Some possible interview questions!

[ QUOTE ]
"But your honor, we called the miss right at DA and we sunk 50' low as a natural result of the delay in communication. It's not OUR fault that we hit that cell tower."

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way you'd hit a cell tower by dipping 50' below DA on an ILS. Look in the TERPS.

I too was taught, and teach, that you decide AT the Decision Altitude whether you can continue or must go missed. If that means dipping a few feet below as you make the transition, thats acceptable.

ESF you're right ninety nine times out of a hundred.

But suppose you have the 75' allowable error on the altimeter, and you are off in the edge of the localizer? You go another 20-50' you just might hit something!

Studying the TERPS was one of the most boring things I ever did, but I did study it and I even have the Jepp video! It's great for insomnia.

It comes in a close second behind Archie Trammel's radar videos for narcoleptic seizures.

[ QUOTE ]
"But your honor, we called the miss right at DA and we sunk 50' low as a natural result of the delay in communication. It's not OUR fault that we hit that cell tower."

VIOLATION at the very least!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hope you wouldn't hit anything, because you'd hopefully still be flying the glideslope. I dunno about the airports you have been flying at, but at the airports we fly into, flying the glideslope and localizer will keep you away from any obstacles. A good thing too, if you have ever seen the approaches into MDW.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the call prior to V1 - Matt you said it yourself, you begin the call 5-10 kts prior so you finish the call at V1. Next time say what you mean. You said "I call V1 at V1. Not Before."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying I don't say V1 at a PRESET speed before the bug. I say it so "vee one" is completed at the bug. On some days that can be 7 knots before V1, other days 2 knots before V1. The fact is it, it is different for every individual in every different airplane. Poor Porky Pig would start calling V1 at 30 knots below V1... "a-vee-a-vee-a-vee-vee-one, folks"

[ QUOTE ]
Let me paraphrase the 8400 from memory if I can:
V1 is now called Takeoff Safety Speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be V2.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that in "real life" dropping a little below mins or doing an abort a knot or two past V1 will not cause a problem most of the time. I'm talking about critical situations, like check rides for example. If you have an FAA Inspector on board giving you a line check would you do an abort 5 kts past V1? Dip below mins to "have a look?" I kind of doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, it's ok to abort past V1 "one the line", but not ok with a Fed on board? Same for dipping at mins? Now who is posting questionable procedures?

We aren't talking going below mins to land. We are talking that at mins, you don't have the airport, you call missed, and follow through with the call. If during the missed you descend another 20-50 feet below DH in the natural change from descent on the glideslope to climbing at the GA attitude, that is acceptable. None of us are saying it's ok to descent below DH to "take a look."

[ QUOTE ]
ESF you're right ninety nine times out of a hundred.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I wouldn't go that far....
wink.gif
(I know what you meant, lol)

Point taken though!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

But suppose you have the 75' allowable error on the altimeter, and you are off in the edge of the localizer? You go another 20-50' you just might hit something!

Studying the TERPS was one of the most boring things I ever did, but I did study it and I even have the Jepp video! It's great for insomnia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir,

I believe you are describing procedures for a non-precision approach. As so, I would agree with your descent procedures, altimetry and obstruction clearance parameters 100%. You are correct on a NP approach...don't bust minimums...because you really don't have an accurate assessment of your position relative to obstructions.

With respect to TERPS and precision approaches however, if you are on the glideslope you will clear all obstructions...the only thing you will hit eventually will be the runway. The only exception would be for notams listing the glideslope unusable below 200' which is essentually applicable to autoland capable aircraft.

Yes MD88 I'm referring to NP approaches. GS guarantees obstacle clearance as long as altimeters and setting are correct to within 75'

I had forgotten that several airlines and several publications do refer to V2 as Takeoff Safety Speed. Some even call it V35, the speed flown from rotation to 35' above the runway with one engine inoperative. (First stage climb).

The 8400 calls V1 Takeoff Safety Speed as well, although a better name is probably Takeoff Commited Speed.

I'll refer to it as Takeoff Commited Speed from now on
wink.gif

The instrument rating PTS actually says:

"12. Avoids descent below the DH before initiating a missed approach procedure or transitioning to a normal landing approach.

13. Initiates immediately the missed approach procedure when, at the DH, the required visual references for the intended runway are not distinctly visible and identifiable."

This seems to imply that you may descend below the DH as part of the missed, but not as part of the approach.

Also check out http://www.propilot.com/doc/bbs/messages//8323.html (got the info from here)

Back