So what's it like to fly in the Northeast today?

tomek_vector

So what\'s it like to fly in the Northeast today?

How about everyone making a living flying in this cold? What's happening to the bodies and planes when it get's that cold ON THE GROUND?

Re: So what\'s it like to fly in the Northeast today?

A balmy 13* F, with a windchill of -2 and steady snow here in NE Ohio today.

[ QUOTE ]
How about everyone making a living flying in this cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've probably forgotten how to fly. I've flown 1.3 hrs. in the past 40 days (yes, forty...thats not a typo). Every single bill I have is late and all my parents say is, "sorry". Ahhh...I'm really kicking myself in the arse right now for not taking that instructing job in FL that was offered to me a couple weeks ago.
crazy.gif

As a side note, this downtime is giving me time to work on my backup plan. I know several NYS Troopers (one in recruiting- I'm basically a shoe-in if I want it...and who wouldn't with a $52k/year starting salary), so in a couple of months I'll be taking the academy entrance exam. If things don't improve by this summer, flying is sadly going to have to become my part-time job- at least for awhile.

It's cold. They have already announced a two-hour delay for our school tomarrow. It is currently -24C. PLUS windchill. Windchill was hitting around -30F.

[ QUOTE ]
As a side note, this downtime is giving me time to work on my backup plan. I know several NYS Troopers (one in recruiting- I'm basically a shoe-in if I want it...and who wouldn't with a $43k/year starting salary), so in a couple of months I'll be taking the academy entrance exam. If things don't improve by this summer, flying is sadly going to have to become my part-time job- at least for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry ESF, if you have to make flying a part-time thing like some of us, the good thing is that flying stays in your heart and you can fund the addiction.

Yeah, I don't think I'd mind instructing or flying 135 just part-time. It seems to be more fun when you don't *have* to do it. Besides, law enforcement would've been my second choice to flying anyways, so its all good.
smile.gif

It was actually worse flying a few days ago when the temp was higher but the wind chill was colder. I'd still rather fly in negative temps than over 80. I like the extra performance and once you get the engine going there's plenty of heat.

ESF -

Be prepared for a looooooooooooooooong hiring process. It took my brother four agencies (tried with four agencies over he course of about a year) and finally the one that hired him the process with that agency took about a year. I.E. He did his first "interview" in May of 2003 and just got hired Dec. 29 of 2003.

If you're thinking about doing it ... start NOW.
smirk.gif

He just started the Academy this past Monday. If you want I can put you in contact with him if you have any questions. Oh yeah .. the Academy sucks. Think boot camp. For four months.
crazy.gif

602-

Thanks for the heads up. Like I said, I know a few of the "higer-ups" so that would help.

In reality the fact of the matter is, as much as I may talk about doing something else, I'll probably stick with flying no matter what. Its just nice to know that theres a backup in case things *really* get bad. As long as I qualify on the exam, my name goes into the pool for up to four years, so I can evaluate my situation and make a decision if/when the time comes.

I can now confirm for you -

No school tomarrow.
cool.gif
125 closings/delays in the state as of the night before! Brrr it's going to get COLDER!

Well all I see on the boards here @ CVG for flights goin North are DELAYED,DELAYED or CANCELED CANCELED.

And if I get cussed at one more time......
crazy.gif

Matthew

yep.. now you get to deal with the fun of the "delayed passenger".. meaning nothing will be right in the world until they board that plane! hahaha

how cold is it supposed to get up north??? My old man (uhh that's what i call my dad) decided to leave town tomorrow morning and come visit us - should be fun and I'm thinking he'll like the 70 degree weather over the cold Virginia weather this weekend!!

I was in and out of London, Ontario, today, and it wasn't bad at all. It was 1F when we landed and warmed up a little bit, though never out of the single digits. It was clear and sunny though, and lots of flight training going on there!

On another note, CYXU has the best airport restaurant I've ever eaten at in my LIFE. For $22 (Canadian) including tax and tip, I got a delicious individual-sized pizza (about 8"), hot tea to drink, and a wonderful butterscotch creme brulee for dessert. Plus huge windows look out on the runway there.

Gotta love tailwinds, too. Coming home at 270, we had a groundspeed of 370 knots, or about 105 on the tail. Tough to beat that.

FL270

We have a high of 26 today here in Melbourne - following the summer around is not a bad idea.

Lucky, every one of you in a warm climate!

I work at ski mountain in the rental shop. They already called and said don't bother coming in tomarrow. We are going to close the mountain.

Where in Virginia kristie? its a solid 20 degrees F....but feels like 8 with the windchill....These temps are actually mild compared to further north...and i am flying to Latrobe tonite too....should be interesting. never flown with a hat and gloves on before.

fairfax/chantilly area...is it pretty cold there today?? I think he'll enjoy stepping off of the plane when he gets here! he'll probably end up putting his shorts on right away and going for that hometown margarita!
grin.gif

Wow, what a smal world...i live in fairfax county, and work in fairfax city----its all one big place though--northern va. Yeah, real cold here..with i could join him down in AZ.

It got down to the teens last night, with the wind chill around zero. So yeah, he's going to like the 70 degree temps, Kristie.

Left PVD this AM and it was -2 degrees F. -21 wind chill. But we still departed on time with SWA!
smile.gif

I was walking around Boston downtown yesterday, and we had to stop inside places every 5-10 minutes. It was unbearable.

Back