Southern Air Moving to CVG

All of their new postings have:
"ONLY CANDIDATES FROM THE CINCINNATI, OHIO AREA WILL BE CONSIDERED."
Sigh...the bad side of living in Hawaii :(

"ONLY CANDIDATES FROM THE CINCINNATI, OHIO AREA WILL BE CONSIDERED." :(
Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you look at it) Southern Air has a plethora of people to choose from in the area with both Astar and Comair going under within the last five months. Good luck to those who might apply!

Is DHL the majority of the business Southern has right now? If so, this move does make sense.

They have been speaking about moving for over a year now, I thought they had given up on it considering it's been so long.

I hope too many people are not terribly affected by this.

RE: "ONLY CANDIDATES FROM THE CINCINNATI, OHIO AREA WILL BE CONSIDERED."

This was an unartful way of saying that the company is moving to Cincy and they will not pay for any reolocation.

It also means that they offer a schedule that does not allow for commuting, since so many dispatchers do so.

It's a 4-on-4-off 12 hour schedule as of now (subject to change as the FAA implements Flag requirements and duty time limitations on supplemental carriers within the next several years).

Commuting is possible, we've had a lot of maintenance controllers up in CT commute from, you guessed it, Northern Kentucky!

No CASS for now. But if you live within the tri-state region you could, in theory, find some cheap rent and go back home on your 4 days off.

TomatoFlames said:
How is a 12 hour shift legal? I thought Southern was 121 Supplemental.

Only legal if Supplemental, right? So I guess if they start flying Flag, they'll have to adjust their shifts accordingly.

I wonder what scheduled stuff Southern is trying to get to become Flag? All of ABX's flying for DHL is considered 121 supplemental. And I think that is the norm for all DHL carriers.

I wonder what scheduled stuff Southern is trying to get to become Flag? All of ABX's flying for DHL is considered 121 supplemental. And I think that is the norm for all DHL carriers.

There is a certain US-based provider for DHL that runs Flag on their DHL lift.

Could any of the current employees be so kind as to provide some information on how working conditions are at Southern. Also I know pay will likely be less than CT, but could you give a ballpark range of what pay is like currently? Say if you came in with about 10 years of dispatch experience? Is it closer in line to regional dispatching pay or to one of the majors? Trying to get a better picture before I apply. You may PM me the info if you feel more comfortable letting me know in private. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide :)

Triple4 said:
Could any of the current employees be so kind as to provide some information on how working conditions are at Southern. Also I know pay will likely be less than CT, but could you give a ballpark range of what pay is like currently? Say if you came in with about 10 years of dispatch experience? Is it closer in line to regional dispatching pay or to one of the majors? Trying to get a better picture before I apply. You may PM me the info if you feel more comfortable letting me know in private. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide :)

I would also love to know about pay ;-)

Back