SOCAL Tracon

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just north of Miramar in the Carmel Mountain Ranch area.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's insane! When I'm home I live in the Vista area, but I have family and friends all over the place (Escondido, Rancho Bernardo especially). Any fires going on in North County?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope TomCatter is OK.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I hope TomCatter is OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn it, Mike, you beat me to it!
laugh.gif

BTW - I flew with one of your fellow USAF servicemen over the weekend (a real one
wink.gif
) - a lt. col. at Kirtland in ABQ. Flies C130s. He did my tailwheel endorsement while I was in ABQ for a short weekend vacation. Great guy.

Sarah

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And to think, there was supposed to be a small airshow around here today at some naval base, wonder if that got cancelled?

[/ QUOTE ]What naval base are you talking about? The Miramar airshow was last weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I want to say Seal Beach but I am almost sure Seal Beach doesn't have a naval base. I still can't remember, all I know is I played golf on the base's course last 2 weekends ago.

Flew down to Edwards yesterday and over the mountains could see the tops of the smoke clouds billowing at around 9000. Looked like massive thunderstorms.

Up in Ventura the smoke is so bad its hard to breath. They showed some think on TV about what the smoke does for your lungs, its scary.

As for the TRACON stuff, more and more TRACONs are being consolidated. With in a few years Pt. Mugu App is going to be come part of Santa Barbara or may be Socal thats still trying to be worked out. Of course the new NORCAL app took every thing from Monterey up way past Sacramento including Bay App. I know a guy to just got transfered to Norcal, he cant wait to start. This fire just showed what the problem is with building big tracons, if there is a problem in one place traffic is messed up for a huge area.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone old enough, flying-wise, to remember when it was Coast Approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
smile.gif

I just call everyone "center" or "approach" now. When you call "Salt Lake Center" "LA Center", they get all verklempt, or especially when you call "Indy" "Atlanta" they get all pissy too.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone old enough, flying-wise, to remember when it was Coast Approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
smile.gif

I just call everyone "center" or "approach" now. When you call "Salt Lake Center" "LA Center", they get all verklempt, or especially when you call "Indy" "Atlanta" they get all pissy too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Cali, Doug. Is the B-17 still on display at Tulare?

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Cali, Doug. Is the B-17 still on display at Tulare?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! B-17 and an F-4!
smile.gif
Tulare is a tourism Mecca now!

Back