Some initial post NJC '14 thoughts...

And make the name tags font bigger. Some of us, including you @Derg are too vain to wear the cheaters we need, and it makes it tough to read the damn badges. Small print on the ladies badges is fine, then I have an excuse to get in close and stare at their chests (I dont really need an excuse, but it sounds better)

And make the name tags font bigger. Some of us, including you @Derg are too vain to wear the cheaters we need, and it makes it tough to read the damn badges. Small print on the ladies badges is fine, then I have an excuse to get in close and stare at their chests (I dont really need an excuse, but it sounds better)
Mine didn't want to wear hers on her necklace...

So here's what's good and bad about NJC: it's gotten big enough, with enough new faces that I basically don't know anybody.

But there are enough people there that I don't have the time to see all the people I want to see.

I think I talked with @killbilly, @H46Bubba and @Maximillian_Jenius for all of 5 minutes, where I could have spent an afternoon talking each each of you.

Now, part of this has to do with this being an actual vacation for Emily and myself. It's the first time in a year that we were both able to sleep for 10 hours, three nights in a row.

At the same time, part of it is the format of things. One big formal event and a few little group outings. I think that worked well when there were fewer of us, and we all knew each other, but I'm not positive that it does anymore.

Or maybe said a better way, a free form, "do what you want, we'll be doing the NJC thing at X time on Y day" worked before, but I'm not positive it does anymore.

Having the ability to get 20 folks together at a time intentionally helps to prevent from herding cats like we're on an overnight, because let's be honest, that's exactly what this is.

So maybe find a way to create a number of breakout groups, for lack of a better term (and I hate that term), and get people doing things that forces you to meet new people, and allows the kids that have been doing this for years to get together at a place other than the bar. Because the bar is great, but at least personally, I'm past my wild partying days, and find that I avoid it these days.
Tell me about it! I wanted to know all about California Pacific! ;) Dude I totally get the vacation thing. Been there done that!

Yeah, my initial "Nametag on the crotch" thing wasn't really the best siting—thanks to whoever pointed that out. ^.^

Works at furry cons, but those are usually thousands of people across a long weekend, and people don't mind surreptitiously glancing down that way. And the fonts are bigger. ^.~

-Fox

Yeah, my initial "Nametag on the crotch" thing wasn't really the best siting—thanks to whoever pointed that out. ^.^

Works at furry cons, but those are usually thousands of people across a long weekend, and people don't mind surreptitiously glancing down that way. And the fonts are bigger. ^.~

-Fox
Maybe this would help next year? Bet we could get QR codes on an LCD one, but camera flashes may be awkward.....
image.jpg

Ohhhh Firebomb shots?....yes please.

@killbilly. First off, it was great to meet another Aviation Adventure pilot. Great flight school, BTW.
What inspired me about this meet is all the support we'll be getting from these guys. I'm 90% complete with my IR training as well down here in the Hampton Roads area. For me, it's just "fine-tuning" my skills and I'm checkride ready. My wife also supports me financially really. She wants me to finish up because she read an article "Pilot shortage 10 years from now." One of my childhood dreams.

You have a great mindset and a good goal. I've been training for my IR for the last 2 years, most of my instrument flying was spent out in Yokota Air Base in Japan. Being forward deployed for 5-6 months EVERY year for the last 4 years is tough. Gotta get it done. I'm motivated to get my commercial and multi-engine as well. That way, a part time flying gig would be pretty cool.

Hope to make it out to HEF one day.

-Fox
if you were wearing the black jacket, then that was me...Was trying to read it, felt awkward looking at your crotch, so I pointed it out. :)
good times!

I want to be in charge of the wives next year, you nerds go have your fun.

That kind of happened to me. The only business benefit for me being there is to talk about my venture and encourage people to come by when they have a San Diego overnight. I'm mostly there to say hi to people I like who I haven't seen in a while and meet new people.

Once people started getting into serious airplane talk, I wandered away. That's just not a conversation I'm qualified to do anything but nod and smile for so I didn't want to get involved in it.

I went to talk to Kristie for a minute at a table of spouses (okay, wives). A couple of them wandered off and then I was the only person left with this one woman. I really would have felt like a • if I said, hey, I'm going to leave you at this table by yourself so I sat and talked to her until her husband showed up.

So here's what's good and bad about NJC: it's gotten big enough, with enough new faces that I basically don't know anybody.

But there are enough people there that I don't have the time to see all the people I want to see.

I think I talked with @killbilly, @H46Bubba and @Maximillian_Jenius for all of 5 minutes, where I could have spent an afternoon talking each each of you.

Now, part of this has to do with this being an actual vacation for Emily and myself. It's the first time in a year that we were both able to sleep for 10 hours, three nights in a row.

At the same time, part of it is the format of things. One big formal event and a few little group outings. I think that worked well when there were fewer of us, and we all knew each other, but I'm not positive that it does anymore.

Or maybe said a better way, a free form, "do what you want, we'll be doing the NJC thing at X time on Y day" worked before, but I'm not positive it does anymore.

Having the ability to get 20 folks together at a time intentionally helps to prevent from herding cats like we're on an overnight, because let's be honest, that's exactly what this is.

So maybe find a way to create a number of breakout groups, for lack of a better term (and I hate that term), and get people doing things that forces you to meet new people, and allows the kids that have been doing this for years to get together at a place other than the bar. Because the bar is great, but at least personally, I'm past my wild partying days, and find that I avoid it these days.

Yeah maing... it was really good to see and talk to you and shortbread again after so many years away from NJC! Hope that voice gets taken care of!

I had an amazing time. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the "get me there" fund. My goal next year is not only to attend, but also be able to at least provide a ticket to pay it forward. It's always so weird meeting online people...their real life versions never match what you had in your mind. (@MikeD & @Boris Badenov, looking your way guys)

Thanks to @NewYorkophile for crash course in craps, thanks to @jskibo for the crashpad, thanks @jtrain609 for the airport transportation (I think you & I an in agreement as to the lack of doppleganger'ry), and thanks to @Derg & @Kristie for putting together an amazing event. At the beginning of the actual event, I was really nervous since I'm an uber introvert, but I figured that everyone at the very least likes airplanes, so that was my common ground that allowed me to go play extrovert for a few hours.

Pro tip, if you ever get a chance to talk to @Bumblebee , have him tell you the story of how he got to where he is, it's a pretty cool listen!

Back