So I don't want to flight instruct...

In my experience, the best civilian trained pilots were flight instructors at one point.

This. I'm not sure of all the reasons why, but it's true.

When I run through the list in my head of pilots at my airline who I really dislike, most of them came from backgrounds other than instructing. There are a few former instructors on the list, but I'd be willing to bet money that they sucked at instructing, too.

When I run through the list of pilots I think highly of, almost every one of them is a former CFI.

Alright, so here is the deal with aviation and families. It's hard on them. There is some serious struggles that some people don't make it through in the begining. It takes a person with serious integrity to male it. Had I a chance to do it all over again, I think I would have chosen a different path.

Is it impossible for someone who builds time like this to get a job sometime down the road to get a job in the future? Is Instructing experience favored when applying to jobs?

I would say that instructing experience is not favored over any other experience. I was hired with 500TT into a regional jet without a CFI and I interviewed with several CFI's who had 3 to 5 times my total time in duel given alone who were not offered the job.

I would say that instructing experience is not favored over any other experience. I was hired with 500TT into a regional jet without a CFI and I interviewed with several CFI's who had 3 to 5 times my total time in duel given alone who were not offered the job.

Well, hopefully they can spell "duel" better than you can. ;-)

Come on people, it's the internet, not a spelling bee.

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

...actually, I think that it (the internet) is the PERFECT place to try to learn where are shortfalls our. (tee hee) We can become stronger as a group if we correct each other where applicable, and actually take the criticism in that light. We all have shortfalls and it's great when a group commits itself to excellence over pride.

Especially on applications as well.

Whenever I see the founder of Airline Apps in the airport, he goes on and on AND ON about what some of you guys put down on your electronic application.

Spelling, punctuation and grammar all count towards your cumulative score.

Clippy.jpg <----- Is your friend!

It appears you are botching your chances with your no-longer-future employer. Can I help you with that?

Especially on applications as well.

Whenever I see the founder of Airline Apps in the airport, he goes on and on AND ON about what some of you guys put down on your electronic application.

Spelling, punctuation and grammar all count towards your cumulative score.

View attachment 21886 <----- Is your friend!

Oh my god I HATE that guy...

I don't think I'd like to instruct either. Not because I don't enjoy teaching people, but because I hate being in the dangerous skies of South Florida as a student as it is. But I won't deny that it's one of the best ways to be a very knowledgeable pilot. I always asked a lot of my instructors, to the point where they'd say they would get back to me on the answers because they didn't know. I would also ask my instructors to explain things to me in detail. There's no way that doesn't make you a better pilot.

Well, at least a more knowledgeable pilot. At the later stages of my training, my instructor pretty much wouldn't touch the controls at any phase of flight.

I've finally moved on from instructing in South FLA to one of the "better" regionals... Oh how I miss the sunshine, home every night, warm beaches, n I traded it in for the already cold (in October) Midwest... but at least my paycheck is... nevermind.

I want a new job, not a new suicidal job. :D

Well...there is the other thread in the Lav talking about how they are going to remake the Titanic. I'm thinking we may as well recreate the Hindenburg. Seriously, that was one big, bad ass machine. Carry a lot of people in high style from Europe to the US - it would be awesome. Plus, you could dress like the old Hindenburg officers - like old Naval uniforms - or, like a current Delta pilot. I bet, due to the length of the trip that you would also be able to invite some lovely passengers to your state-room ala Captain Schettino. Seriously, think about this. I'm already beginning to like the idea a lot.

It's a pretty big leap to say the best pilots have been flight instructors at some point or that 1000 hours dual given is the path to enlightenment. Plenty of historical examples of pilots who have never taught anyone anything..only to go on and accomplish some of the greatest aviation accomplishments.

Pilots, in general, believe their path to glory was the best path. Military pilots believe they have an edge over many, freight dogs believe their experience makes them great instrument pilots, CFIs believe that 1000 hours dual given in a 172 doing steep turns, slow flight, and DME arcs at 100 knots add a significant amount of gold stars in their resume.

If you don't feel like you're ready or prepared to be an instructor....no sweat... Hopefully no matter what path you take to the land of girls, glory, and fat stacks of cash, you'll draw on each experience and build overall airmanship and enjoy the ride.

Ask z987k what he did.

Pretty sure he made good money as a jump pilot and then went to the survey company I went to. That survey company paid 60-100k, and as a CFI myself, offered WAY more experience than what most CFIs receive. So yes, there are ways to get A LOT of flight time in short order, make more money, and get better experience. Not all CFI jobs are equal though, but I'll say that the 1 year on the road doing survey was a lot more valuable than all my time and education at UND, as well as part 61 freelance.

BUT, it's a semantics game more than ever these days it seems. That CFI cert definitely helps. I'm on the side of the fence that everyone should teach. It builds interpersonal skills in the cockpit at the very least.

Back