So awfully confused.....

Well here I am again with my .02.

Sorry to hear your bad experience with ERAU Flyin Ace, that really sucks. I would like to say that I personally attend school at the Daytona Beach campus so I can't say much about the other one. I personally haven't had a problem here at Embry Riddle. Do I think it is expensive, definitly, but I am also getting instructed by some of the best instructors and in the best equipment. How many other schools can say they fly brand new C172 or maybe they are a few years old now. They also have color gps's and they are also installing TCAS in some of them. Most of the instructors that I have had, have about 2000 hours, and you ask well why arn't they hired yet? Well this is due to the fact that most get payed more to fly here then they would at lets say comair and others are not US citizens. My current instructor makes 21.50 an hour. Granted it isn't the best time sitting in a 172 but they do have a job and they are not waiting to be called back if you get my drift. I have had a good experience with most instructors and of course there will be a few everywhere that no one likes, but are you always going to like the capt. or FO you are flying with. I think not, so it also teaches you to suck it up and get on with it. I had a problem with one of my instructors and I sat down with TM and instructor and they found another instructor for me. If that didn't resolve the problem then I would have gone above them until the situation was to my liking. If I am going to spend that much money then I am going to get what I want.

I am definitly not saying it is the perfect flight line but I also don't think it is bad. The campus in Daytona Beach just installed some new system for schedualing called ETA. They spent close to 2 million dollars on it, was it necessary, heck no. They also have to strict of rules on the types of wx we experience. I am not saying to fly into thunderstorms but they tend to get a little rediculous. They did just get like 10 new sims, class 3, c172. They have full view full color display and it is supposed to be for VFR training. It is Supposed to bring down overall flight course cost. If I had to do it all over again. I would have probably went to ATP during my summers and instructor there upon graduation with an Aero Sci degree with aoc aviation studies. This way you get the best of both worlds, and a whole lot of multi time.

I am not sure what the current cost of the school is because I get some sort of pro rated cost because I started in 2000. My cost has gone up but it is no where near those starting today.

I also believe the training you receive at ERAU is totally up to the person. There are those that study and practice at home in sims and go on observer flights and then there are those that just wait till there next flight to see what they are going to do. It is like that in every classroom as well, that is why a there is a class average. Some people get A's and some get F's, why?

Another good thing about the Daytona Beach campus is the flight tutor lab. The student's in there get paid crap but they know there stuff. They have helped me on numerous occasions to learn things that I just didn't get. I remeber sitting in there for hours trying to do a partial panel NDB hold. And after I mastered it we worked on something else. The thing that pissed me off more than anything is I wasn't even asked to do it on the check ride.

All in all I believe that every individual is going to have there own story, but I believe it is the choices made while you are here to what the outcome is.

Clipper pilot, during my freshman year in Daytona Beach my whole floor was of the same major. They try to keep it that way for the most part but I can almost guarantee you will have a roomate of the same major. But sometimes there are times when you will be stuck with someone else.

And all of these paragraphs are for you MIKE. How did I do? English was never my thing, was I supposed to indent too.

[ QUOTE ]
I also believe the training you receive at ERAU is totally up to the person. There are those that study and practice at home in sims and go on observer flights and then there are those that just wait till there next flight to see what they are going to do. It is like that in every classroom as well, that is why a there is a class average. Some people get A's and some get F's, why?

Another good thing about the Daytona Beach campus is the flight tutor lab. The student's in there get paid crap but they know there stuff. They have helped me on numerous occasions to learn things that I just didn't get. I remeber sitting in there for hours trying to do a partial panel NDB hold. And after I mastered it we worked on something else. The thing that pissed me off more than anything is I wasn't even asked to do it on the check ride.

All in all I believe that every individual is going to have there own story, but I believe it is the choices made while you are here to what the outcome is.

