Some doubts about Phoenix East Aviation

I didn't know about the J-1. Yes, in the Daytona area you can go check Epic Aviation, Sunrise Aviation, they are accredited to issue training visas to foreign students. You will have to demonstrate that you can finance your entire program+housing, food etc. Sunrise offers housing, not sure about Sunrise.
Yeah me too, $32000 at American Flyers, 0 to CFII with multi in 1997. How times have changed.
I'd be cautious with Epic. I know of a few people that had their accounts frozen (with plenty of balance) until they agreed to send more $.

What are the 'apart from a few things' and the 'downs of DAB area'?

What the Emirates captain told me is, there is nothing much to study(I am already on my 3rd year of 4 year BSc. on Computer Science, but I am dropping it) on FBO training and it takes only 1 year to complete all the training. So, does 'study hard' means, 'training hard'?

He told me, its all how much and frequently I fly. But, there is no where mentioned anything like that. Even in Part 141 training, everyone seems to insist that its gonna take long(several months) on each certificate.

All of these sounds pretty contradictory to me. Am I missing something?
There is more to flying that just the physical flying part. There is also material you have to know in order to fly/ communicate/ navigate. There is math involved (and most of it has to be at least partially mental math) as well as understanding the systems of the planes you fly. If you think you won't have to study at all you are sadly mistaken. If you rely on a CFI to teach you everything your cost will be FAR more than what they quote. Phoenix is certainly not the cheapest, but I have heard they are upfront about the costs and what it will take. You could look at Embry Riddle as well. They also offer visas, but I'm not sure what their cost is.
(BTW I have a Masters degree and still had to study. What you need to know for college and what you need to know for flying are two completely different things.)

cfitime is right as I have learned, DAB is a fine place to fly but the city is a DUMP!!!! Lots of crime and migrant people live there. The town for a lack of a better word is a hole.

Hey now. I'm not one to say Daytona is a nice place, but it isn't a town full of gang bangers, thieves and murderers and it sure isn't Detroit. Yes, there are some shady places in Daytona, but there are quite decent to nice places in the immediate area. After having not been back since this past December, I sort of miss it.

I actually kind of like Daytona (at least the areas around the airport. I refuse to fly out of KDAB, but that is because I don't like spending half an hour taxiing and waiting for Delta and Gulfstreams to land while I sit there in a Cessna having to wait for wake. I'm used to taking off with nobody else around or one or two other Cessnas and having a 2 min taxi. I'd much rather pay for the time in the air than sitting on the ground dieing of heat exhaustion. ;)

If you aren't set on Daytona, check out Tailwheels in Winter Haven (I think the website is tailwheelsetc.com, but not positive). They offer visas and will probably cost less than Phoenix. I think they offer a set price, but you'd have to check with them. I know the owners and they are great people. I went there for awhile and only moved because the school I go to is WAY cheaper. If there were even close in price I'd go there.

I actually kind of like Daytona (at least the areas around the airport. I refuse to fly out of KDAB, but that is because I don't like spending half an hour taxiing and waiting for Delta and Gulfstreams to land while I sit there in a Cessna having to wait for wake. I'm used to taking off with nobody else around or one or two other Cessnas and having a 2 min taxi. I'd much rather pay for the time in the air than sitting on the ground dieing of heat exhaustion. ;)
I love flying out of class C airports a lot. Charleston, SC was a ton of fun to learn at. Tons of traffic; Heavy Military, Cargo like Polar and Atlas, Airline and Regional traffic and a bit of GA traffic as well. I learned a lot about pattern work and tower comms. As far a Daytona it has a HUGE amout of sex offenders in the 32114 zip code, something I worry about with my girlfriend living with me in Daytona.

If you want to get F-1 visa and work as a flight instructor after your training is done you might want to consider Hillsboro Aviation. The weather isn't as nice as in Florida, but the rates are reasonable and you pay after each lesson.

PEA is comprised of foreign CFI's teaching foreign students. They have 8 or so G1000 172's, the same amount of round-dial 172's, four (VERY expensive) DA42's, four Piper Seneca's (you couldn't pay me to fly one of those things. old as !), and four 60's piper arrow's. I know four or five people who train there and like any other business, they enjoy making money (which is how they've kept the operation going for so long). PEA pilots are good enough- no ego's unlike their ERAU counterparts. PEA charges a wet rate for aircraft rental, but charges an additional "fuel surcharge"- basically a way to make more $$$. To teach at PEA you are required to get your CFII and CFI-A certificates. The quoted prices are BARE MINIMUM- if you bust your ass studying and make no mistakes (which rarely ever happens) then you will come close to the quoted figure. If you fail lessons here and there, over time the quoted program price will be no where near the price you end up paying. I don't know where your Emerates captain trained, but going from zero flight time to CFI/CFII is a lot of hard work- you really have to want it. Fortunately, foreigners (in Asia, Africa, and South America) can usually hop into an airliner with the ink still wet on their CMEL ticket.

STAY AWAY from PEA! Unprofessional instructors. Slow program. Poorly managed. In their website, they claim their instructor to student ratio is 1-3, that’s a lie! My instructor had 9 students. He kept complaining how tired he was and not to mention he was vaping inside the plane (while in flight). They will claim they are in business for 47 years and have trained more than 12,000 students, but bigger is not better. If you don’t have any expectations go ahead and try your luck, but the truth is, you are just a number to them.

Back