So...is anyone at all hiring and running classes?

I believe Great Lakes and Lynx out of DEN are still hiring.

I'd move to DEN in a heartbeat, too bad both companies pay like crap...

Taildragger173 -

Pick a place with an unusually liberal commuter clause if you're going to commute from Siberia to the lower 48. :buck:

Re: Location: Siberia

Taildragger173 -

Pick a place with an unusually liberal commuter clause if you're going to commute from Siberia to the lower 48. :buck:

haha...lol. I put that on there on a cold night in Grand Forks, ND. I'll move.

I wouldn't give up that pool slot at Piedmont just yet. Literally thousands of ultra high-qualified airline pilots (including from majors) will be on the street this fall. They'll be looking for any opportunity to stay current -- including places like Compass and Piedmont.

It happened in 2002. Hundreds of 2001 furloughees from TWA, US Airways, Emery, UAL, etc. ended up flying for commuters like PSA, Comair, ASA, etc.

Last I heard, Pinnacle was going to be hiring into a pool, and that was before we found out we're keeping the Delta flying. Newest vacancy just came out, but it doesn't look too good. ZERO openings for CAs and FOs in MEM, DTW or MSP. ATL has 14 openings for each, though. I'm betting the FO openings in ATL will be filled either by guys already in class or guys in the pool. Next aircraft delivery for ATL probably won't be until Jan 09, so we're gonna be hiring for attrition only right now. I'd guess if we do still hire, it may only be one class a month.

Last I heard, Pinnacle was going to be hiring into a pool, and that was before we found out we're keeping the Delta flying. Newest vacancy just came out, but it doesn't look too good. ZERO openings for CAs and FOs in MEM, DTW or MSP. ATL has 14 openings for each, though. I'm betting the FO openings in ATL will be filled either by guys already in class or guys in the pool. Next aircraft delivery for ATL probably won't be until Jan 09, so we're gonna be hiring for attrition only right now. I'd guess if we do still hire, it may only be one class a month.

So up until 2 months ago, Pinnacle seemed like a dog to be stuck at - as compared to all of the other regionals. I remember seeing all of the threads about discontent amongst the pilot group with the lower pay and things as compared to everyone else.

Just goes to show how cyclical things really are. Now it looks like Pinnacle is one of "the" places to be right now in this economic environment. Funny how all of this is seeming to work out.

So with the way things are looking there now, any chance of you having to go back down to the FO ranks, now that you are pimpin the double deuce?

So up until 2 months ago, Pinnacle seemed like a dog to be stuck at - as compared to all of the other regionals. I remember seeing all of the threads about discontent amongst the pilot group with the lower pay and things as compared to everyone else.

Just goes to show how cyclical things really are. Now it looks like Pinnacle is one of "the" places to be right now in this economic environment. Funny how all of this is seeming to work out.

So with the way things are looking there now, any chance of you having to go back down to the FO ranks, now that you are pimpin the double deuce?
Just because they are hiring doesn't make then "the" place to be. Two other airlines are mentioned in previous posts on this thread that also meet that same standard.

Disclaimer: I have no opinion or real knowledge of pinnacle and my point isn't that it's a bad place to work. But there is a big difference between (for example) Southwest and UPS becoming "the" place to be for all the reasons they are desirable employers, and pinnacle becoming "the" place to be simply because they wont throw away your application.

I understand your point Clocks. And I am sure that they still have a plethora of problems with morale and the such. However, I haven't seen one thread about Pinnacle shedding people like the other airlines are.

The premise to my thought (above) was that Pinnacle seemed to be considered one of 'the' places to be now that isn't shedding good and capable people. I would much rather still have a job and be unhappy about morale and other HR types of issues, with the hope of it one day getting better, than be happy as hell and know that I am about to be in the unemployment line. Not a knock on you or your company in any way. But a job is a job. When times get tough, getting a paycheck and knowing that my chances of keeping that paycheck coming give me a much better warm and fuzzy than the opposite.

That was the point that I was making. But, who knows? This premise could change in the next 5 minutes. In these times, who knows?

I guess it depends on your definition of "the" place. I don't wanna be here the rest of my career, so it doesn't fit my definition. Now, if you're talking about a place to weather the storm, then maybe.

Downgrade is look less and less likely every day. I was worried for a while there until Delta said we're keeping the flying. Most of us figured we were and there was some sort of political struggle going on there. Might have been just so Delta could delay the deliveries and service of the other -900s. That's really the only thing that changed in the deal. With 14 CA openings in ATL, they'll have to come from somewhere, so that means we'll probably see upgrade classes running again.

The big question mark is how much flying is gonna get pulled down in the fall. It always drops off in the fall after the summer months, but we just never know how much.

Gojets and Mesa

My Wife!!! Where have you been all my life!!

I am told by a friend of a friend that Mesaba is starting a new hire class in a couple of weeks. But like I said, it was info from a friend of a friend sooooo we will see

I am told by a friend of a friend that Mesaba is starting a new hire class in a couple of weeks. But like I said, it was info from a friend of a friend sooooo we will see

Latest vacancy award is for an Aug. 11th class, filled with Saab FOs that bid over to the 900. No new hires in that class.