And all of these paragraphs are for you MIKE. How did I do? English was never my thing, was I supposed to indent too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Taz, I agree with you post. Well put. Riddle isn't perfect by any means just as nowhere else is. And I do agree that one generally will get out of a program such as Riddle, as much as they put in. I always thought the flight tutor program was a good thing to have, and just wish Riddle made it more attractive for people to want to put their time in as tutors; but most did it for the desire to teach.

And good paragraphs........though I don't remember razzing you on those.
smile.gif

I'm glad to hear that some one did well at Riddle. I'm not denying that people can do well, but generally they don't.

The main difference is the fact that you are in Daytona. The truth is that money wasn't put into the Prescott campus until just recently. When I started, we didnt' have new 172's, of course the reason Daytona's deteriorate so easily is the salty Florida air. Our 172's were old but that doesn't mean that they weren't good.

I have said it before and I will say it again... Datona and Prescott only have one thing in common: the school name.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe it is the choices made while you are here to what the outcome is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but I don't believe that is always the case. I have seen people dropped for even worse reasons then my case. Ever since starting at Riddle, I have seen more students pissed at the flight line than appreciate it. In my view it takes a hell of a lot more than shiny new equipment to replace bad instructon or in Prescotts case, bad management. Remember that all that glitters is not gold...

I wish I could be more positive on my flight line experience, but that isn't going to happen. I worked very hard while I was there, but when management throws your difficulties in your face and tells you to leave, that isn't always your choice. If you note the quote from my last eval instructor (" you can quit now or fail with me tomorrow")... tell me does that sound like much of a choice? I don't think so.

On the other hand I will definately praise the academic departments for thier hard work and dedication to the students. Most of the Professors are there because they want to be there, not because they are building time or waiting for a job to open back up. I have the highest respect for professors like, Nick Manderfield, Bill Waldock, John Johnson, Col. Cone, and Jack Hartman. There are many more that deserve recognition for thier hard work and dedication to thier students and the subjects that they teach. If I had to do the academics all over again, I would.

Anyway, that's enough of my rant and rave... sorry the english and spellign sucks... I'm a pilot, not and english major.

Best wishes to all

Marilyn

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad to hear that some one did well at Riddle. I'm not denying that people can do well, but generally they don't.

The main difference is the fact that you are in Daytona. The truth is that money wasn't put into the Prescott campus until just recently. When I started, we didnt' have new 172's, of course the reason Daytona's deteriorate so easily is the salty Florida air. Our 172's were old but that doesn't mean that they weren't good.

I have said it before and I will say it again... Datona and Prescott only have one thing in common: the school name.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe it is the choices made while you are here to what the outcome is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but I don't believe that is always the case. I have seen people dropped for even worse reasons then my case. Ever since starting at Riddle, I have seen more students pissed at the flight line than appreciate it. In my view it takes a hell of a lot more than shiny new equipment to replace bad instructon or in Prescotts case, bad management. Remember that all that glitters is not gold...

I wish I could be more positive on my flight line experience, but that isn't going to happen. I worked very hard while I was there, but when management throws your difficulties in your face and tells you to leave, that isn't always your choice. If you note the quote from my last eval instructor (" you can quit now or fail with me tomorrow")... tell me does that sound like much of a choice? I don't think so.

On the other hand I will definately praise the academic departments for thier hard work and dedication to the students. Most of the Professors are there because they want to be there, not because they are building time or waiting for a job to open back up. I have the highest respect for professors like, Nick Manderfield, Bill Waldock, John Johnson, Col. Cone, and Jack Hartman. There are many more that deserve recognition for thier hard work and dedication to thier students and the subjects that they teach. If I had to do the academics all over again, I would.

Anyway, that's enough of my rant and rave... sorry the english and spellign sucks... I'm a pilot, not and english major.

Best wishes to all

Marilyn

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. PRC and DAB do seemingly operate as two completely different entities, with PRC almost being the "red-headed stepchild" of ERAU. I remember when we were supposed to get this King Air C90 for some 10 hour flight course, that gave 10 hours of turboprop and a high-altitude signoff. The plane was supposed to be shared by both campuses, but ended up almost ALWAYS at DAB being used as a executive hauler, under the name of "training". What a bunch of BS.

