Solo IFR questions..

jspeed87

Hi, It's been a while since I have filed and flown IFR and I have a few questions. I am finishing up my IPC soon and I plan to do some IFR timebuilding over the summer. I want to slowly work my way from VFR to MVFR, to IFR.

1. Once I get the IPC, let's say I plan and file a Solo IFR x country on a nice VMC day. As I get to the destination airport, they are landing and departing visually or using a non ILS equipped runway. Can I ask ATC to set me up for the ILS approach and then circle to land on the active runway or go missed and return for a landing? I was understanding that ATC may say maintain VFR and clear me for the approach, but if I am solo who is looking for traffic? Will I still be able to do the approach and receive traffic separation or do I need a safety pilot?

2. How do you log an instrument approach solo to maintain IFR currency? I understand the safety pilot thing to do the 6 approaches under the hood, but what about when solo? Dose the whole approach has to be in IMC, or if I break out before minimums would that count as one approach for currency?

3. Can you active your return IFR flight plan while enroute? For example I plan to shoot the approach to XYZ airport, go missed, and then return to ABC home airport on the second IFR flight plan I had filed before departing.

4. What are some good ways to prep and stay organized for single pilot IFR? I seem to have trouble with folding charts and keeping everything in place and neat.

Thanks.

You can always ask ATC for an ILS to a different runway, however if it is opposite direction to traffic or conflicting with the other arrivals it may be denied.

1. Yes - if you are ever in VMC even on an IFR flight plan you are still responsible for seeing and avoiding traffic. You will be still given separation, you are on an an IFR flight plan.

3. Yes - you could also land and pick it up on the ground if you need a minute.

4. Prepare and stay organized. Have charts pre-folded and highlighted and a pad of paper on your kneeboard. Tab out approaches in your volume, or just what airport, as well as alternates, and route of flight deviations in the event of an emergency. You can use a color tab system and/or right on them if need be.

Brief, brief, brief on the ground. Also, if you're a low time IMC pilot, then double your personal minimums. Don't push your limits in weather.

I was pounded that throughout my 141 training and it helps tremendously. Going IMC can rattle the mind a bit and if you're folding charts, doing head down work, and not prepared for your approach or etc. then you're way behind the aircraft.

Also, make sure your school/aircraft rental location doesn't have any rules against solo IMC or etc. I knew my 61 school did for insurance policies, and my college had an SOP part that stated "cannot fly IMC solo". I was flying and ATC gave me a vector into the clouds. I told them I would be going IMC, they asked if I could open a IFR local, I said I could because I thought I wasn't breaking any rules (didn't break a FAR)....knew there was no icing, just a summer rainstorm...had a glass cockpit and autopilot so I was very situtationally aware and broke out 2000' AGL...

Turns out chief flight instructor was in the pattern listening....asked if I got any actual time...said "Oh sweet that's awesome" then had a text an hour later from the Director of Ops and got grounded for 3 days. Was told to never fly IMC solo, I don't have experience.

So moral of the story...make sure you aren't breaking any rules...obviously with the feds and who's aircraft you fly. I failed at this and had an SOP violation. Thankfully not a bad learning experience for interviews though.

For your approaches to count WITHOUT a safety pilot you'll need to be in IMC conditions.

In SoCal the Marine layer rolls in often. Say 600' and 10 miles. You'll often find me in the RADAR pattern before the tower even opens. Usually VMC on the RADAR downwind, goes IMC turning base.

OnTop.jpg

4. Prepare and stay organized. Have charts pre-folded and highlighted and a pad of paper on your kneeboard. Tab out approaches in your volume, or just what airport, as well as alternates, and route of flight deviations in the event of an emergency. You can use a color tab system and/or right on them if need be.

OR

Make sure your iPad is charged.

For your approaches to count WITHOUT a safety pilot you'll need to be in IMC conditions.

In SoCal the Marine layer rolls in often. Say 600' and 10 miles. You'll often find me in the RADAR pattern before the tower even opens. Usually VMC on the RADAR downwind, goes IMC turning base.

OnTop.jpg

So if you are doing the approach and breakout well above minimums dose that still count? All I read is actual or simulated conditions, but it doesn't say how much actual is needed for the approach to count.

1. Once I get the IPC, let's say I plan and file a Solo IFR x country on a nice VMC day. As I get to the destination airport, they are landing and departing visually or using a non ILS equipped runway. Can I ask ATC to set me up for the ILS approach and then circle to land on the active runway or go missed and return for a landing? I was understanding that ATC may say maintain VFR and clear me for the approach, but if I am solo who is looking for traffic? Will I still be able to do the approach and receive traffic separation or do I need a safety pilot?
Yes you can, you can request for any approach you like. Controllers will clear you, workload and traffic flow depending. On the traffic part, it is still your responsability, but if you're IFR solo, let the controller you want to do practice approaches so he can help you out with traffic. In oer words, don't use a hood, focus on your instruments, but avoid the temptatioj to look outside. That's what I normally do.