However, as we take delivery of the last of the 900s, I think there will be a couple more new hire classes. Our Saab staffing levels are becoming more properly staffed (ie, not overstaffed as it has been since the start of the year), and this last award went fairly junior as far as the FOs that were swapping aircraft.

I know that we do have a pool, not sure how many are swimming vs. how many we will need once we have all of our planned fleet. I have "heard" that they are still interviewing about once a month and putting people into the pool.

You can still apply on the website... so the worst that can happen is that you won't get called.

Title speaks for it all.

Piedmont is hiring into a pool (which Im in)
Compass is hiring (dont meet the mins)
Who else?

Go to AviationInterviews.com, that'll give you a pretty good idea who is currently hiring...

I was reading through some of the gouges, and threw up a little. What kind of kool-aid are they serving over there?

-Training is done in STL. Indoc is done by company pilots, systems and sim is done at Flight Saftey STL. Paid training, no training contract, plus housing allowance of $800. They are CASS for jumpseats and UA travel benefits. They're unionised by Teamsters. They explained they have the best CRJ700s, equipped them real nice, plus GJ CRJs700s use the 900 engines so they are way overpowered and a joy to fly. They have bases in ORD and STL, ORD is junior but has been going senior lately. Everybody couldn't be nicer at GJ, it's a small company so the pilots and F/As kind of run the show. If you want a stable company with growth I'd consider GoJet. Plus they are in good relations with UA because they are the best performing UA Express carrier.

-I Have GoJet on a very high standard now that I know them better and I think is a great option for who like me is thinking about a career on a nice regional instead of going to make an FO career on some major.

-All in all just a great experience and I can't wait to start training with Gojets. I highly recommend this company to anyone who can think for his/her self and wants to be with a successful, growing airline!

Go to AviationInterviews.com, that'll give you a pretty good idea who is currently hiring...

I was reading through some of the gouges, and threw up a little. What kind of kool-aid are they serving over there?

-Training is done in STL. Indoc is done by company pilots, systems and sim is done at Flight Saftey STL. Paid training, no training contract, plus housing allowance of $800. They are CASS for jumpseats and UA travel benefits. They're unionised by Teamsters. They explained they have the best CRJ700s, equipped them real nice, plus GJ CRJs700s use the 900 engines so they are way overpowered and a joy to fly. They have bases in ORD and STL, ORD is junior but has been going senior lately. Everybody couldn't be nicer at GJ, it's a small company so the pilots and F/As kind of run the show. If you want a stable company with growth I'd consider GoJet. Plus they are in good relations with UA because they are the best performing UA Express carrier.

-I Have GoJet on a very high standard now that I know them better and I think is a great option for who like me is thinking about a career on a nice regional instead of going to make an FO career on some major.

-All in all just a great experience and I can't wait to start training with Gojets. I highly recommend this company to anyone who can think for his/her self and wants to be with a successful, growing airline!

If that is a review, I would bet a months pay that it is a flight manager, chief pilot, or some other semi-management type that posted that.

The premise to my thought (above) was that Pinnacle seemed to be considered one of 'the' places to be now that isn't shedding good and capable people.

Most of the people they are shedding are the ones that weren't good or capable, according to their own standards before the boom. The regionals lowered their minimums from 1200/200 to 250/0 - 500/ 50. I am not sure why they had the big hiring surge for 2 years, but it seems like they are pretty much back to where they started. No offense to anyone that was hired during this time, and I certainly wish everyone well whose job is in jeopardy.

I believe September was being thrown around the training dept. If now one leaves we are staffed according to the 10-1 rule. We will have 102 planes with 1055 pilots currently and we might see more saab fo - 900 fo movement first. There is nowhere for any one to go so I don't see attrition creating to big of a need here.

Most of the people they are shedding are the ones that weren't good or capable, according to their own standards before the boom. The regionals lowered their minimums from 1200/200 to 250/0 - 500/ 50. I am not sure why they had the big hiring surge for 2 years, but it seems like they are pretty much back to where they started. No offense to anyone that was hired during this time, and I certainly wish everyone well whose job is in jeopardy.

Hiring surge here was b/c CAs were leaving in droves for greener pastures for a while. Needed someone with a pulse to replace the FOs upgrading to replace those CAs. Factor in the FOs that stayed for 6 months to get their bonus then bailed to a better regional, and you can see why we were having new hire classes every 2 weeks.

Now that the majors have stopped hiring (and some of those CAs that left are getting furloughed) and hardly any of the "better" regionals are hiring, there's next to no attrition here. We've gone from being short staffed to almost adequately staffed. I'd say we're okay on staffing from the CA side, but possibly slightly low on the FO side. I know I just spent 4 days sitting out of domicile reserve in MSP, and I never got called once.

Update for Mesaba:

I heard from a trustworthy source that they're not planning to let anymore current FOs bid over to the 900. There's still a ray of hope for anyone in the pool.

Back