Somebody's Fakin' The Funk!!!

mtsu_av8er

Somebody\'s Fakin\' The Funk!!!

So, here's my dilema. I attend a large 4-year state university (I won't say which one...
grin.gif
), and I'm an aerospace major with an emphasis in flight dispatch. There are alot of pro-pilot majors, and, well, we know how they are. Truth be told, most of the dispatch folks are people that couldn't cut it as pro-pilot majors, or figured out that it wasn't for them when they learned that pilots don't make $250,000 after a year on the job. Still others just want a different skill in case of a lost medical.

Well, when I got to MTSU, there was a guy in a few classes with me that just seemed to really have his stuff together (at first glance). Here he is, a junior, with about 1700 hours (600 in C90s). Where did he get his experience? Well, he works for a company here in the local area. Depending on what day of the week you talk to him, he either flies a Bonanza and C90 for a local businessman, or he flies a C90 for a medical lab in the area.

The flag was up for me when he asked me if I could take his girlfriend up for a flight when she came into town one weekend (because it had been sooooo long since he's flown a single engine Cessna, and he wasn't checked out locally...). Hmmmm...

Now, either way, the company that he works for is VERY accomodating with regards to his school schedule. No day trips, and if he has a test or something like that to study for, he doesn't fly. Hmmmm.....

So, my friend
grin.gif
looked him up in the very easy-to-access FAA database, and guess what - he doesn't even have a multi-engine ticket! His first-class medical was issues in April of 2001 and he's only a commercial pilot with single engine rating!! Either he's flying illegally, or he's trying to score points with the chicks and the faculty by lying his ARSE off!!!

Do I bust him in class one day with everyone there? Do I post a printout of his certifications on the aerospace board? Do I consult a third party within the faculty??

It just pisses me off royally. Here I am, busting my butt to do well, and he's brown-nosing with the faculty, bragging about all the trips he's been on, and he can't even fly a King Air!!!!

Re: Somebody\'s Fakin\' The Funk!!!

I don't think I show up in the FAA public database because I asked to have my info removed so I can't really vouch for the validity of using the online database to confirm someone's info.

You can always ask him the initial action item with a rapid decompression!

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I would go up and bi*ch slap him upside the head and run like hell. Or you can always do the "I know what you did last summer" note thing (except in this case it would be" I know what you didn't do last summer" and totally freak him out. Good luck!

Start prodding him subtly. Ask him tech questions on the King Air. Poke him with questions in public that he might not be able to easily answer unless he really did have his ducks in a row. Take pleasure in the fact that you're tormenting him, not publicly, but inside. It'll mess with his head trying to come up with more lies and he'll wonder whether you know about his BS or not. Of course, all of this might take some research on your part, but it could be fun.

If you suspect he doesn't really fly a Bonanza either, PM me and I'll give you some good, obscure 'Bo stuff to ask him!

Wow, I just scared myself. It took me all of three seconds to produce that. I swear I'm not evil...
blush.gif

I don't think you have to do anything. Those who cheat eventually get caught.

If really smart guys who were the most powerful people on the face of the earth like Nixon and Clinton got caught......

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I just scared myself. It took me all of three seconds to produce that. I swear I'm not evil...
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiight.....
grin.gif

Yeah, I thought about some of those things both you and Doug mentioned. Wouldn't be hard to get some tech data on the C90 (I know a guy that used to fly one), and that could probably shake him up. He talks alot like he knows what he's talking about, but then he says things that make him sound like an idiot (unless you don't fly...). We were casually shooting the breeze one day and talking about the weather that day, and flying. I mentioned in passing that I'd had to shoot and ILS almost down to minimums because of the overcast, and he responded with, "You're a braver man than me - I've never been lower than 900 feet without going missed".

