Sooo, what does a newbie CFI make$$$?

Yikes! Most of these take home pay statements are a little scary. I was making between $1200 - $1500 every two weeks when I was teaching. Pay was $21/hr, flight and ground. I was working 6 days/wk, usually at the school 10 hrs/day. It was fun though...

We had one person break $1300 in a 2 week period at a $16/hr rate.
We haven't had anyone get close since because we need more than 2 airplanes for 15 students.

I once made around $3600 (pre-tax and including a $600 bonus) in a summer month.

At $20/hour...I was a busy man.
Still though for the year only $21,000

Welcome to FEAST or FAMINE!!!

About 5-7k/month. We get $35/hr...but the key is how you bill. We generally bill for the whole three hour block as long as we are doing something related to the lesson. Pre and Post flight breifings etc. I topped $7,000 in JANUARY :) . Pre tax of course.

I am 11 months into this now. My worst month I made $1700 pre tax. Best month $2950. However, I work 6 AM to 6 PM or later most days...7 days a week. Today is the first day I have had off since the beginning of March. So it is hard work. I enjoy it for the most part though.

Depends where you live. I have a buddy who just turned 20 and just got hired at my school. He makes $55/hour. On the flip side I know a guy who makes $15/hour in the midwest. Go figure.

My first paycheck, a whopping $58. And thats for a whole month. Four intro flights and NO students. We get payed monthly which kind of sucks. I started out at $15 an hour. I just got bumped up to $16 :nana2:. If i fly with the FSDO guys i get to bill as advanced rates and i get $20 an hour.

My advice to you, is to start cold calling right off the bat. You will feel like a tele-marketer rather than a CFI. Put up fliers at grocery stores and shmoose around at the local bars. If you call up the local radio station and take up a DJ they will plug you on the radio. It's a cheap investment in GREAT advertising. A lot of times your work will cover the cost of the plane because of the advertising.

Marry a rich woman. Then you can flight instruct for ever :D.

-Matt

Back