Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

I keep bringing Detroit/Ann Arbor up to the girlfriend because Denver is getting ridiculously expensive but she won't even look at it. Says the entire place is a dump. She likes Minneapolis though and I would definitely move there.

Little late, but hey, what the hell.

@jtrain609 is right (• did I just feel a cool draft from hell)

I came to Michigan 10 years ago thinking I would make the best of it. Left 3 years ago thinking I would never come back. Had all the choices of places to live in the US, and where did I come back to? You flipping guessed it. Btw I'm on my like 4th tubing trip of the year thru downtown Ann Arbor. Life is fantastic.

(And don't let Jtrains characterization of outdoor activities discourage you, its just the Zionist elitism seeping in.) Spring/summer/fall in Michigan is outstanding, and winter? It's still warmer than anything minniesooooottttaaaaaa.

Little late, but hey, what the hell.

@jtrain609 is right ( did I just feel a cool draft from hell)

I came to Michigan 10 years ago thinking I would make the best of it. Left 3 years ago thinking I would never come back. Had all the choices of places to live in the US, and where did I come back to? You flipping guessed it. Btw I'm on my like 4th tubing trip of the year thru downtown Ann Arbor. Life is fantastic.

(And don't let Jtrains characterization of outdoor activities discourage you, its just the Zionist elitism seeping in.) Spring/summer/fall in Michigan is outstanding, and winter? It's still warmer than anything minniesooooottttaaaaaa.

For the record, I'm showing her all of these posts. I really like the idea of being detriot based some day, a wide variety of flying. Obviously that is subject to change. I would miss the Rockies, no doubt about that but spending everything on rent, having no hope of finding a two bedroom house for less than 500K, sitting in traffic at all times of the day make it hard for me to envision staying here for the long haul.

My wife is from Michigan and we now live in West Virginia. She grew up an hour north west of Detroit and were already talking about moving to Michigan in the next few years. I had a negative perception of the state but I've grown to love it. Especially spending time up north.

I have the opportunity to become an Assistant Chief Flight Instructor at an AABI approved pt 141 University flight school. It would be a bit of a hassle to do the check rides with the FAA to gain my in house examiner certification. My question is would this be of any great value on applications/resumes for the majors? This would be a side job of sorts after my pt 91 corporate job.

I have the opportunity to become an Assistant Chief Flight Instructor at an AABI approved pt 141 University flight school. It would be a bit of a hassle to do the check rides with the FAA to gain my in house examiner certification. My question is would this be of any great value on applications/resumes for the majors? This would be a side job of sorts after my pt 91 corporate job.
This question is a lot like people asking about volunteering. Everyone asks if it helps, others say yes then people go and do it and as soon as their butt is in a chair in IDOC, going to the pound or the soup kitchen stops. My advice, which is as about as valuable as a wooden nickel is to do it because you WANT to not because you feel that it may give you some sort of an advantage, otherwise you're just mailing it in.

Last edited:
This question is a lot like people asking about volunteering. Everyone asks if it helps, others say yes then people go and do it and as soon as their butt is in a chair in IDOC, going to the pound or the soup kitchen stops. My advice, which is as about as valuable as a wooden nickel is to do it because you WANT to, not because you feel that it may give you some sort of an advantage, otherwise you're just mailing it in.

Exactly. Pilots are getting way too worked up about working for a legacy. It's starting to grow MAJOR old. I'm sick and tired of spending my four day trips hearing my captains whine why Delta hasn't called. Enjoy the flying, dang it. They should complain to their wives (it's all men doing the complaining) and spare me the diatribe. I want to enjoy my flying career and wherever I end up, who cares!!

Exactly. Pilots are getting way too worked up about working for a legacy. It's starting to grow MAJOR old. I'm sick and tired of spending my four day trips hearing my captains whine why Delta hasn't called. Enjoy the flying, dang it. They should complain to their wives (it's all men doing the complaining) and spare me the diatribe. I want to enjoy my flying career and wherever I end up, who cares!!
I agree to smell the roses along the way, but don't lose your drive to get to the next level. It cost me a few years of seniority.

Why is it getting MAJOR old? Just do more to get their first. Those guys that whine that much are the type that don't try enough

Why is it getting MAJOR old? Just do more to get their first. Those guys that whine that much are the type that don't try enough

Oh, for sure, my man. I will be doing whatever I can to make myself better on paper and certainly applying everywhere is the wisest approach in my humble opinion. I don't care whether it's Delta or another good major, LCC, ULCC, or ACMI. I just have very low expectations career-wise, given that I fly with so many high-time applicants not being picked up by anyone--some of them have very impressive backgrounds, too. Meanwhile we all hear stories of run-of-the-mill 3000 hr regional FO of the most average background in this industry hired by Delta because he went to a job fair. There isn't any logic behind it. No point in stressing this out. I am just glad that I am flying airplanes for a living even if I am making average, unimpressive income.

Back