Imagine that, this guy flies for a company that lets him decide when they're flying based on his school schedule AND the weather!! Are those jobs easy to find??
mad.gif

Never been lower than 900 feet?!??! Dude, does he NOT fly an ILS, ever? Even 500 feet gives you a great margin for error, there. Probably doesn't even know how a turbine engine works. Ask him about bleed air one day and watch the sweat pour.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ask him about bleed air one day and watch the sweat pour.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he's already busted his credibility with me. Often in class, he'll just make himself look like an idiot. Of course, since there are only a few pilots in the class (only he and myself have more than a private with instrument ticket), nobody really knows what he should or shouldn't know, or what's dispatcher stuff and what's not. He asked what altitude Jepp high-altitude enroute charts begin at last week, and he also couldn't decipher routine PIREPS when he was called on in class....

I suppose I could be mistaken, but I don't think so...

[ QUOTE ]
he also couldn't decipher routine PIREPS when he was called on in class

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Sorry, had to laugh. My wife applied for an assistant dispatcher spot for Flight Express (they never called), and I taught her how to read PIREPs, METARs and TAFs in about 3 hours. This guy is just clueless. Just let 'em go, it sounds like he's gonna fail on his own just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, he's already busted his credibility with me. Often in class, he'll just make himself look like an idiot. Of course, since there are only a few pilots in the class (only he and myself have more than a private with instrument ticket), nobody really knows what he should or shouldn't know, or what's dispatcher stuff and what's not. He asked what altitude Jepp high-altitude enroute charts begin at last week, and he also couldn't decipher routine PIREPS when he was called on in class....

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this, I feel even better about my viewpoint. He'll fall on his own. Just sit there and enjoy the show, my friend.

And you don't even have to get your hands dirty!

[ QUOTE ]
Is his name TomCatter?

[/ QUOTE ]
You beat me to it
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Is his name TomCatter?

[/ QUOTE ]

just when I'd almost forgotten about that...
laugh.gif

Sarah

geez, this story sounds familiar...

I've met a few nutcases like this while visiting some pilot schools. Inevitably, we all are given a "get to know you lunch" and when it comes to pilot talk, some people seem bigger than their ratings actually are- or they embellish a rating... It freaks me out sometimes how people can say they've already got a job, fly through all types of dangerous weather in light aircraft, yet they still need to attend an expensive school?

Maybe I'm just a puritan, but I feel every license carries with it a certain amount of responsibility, honor, accomplishment. If you start annoyingly bragging about the mins you've busted with your IR "just because" you knew the terrain, you're hurting that. I can imagine that these types of people look like wild apes to all the non-pilots in this world, making the GA world look even worse (not to sound like Phil Boyer!)

I say, have at him! Ask him Vspeeds, weights, procedures. Down with the Chick-impresser!

One may have "the hours" because of a special privilege, or one just got lucky, but if ya didn't pass the checkride yet, you're still not qualified.

-B

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're just in the mood for some fun.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I think it'd be more fun to watch him screw it all up on his own! You can just sit back, relax, enjoy the show and watch him crash and burn.

Or say something like "Dude! Have you ever mistakenly landed with the condition levers on low before?"
smile.gif

Did he say that he was captain on the King Air and Bonanza? He may know a captain that lets him ride right seat.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, he works for a company here in the local area. Depending on what day of the week you talk to him, he either flies a Bonanza and C90 for a local businessman, or he flies a C90 for a medical lab in the area.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ask him what company he flies for and call them. If they have no record of him and he's telling people that he's employed by the company they will be concerned. The company will want to take action and figure out what's going on. Their reputation is at stake!

[ QUOTE ]
Did he say that he was captain on the King Air and Bonanza? He may know a captain that lets him ride right seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, no...he always talks about flying left seat, and about how stupid some of his FOs are from time to time...
grin.gif
Man, if you guys could hear some of the things he says!!

You see (in his words), he's not sure where he should go with his career. He's in the FAA CTI program for air traffic controllers, and that's probably the track he's going to go. But, the person in charge of the C90 course at FSI wants him to come on the staff and teach systems (with his AGI). But he's lost alot of his interest in flying....

Oh, the idiots in the world...Hey, anybody know folks at FSI??
grin.gif

Back