So...where are the freight dogs ?

fr8dog

Just wondering, it's lunch time now in the freight dog world...
Where's everybody ??
(u can tell i'm bored right?)

working obvioulsy....
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I hardly ever work...flew 100 hours last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that the norm for UPS or is it the norm for your aircraft type? Could it even be by choice?

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the norm for UPS or is it the norm for your aircraft type?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it certainly isn't the norm here at UPS...unless, of course, you're a very senior f/o like Don on our "country club"
smile.gif
B727 fleet.

I flew well over 500 hours the first year on the Scarebus and average 400-500/yr since. I flew that much a year on the B75/76. The number of hours you fly all depend on your fleet type, seniority # in seat and whether or not you bid reserve or a regular line.

UPS guys, how many days off per month do you average? Also, how long are your average overnights? This goes for our resident FedEx pilot(s) as well!

Average typical layover would be 14 hours and average typical days off would be 16 out of 28.

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering, it's lunch time now in the freight dog world...
Where's everybody ??
(u can tell i'm bored right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess til i am employable i will be a fr8 pup here working my tail off at work and school in unpleasant Columbus, OH.
grin.gif

What are you taking about, they have pretty good tv over at the FBO there...

Yes, freight flying can be boring at time...between the last captian and I we had the following with us...

2 Ipods
1 XM radio
1 Playstation 2
1 X-BOX
2 Laptops
17 DVDs.

If you ever walking into an FBO and see two guys that look like lineguys playing ps2 and using every other outlet in the pilot lounge to charge up stuff, well, that's us.

[ QUOTE ]
What are you taking about, they have pretty good tv over at the FBO there...

Yes, freight flying can be boring at time...between the last captian and I we had the following with us...

2 Ipods
1 XM radio
1 Playstation 2
1 X-BOX
2 Laptops
17 DVDs.

If you ever walking into an FBO and see two guys that look like lineguys playing ps2 and using every other outlet in the pilot lounge to charge up stuff, well, that's us.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys have certainly moved up from back in my day in cargo, where I had a book/novel, and if I was really lucky, maybe a first-generation Game Boy.
laugh.gif

Mike I was wondering why you were posting in the Dawgs forum - but then I realized you deliver courtsey packages care of the US government right to peoples door!

[ QUOTE ]
Mike I was wondering why you were posting in the Dawgs forum - but then I realized you deliver courtsey packages care of the US government right to peoples door!

[/ QUOTE ]

That, and I flew 135 cargo for 3 years prior to.

I am GOING to be a freight dawg in a few weeks, since I am getting picked aboard a 135 UPS contractor with only about 930 hours or so, I will be put on a reliably VFR run until I get to 1200 later this summer.

Are there any web links or sites particuarly suited towards cargo pilot experiences?

Cool. What's the name of the company and what/where will you fly to? I used to flying into MHR a lot and hope to do more flying on the left coast once I get based in ONT.

well,
The company is Redding Aero. I think www.reddingjet.com is the link, a UPS contractor/feeder. I was lucky enough to begin without 'all' the mins, so I will be VFR only from RDD to Montague, CA, twice a day, and back for a few months.

I actually will keep CFI-ing a little bit. I like most of my students and want to continue instrument instruction.

I got to admit, I am a little nervous about the nature of all the flying. I am happy that I will have the summer to get comfy in the C-402C and by this fall, I suppose I will be bored enough I will be praying for some IFR work.

Back