SOCAL Tracon

sigmanu499

Just incase anyone cares, Socal got evacuated today because of the fires. There is a IFR ground stop for flights into socals airspace. LA Center is trying to work the airspace, but I think mostly only for air carriers.

Yeah - if you have not seen it on CNN it is a huge mess here - about 300,000 acres have burnt in fires all around the basin. The closest fire to me is some 30-40 miles away and overnight we received a ton of ash - you should see our pool!!!

I am due to get on a QF flight tonight to AU. Hopefully it being such a late departure and heading out of the pacific it should not be effected (I hope) - but in the mean time it is between ABC7 and Qantas.com just waiting for my flight, which will hopefully be on time.

yep, part of the reason its closed down is because San Diego center or approach or something like that is being threatened by the fires in san diego. Also new word on the San Bernadino fires, over 300 homes have been destroyed and 14 are dead. It's basically raining ash (not hard, but coming down none-the-less) here in North Tustin, and everything is a mess.

NBC just said that Southwest and America West canceled all flights for tonight. That really sucks, another blow to the airline industry.

Yeah and everything smells of smoke with visibilities of 3 or less.

Today and yesterday the sky has had kind of an orangish tint, with ash raining down, 90*+ temps, and hot winds.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah and everything smells of smoke with visibilities of 3 or less.

Today and yesterday the sky has had kind of an orangish tint, with ash raining down, 90*+ temps, and hot winds.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought Ohio sucked. Hope it gets better out there soon...

And to think, there was supposed to be a small airshow around here today at some naval base, wonder if that got cancelled?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just north of Miramar in the Carmel Mountain Ranch area.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's insane! When I'm home I live in the Vista area, but I have family and friends all over the place (Escondido, Rancho Bernardo especially). Any fires going on in North County?

I'm actually in Rancho Bernardo (Bernardo Heights/Carmel Mtn--I live just off Camino del Norte near RBHS).

The Camp Pendleton fire is largely under control, but the Ramona/Poway fire is what's in the pics I posted in the other thread. That fire, incidentally, was intentionally started by a lost hunter--this, after the FCC goes to all the trouble to permit Personal Locater Beacons for that very use! Grrr. Somewhat ironically, Ramona is a fire tanker base 4-5 minutes from that fire, but the CDF tankers are up north dealing with the San Bernardino fires, and the fire is in an area sort of inaccessible by air.

Scripps Ranch was pretty much wiped out from what I've heard; a friend's parents were evacuated from there at 9 this morning, I'm pretty sure their house is toast. If the tv reports can be relied upon, things seem to be mellowing a tad now, but when the Santa Anas pick up tomorrow, it could get ugly.

[ QUOTE ]
And to think, there was supposed to be a small airshow around here today at some naval base, wonder if that got cancelled?

[/ QUOTE ]What naval base are you talking about? The Miramar airshow was last weekend.

Where is SoCal tracon located? I've always thought tracon was usually in the windowless floors below the tower cab. But, I know SoCal is a special situation.

Hey everyone,

Socal TRACON is located in San Diego. It used to be, like you said, that the each major airport had its own TRACON underneath the tower, but that has sinced been phased out at most airports. I think that Seattle and Portland may have the TRACON underneath the tower, and possibly Dulles, but the for the most part, the TRACON is seperate form the tower. It also used to be that tower controllers and TRACON controllers were employees of the same facility and rotated between positions (i.e one hour working Ground, next hour working Approach, etc.), but now, with the exception of DFW I believe, the controllers are separate.

I think that TRACON is beneath the tower here at CVG. Thought I had heard someone tell me that once. But if wrong please let me know as it'd be something interesting to find out about my airport.
laugh.gif

Everett

The SoCal TRACON is right next to MCAS Miramar, just off I-15 at Miramar Road here in San Diego, behind the Holiday Inn on what used to be Navy land. It's a nice place, was built only a couple years ago.

I was trying to NONREV home on Southwest today from ABQ. ABQ was already a mess due to the national championship horse show I was attending - everyone was flying home today. Everything in and out of SoCal (which affected almost every single SWA flight at ABQ) was massively delayed. And by the time evening came around, all the crews were getting to the point where they weren't legal anymore.

I was going home to MCI and the last 2 flights ended up leaving within 15 minutes of each other - they somehow dug up crew to fly both, I made the last flight and I got home at almost 2am. I was lucky - tons of paying pax on LA and SD flights, even one PHX one, were sent to hotels for the night. There were a couple hundred sleeping on the concourse floor.

Sorry for what you SoCal guys are going through - it must be utterly horrible. I can't imagine the swiftness with which that stuff moves. Condolences for those who have lost loved ones and/or their homes.

Sarah

Scripps Ranch is toast? Man...what a shame.

I've been contacting friends and family out there tonight trying to get the scoop on what's going on, and especially if everyone is safe. It's terrible being out of state watching this.

And aloft, I know exactly where you're referring to. I worked right around there all summer. Scary.

There is also another fire which started in Valley Center and as of last night was spilling over into Escondido. I live In San Marcos and my dad lives on top of a big hill in Escondido. You could see the smoke and flames by Lake Dixon. Escondido PD had East Valley Prkwy and Citris/El Norte closed down. We're waiting to see how today will turn out as soon as the sun rises and the wind picks up. Then there was that aircraft that tried to take of from MYF and crashed on the 163. Burst into flames! No survivors that I know of.

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to NONREV home on Southwest today from ABQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope I don't have any problems on Wed. I'm non-reving out of MCO to ABQ then taking Mesa to Farmington. Never been to ABQ, but my wife and I are thinking of moving out that direction. Might be a nice recon trip.
smile.gif

LAX TRACON used to be in the old Coast Guard hanger on the south end of the airport...right next to the old terminal building. I think it's a freeway onramp now. I worked there in the mid-80's.

Back