve, it's not a matter of people not wanting to succeed to the SWA folks. Southwest is passionate about their corporate culture, and the willingness to invest in the type is, to them I think, an indicator of whether a potential pilot hire has the same type of passion for Southwest. FL270

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, no. SWA still puts you through ground and simulator trainin
smile.gif
g at their cost and you're paid throughout. Doug

[/ QUOTE ]
smile.gif
O.K., similar responses from a couple of experienced guys = I'll see the light. At least grudgingly.
cool.gif

Yeah, it's tough out there. I've got the mins., but that probably isn't going to get me hired when people with 10K hours are applying. Oh well, patience is a virtue.
laugh.gif

I agree with SteveC. Requiring the Type rating is a branch of PFT.

I have several hundred hours in the B737-700 but I will not be hired at SWA without going and spending $8000 for a type rating.

On the other hand, Joe Military can come out and use his Vet Benefits to get a type rating and can get hired without a single hour of 737 experience.

I like a lot of things about Southwest but the type rating requirement is completely out of line.

From SWA website:

(1)A candidate may apply without a B-737 Type Rating. If a candidate interviews and successfully completes the entire selection process, he/she has 6 months from that date to obtain a B-737 Type Rating to be eligible for hire.

That's not so bad, at least you know you have the job when you're spending that money, if you decide to wait.

It may not be as bad, but it's still bad!

Especially since the training they put you through is sufficient to take a type ride at the conclusion.

John, how come Midway did not give you a type at the conclusion of training on the -700 if the training was sufficient? Curious.

[ QUOTE ]
Southwest is passionate about their corporate culture, and the willingness to invest in the type is, to them I think, an indicator of whether a potential pilot hire has the same type of passion for Southwest.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's kinda like chicks who run right out and have their engagement ring appraised, judging a guy's devotion by the amount of cash he laid out for it.

Sad, really.

Back