So...where are the freight dogs ?

Bluelake, say "Hi!" to Jack for me. How is his Spad coming along? Will he make Osh? And was your interview you driving him to lunch?

As for the freight dawgs, I'm hauling avionics on call. It's mostly Friday eve/Mon morning trips with the occasional Sat/Sun flight for when the owner is working on site. I'm happy to say I haven't had any excitement with the outfit.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Jedi,
I actually have not talked to Jack yet.. I am doing ground school and flight training with Vic Clarke, VP of Ops. I probably shouldnt say this, but i did not interview with anyone there.. (yet?). Just sorta kept my nose clean and some nice folks here in Redding went to bat for me.

I start flight training next week and then will be assigned to MAther-Reno-Quincy-Susanville-Quincy-Chico-Mather. Its a high flight time route for them and I need it, since I am below 1200 tt still.

I passed my VFR checkride this AM and am planning to begin real work on Monday !!! I even got a special bonus, was asked to fly up with another pilot to pick up some 204lb boxes in a CE-404. Kinda a weird airplane. It looked and felt like Conquest, but is piston.

[ QUOTE ]
I passed my VFR checkride this AM and am planning to begin real work on Monday !!! I even got a special bonus, was asked to fly up with another pilot to pick up some 204lb boxes in a CE-404. Kinda a weird airplane. It looked and felt like Conquest, but is piston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a few hours in the ole Titan. Neat plane. One of my collegues flying for a cargo company in NM used to let me jump back and forth.

well, I am off to do my first week of flying boxes. Will report what its all like next weekend or so for anyone interested.

3 weeks into the box-hauling biz in northern Cali has been GREAT.

The job so far had been an experience. It seems each day there is something new to think about, either a systems-related issue on our "senior" CE-402C's, or managnig weather along the route (I am VFR-restricted until I hit 1200 hours). The UPS loads are varied too, from picking up 10 lbs of letters in Susanville, CA to completely filling up in Chico, CA (including several boxes of honey bees). Speaking of loads, I picked up about 300 lbs of coolers filled with drug test results from railroad employees... upon climbout the load shifted back further aft than desired. I learned a lesson on THAT leg!!!!!

Once I get a collection of cool digital pics, I might ask Doug if I can do a thing on freight flying (like the careers section). not that freight flying is the end-all, but I think it is a "next-job" for lots of us on this board, especially CFI's out there, and it would be cool to see some insights into this type of work. I had no idea what it was like before getting this job. So far it great!

[ QUOTE ]

Once I get a collection of cool digital pics, I might ask Doug if I can do a thing on freight flying (like the careers section). not that freight flying is the end-all, but I think it is a "next-job" for lots of us on this board, especially CFI's out there, and it would be cool to see some insights into this type of work. I had no idea what it was like before getting this job. So far it great!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great! I'd love to learn more about the freight flying biz.
smile.gif

Who do you work for?

Redding Aero Enterprises. I think I am they're newest pilot. They fly some charter and several UPS "feeder" routes. Like I said previously, a little mini-Ameriflight.

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of loads, I picked up about 300 lbs of coolers filled with drug test results from railroad employees... upon climbout the load shifted back further aft than desired. I learned a lesson on THAT leg!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluelake....bad-bad, but good lesson learned that wasn't serious Watch that aft-CG; Amerflight lost a 1900C at SEA on landing after the plane stalled on final from improper cargo loading and an excessive aft CG condition. CG condition was from imporper/non-standardized loading procedures, and failure of the PIC to oversee loading ops. It's a very real threat to guard against in your job. I had to when I worked it. What do you use to secure cargo in your bird? On the Chieftain, Metro and Caravan, we had a cargo net separating the cockpit from the cabin, and additionally a cargo net that went over the cargo in the cabin, with varying secure points depending on the amount of cargo.

You keep your ERG2000 guide handy?

That brings up a good point.... and probably a really, really stupid question: In most cargo ops, is the CG "marked" somewhere in the plane so that the pilot/loaders know where to load and where NOT to load?

[ QUOTE ]
probably a really, really stupid question: In most cargo ops, is the CG "marked" somewhere in the plane so that the pilot/loaders know where to load and where NOT to load?

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's a stupid question, then it's one we both have. I know in the bins of our 737s, the CG and weight limits are marked every so often. The numbers are so high there's no way I can figure that math out in my head. Our load forms have the same numbers and a better breakdown. It's easier to go by those than the markings in the bins.