2. How do you log an instrument approach solo to maintain IFR currency? I understand the safety pilot thing to do the 6 approaches under the hood, but what about when solo? Dose the whole approach has to be in IMC, or if I break out before minimums would that count as one approach for currency?
FAR states that the approach is done with reference to instruments only. So, if Wearing a hood Solo isn't safe, the only way to fly with reference to instruments only is in actual. Since it doesn't state that the full approach has to be done, I log it if cleared and I run through even just a small cloud.

3. Can you active your return IFR flight plan while enroute? For example I plan to shoot the approach to XYZ airport, go missed, and then return to ABC home airport on the second IFR flight plan I had filed before departing.
Yes. You can even do a long flight plan for the whole part. File and go fly. If, say, you're flying from a non controlled field, VFR departure, call center after leaving the pattern. Tell them you're ready to pick up IFR clearance, they'll give you a Squawk and tell you to remain VFR till your clearance rout is read back.

4. What are some good ways to prep and stay organized for single pilot IFR? I seem to have trouble with folding charts and keeping everything in place and neat.
Stay on top and ahead of things. USE YOUR AUTOPILOT, but keep an eye on him. Brief the approach as soon as you pick up ATIS or you're told what to expect. Brief your missed procedure as well. I find it very handy to do this: After you've briefed the full approach, I go one step at a time, IE next fix, what altitude, heading and course should I have, and what to do immediately after. Once you pass it, next one. And so On. For the organized part, Try an iPad or a tablet. Try to keep your Checklists in the same place and handy. And finally, at your home base, try to get comfortable with the most common approach, and get an idea of obstructions in the approach path, so you can improve your mental picture when you're in actual.
Hope this helps , take care

So if you are doing the approach and breakout well above minimums dose that still count? All I read is actual or simulated conditions, but it doesn't say how much actual is needed for the approach to count.

This one could start a lot of discussion... everyone seems to do it different and have different opinions. My thought, and the way I log it is if I am in IMC (or above a layer and cannot see the runway) and ATC clears me for the approach I log it as an instrument approach. If it's clear blue and a zillion I do not log it (even if I am cleared for and fly the approach). My rule is based on the conditions I am in (or expect to be in) when ATC clears me for the approach.

I thought I was kind of loose with this until I read others responses. I log it as an approach if:
  • The airport is operating under IFR.
  • I'm in IMC inside the FAF.

What are some good ways to prep and stay organized for single pilot IFR? I seem to have trouble with folding charts and keeping everything in place and neat.
One other thing that has helped me tremendously is to video tape yourself flying. Put a GoPro to work and forget about. You'll be surprised on how much you can learn from yourself by doing this. Some I upload to my own youtube channel. After a while you can see your own progress.

Hope this helps!

Take Care

In terms of picking up a clearance enroute, you might find it easier to pick it up airborne than on the ground. Assuming you can stay clear of terrain and clouds safely. A few of the mountain airports I fly out of will require you to climb to establish communications. To me it is just easier, but you have to be organized and have time to copy a clearance.... Another brilliant feature is bluetooth headsets, which I can call for a clearance on the ground.

I do it all the time and often don't have a clearance on file. Works best with the approach controller near your destination, not enroute with an ARTCC. This is really old and shot before HD but you can see how easy it works. My passenger was a little so I did some extra talking to her.

You could take a private pilot with you to watch for traffic....then log everything ifr simulated.

Absolutely. Also, you can add some redundancy by downloading foreflight mobile onto your iPhone.

Word of caution though, make sure you have all the appropriate downloads.

IMC within the FAF and you can log it for currency.
I'm not implying you are not correct, but do you have anything solid you an quote to back that up?

Appreciate the responses thus far. From what I have researched so far: §61.51(g)(1) and §61.57(c)(1)(i); Again the only place where it defines logging “instrument flight time” means “. . . a person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments . . . .” As for logging an “actual” approach, it would presume the approach to be to the conclusion of the approach which would mean the pilot go down to the decision height or to the minimum decent altitude, as appropriate. If what you’re asking is whether it is okay to fly to the FAF and break it off and then log it as accomplishing an approach, the answer is NO.” (Frequently Asked Questions – 14 CFR, Part 61, Pilot Examiner Standardization Team, AFS-640)

It really is a complicated subject but it seems like the entire approach has to be done in actual conditions for it to count. However, could one fly the approach in actual conditions and then go missed before breaking out? Would that still count as a approach or dose it need to be flown down to DA or MDA?

Back