Sooo, what does a newbie CFI make$$$?

Let's put it this way. Stay on good terms with your parents so you can keep living there or be prepared to share a trailer with three other guys.

Hello, Newbie CFI.

I'm feelin' generous tonight, so I am gonna pass on the most useful answer that you will ever use in the flight instructing business....

"It depends."

I was making around $1,000 a month.

Pre-tax.

I basically had to deduct depreciation everything I could think of, including my life, when April came around.

I was making around $1,000 a month.

Pre-tax.

I basically had to deduct depreciation everything I could think of, including my life, when April came around.
:yeahthat:I think the worst of my first six months I made a total of $400 instructing.

Side Jobs are key

I pull down 1600-2000 a month pre-tax. Depends on a lot of things.

After taxes and health insurance I had an $8 paycheck once this year. Didn't help that the school took all of us from salary to hourly in the worst part of winter.

Merry Christmas CFI's we are taking your salary away! Oh and all those bonuses we were going to give you? They never existed! :cwm27:

Me and a bunch of people I worked with made $3,000-$4,000 a month before taxes. That pay setup is gone now at that place but it must exist somewhere still.

The easiest answer is not enough.

I generally make $700 a month, but I'm part time, as I haven't graduated yet. Most full time guys at my school generally don't break $1,000. As you can tell supportive, enthusiastic parents are part of the equation.

I believe my W-2 was around 16K for the whole year while instructing. After taxes and other deductions, my monthly earnings were around $1100. It's quite the misery.

I was an independant back in 02-03 and was charging $35/hr as a newly minted CFI. Might be a little tougher environment out there now, but still . . . .

Nothing! Actually the school I worked at paid 25 dollars an hour for ground and flight, and back when people wanted to be pilots we were making decent money.

oh....ok...thanks everyone! Anybody know of any fast food joints hiring? Looks like that's a better job field monetarily speaking. :buck: lol

Yikes! Most of these take home pay statements are a little scary. I was making between $1200 - $1500 every two weeks when I was teaching. Pay was $21/hr, flight and ground. I was working 6 days/wk, usually at the school 10 hrs/day. It was fun though...

Back