[ QUOTE ]
Bluelake....bad-bad, but good lesson learned that wasn't serious Watch that aft-CG; Amerflight lost a 1900C at SEA on landing after the plane stalled on final from improper cargo loading and an excessive aft CG condition. CG condition was from imporper/non-standardized loading procedures, and failure of the PIC to oversee loading ops. It's a very real threat to guard against in your job. I had to when I worked it. What do you use to secure cargo in your bird? On the Chieftain, Metro and Caravan, we had a cargo net separating the cockpit from the cabin, and additionally a cargo net that went over the cargo in the cabin, with varying secure points depending on the amount of cargo.

You keep your ERG2000 guide handy?

[/ QUOTE ]
What's an ERG2000 guide?

[ QUOTE ]

Bluelake....bad-bad, but good lesson learned that wasn't serious Watch that aft-CG;

[/ QUOTE ]

CE-402C's tend to be easily loaded aft CG. It was about 240lb of coolers (drug test samples I think) and it was pretty much all I had.

The more I have to carry, the less of a problem this is. I definitaly prefer the vertical nets, keeps small loads where you put them.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bluelake....bad-bad, but good lesson learned that wasn't serious Watch that aft-CG;

[/ QUOTE ]

CE-402C's tend to be easily loaded aft CG. It was about 240lb of coolers (drug test samples I think) and it was pretty much all I had.

The more I have to carry, the less of a problem this is. I definitaly prefer the vertical nets, keeps small loads where you put them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know what you mean. My buddy that flew Cessna 404 Titans for a cargo company out of ABQ had somewhat the same problem. An interesting thing....the Chieftain is almost completely the opposite. If you fully load the thing with fuel and have no cargo onboard, the CG of our birds was actually in excess of the forward limit! There was lead weights we'd fly with if ever in this condition. It was real tough to put a PA-31 on it's tail, unless you loaded a ton of heavy stuff in area D of the cabin [Chieftain has six areas for load, if I remember correctly, A-F....A being the nose compartment, B behind the cockpit, C center of cabin over the wings, D area of cabin from trailing edge to the back side of the airstairs, E small shelf of the aft wall of the cabin....F being the right and left wing lockers.]

When the load crews would bring the bins of cargo out, I'd always have them point the heavy stuff out, and single that out; but manily single out cargo depending on the destination. Depending on fit (and of course, weight limit for the particular Area), most of the heavy stuff would go in the nose locker.....and it'd rarely be full, simply because the heavy stuff tended to be bulkier. If it didn't fit there, I'd throw the bulk heavy stuff in Area B/C. Everything else, I'd pack around that stuff. Wing lockers, I'd save for envelopes and small boxes.

Key item: Since I always had multiple stops, it was a BIG no-no to "miss" dropping off something at a stop; eg- getting to your last stop and finding something "left over" that should've been dropped off previously. You see before where I said that I'd separate cargo on the ramp by destination...that was so I'd get a good mental "picture" of how much and what should be dropped off at each stop. In addition to that, I'd, if at all possible, try to load cargo for the last stop first, and first stop last. That way at an intermediate stop, I wasn't having to dig into the cabin past cargo I need to keep on board, in order to get to cargo I had to drop off. Further to that, I'd try to keep "markers" in the cabin between the cargo in order to "separate" cargo going to different places.....this helps to avoid the "missing a box" no-no previously mentioned. Some items I used to do this varied. If I had larger boxes, I'd use them as "walls" to separate cargo that was going to different destinations. If it was smaller stuff, then I'd use the cockpit window sun shades crammed inbetween cargo from different destinations in order to act as a wall. Additionally, I'd make a rough aircraft diagram with the various cargo Areas labled with a destination airport ICAO identifier, so I could know at a glance what was where. I'd make this diagram on the backside of my weight and balance sheet, that way I could keep it, since the front copy of the W/B sheet was kept by the station manager, while the carbon copy page was kept in the aircraft, and my diagram made on the back.

Sorry for the ramble...you just got me reminicing about my life 10 years ago.....almost 10 years ago to this very month.
spin2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the ramble...you just got me reminicing about my life 10 years ago.....almost 10 years ago to this very month.
spin2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And then it was "Craig Funk" time!
smile.gif
"Schmokin' hole!"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

spin2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And then it was "Craig Funk" time!
smile.gif
"Schmokin' hole!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig Funk defined the word "professional."

Talk about a squared-away guy!

Who was Craig Funk?

and

Just curious, Mike, but do you ever wonder what you would be doing if you had stayed at the 135 freight job (as opposed to AF) and worked your way up? 10 years is about what it took me to go from ERAU grad to UPS.

Back