Solo IFR questions..

You don't need to be in actual IMC for the entire approach in order to log it. I would bet that most people have very few approaches where they are IMC all the way to the DA, usually you are going to break out well before minimums otherwise we wouldn't log many approaches.

As far how much of the approach needs to be in IMC, it's not really defined, just says the approaches need to be completed in actual weather conditions. If you needed those instrument skills to get you from the FAF to the DA or the MAP, you conducted the approach in actual weather conditions as far as I am concerned. Most people log it if they were IMC at all from the FAF.

As far as breaking off the approach, why would you want to do that? If there was a good reason, like maybe ATC directs you to go missed, I would log it as long as I had started down on the approach. If you are just doing it to cheat the system, well... the only person you are cheating is yourself.

And lets be honest here, six approaches in six months isn't exactly going to keep the rust off of your IFR skills so I would do everything possible to keep it challenging and meaningful.

Hi, It's been a while since I have filed and flown IFR and I have a few questions. I am finishing up my IPC soon and I plan to do some IFR timebuilding over the summer. I want to slowly work my way from VFR to MVFR, to IFR.

1. Once I get the IPC, let's say I plan and file a Solo IFR x country on a nice VMC day. As I get to the destination airport, they are landing and departing visually or using a non ILS equipped runway. Can I ask ATC to set me up for the ILS approach and then circle to land on the active runway or go missed and return for a landing? I was understanding that ATC may say maintain VFR and clear me for the approach, but if I am solo who is looking for traffic? Will I still be able to do the approach and receive traffic separation or do I need a safety pilot?

(a) If you are operating on an IFR clearance, you will not hear the words, "maintain VFR." (b) Being under IFR does not in any way, shape or form, remove your obligation to see and avoid traffic when conditions allow it; you need to divide your attention and include outside in your scan. (c) If heading to a non-towered airport, you can ask for whatever approach you want and ATC will go along 99% of the time.

2. How do you log an instrument approach solo to maintain IFR currency? I understand the safety pilot thing to do the 6 approaches under the hood, but what about when solo? Dose the whole approach has to be in IMC, or if I break out before minimums would that count as one approach for currency?
Read my FAQ, "How Much Actual Is Required to Log an Instrument Approach?"

3. Can you active your return IFR flight plan while enroute? For example I plan to shoot the approach to XYZ airport, go missed, and then return to ABC home airport on the second IFR flight plan I had filed before departing.
Yes. You can activate an IFR flight plan in the air.

4. What are some good ways to prep and stay organized for single pilot IFR? I seem to have trouble with folding charts and keeping everything in place and neat.

As others said, these days, a tablet EFB is an acceptable and excellent tool. For paper, I've always liked the IFR Flight File, available a number of places, including Amazon.
31%2BHzW87QGL.jpg

Back