So I have to agree that PRC doesn't have the "status", if you will that DAB has.

The whole "you get out what you put in" idea is just a general concept. There are always exceptions, such as in your case Marilyn, where one puts in and puts in, but gets nothing out due to outside factors; in your case, the particular moron instructors and flight managers that you had to deal with. My point was, that in general terms, one gets out what they put in. It's too bad that Riddle PRC provided hinderance, rather than help, in that endeavor for you.

I suppose the one good thing that came out of the 2 rich kids flying with us is that Daddy gave the PRC campus money... and lots of it... $3 million worth for a new library, not that I will ever see it. At anyrate it is nice to see that PRC is being remodeled so that it doesn't look like and over grown boyscout camp. The renovation is long over due.

Marilyn

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose the one good thing that came out of the 2 rich kids flying with us is that Daddy gave the PRC campus money... and lots of it... $3 million worth for a new library, not that I will ever see it. At anyrate it is nice to see that PRC is being remodeled so that it doesn't look like and over grown boyscout camp. The renovation is long over due.

Marilyn

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, for the 2 rich kids.....an example of getting out what you put in at it's worst.....

Yeah... I would have to agree... but of course giving rich kids flight gear and sending them up on students time at is the only way Riddle can get funding... the ALUMNI sure as hell aren't gonna give any! The alumni relations as this school are (pardon the phrase) piss poor. The only point is for money grubbing, and even then ER expects you to go to them. My boyfriend's high school has a better alumni program that ER.

Anyway, I have to give props for Rich Daddy, who specified that the money is going to go to the PRESCOTT CAMPUS. The sum of money was around $2 Million for the Library, and $1.5ish Million for other STUDENT services.

I must say that I worked damn hard to make his offspring feel comfortable at our less than Motel 6 accomidations... I'm not saying the kids are bad, the son really wants to persue a career in Aviation. The daughter on the other hand, well, lets just say she made Daddy happy. They were very nice towards us, when we saw them. Of course My Boss made sure they had "more dignified" people to help them. My job ofcourse was to unclog a toilet or get rid of a bug. I would say it was more of a problem with my boss than the children themselves. He bought special bedding, towels, and welcome baskets which contained the best food and ER souveniers. Oh... I forgot the flight bags... complete with $250 DCs, and the entire Jeppesen PPL Kit... a $150 Riddle student cost.

At anyrate, I was more discusted with the school and the way they go out and get money.

Sorry, I got on another RRR...(Riddle Rant and Rave)... It's just something I know WAY too much about... Hey... did I just make a new Riddle Acronym? (RRR) maybe it's been around... Haven't checked... how many remember the PFM... ahhh memories of still frozen corn dogs
wink.gif

And as for english... how about this use of elips'(...) (sp?) Doug, I think I'm on my way to taking your title as King of the Runon Sentance... Well, Queen anyway...
wink.gif

Marilyn

No doubt.

I think there needs to be a change in attitude at the college. Instead of coming to alumni who are currently working in the industry and saying "Hey, come on back for a weekend, tell us what worked, what didn't work and help us build a college that you'd send your kids to", nada zip zilch.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great school, but it's in dire need of strong leadership.

Jetcareers probably gets as many, if not more hits than their website and I'm right down the street in SDL, but besides a color "Come to Octoberwest" flyer once a year, that's about all I hear.

Unless, of course, it's been buried in a mass of those &%$%* Xmas catalogs I keep recieving in the mail.

Ah yes, Octoberwest and the Industry Showcase. Ofcourse I wouldn't call a National Guard fly in and a couple FBOs much of an Industry Showcase. True, there are a few big names like ACA, Ratheon, and the Military, but not too much more.

Octoberwest attendance has obviously dropped since the "Beer Garden" got the axe by SGA and various Administrators. I heard that there were only 30ish people there the year it got ditched... nothin like taking away the only reason the Alumni would come back to this school... Free Beer. (Obviously I wasn't there either). I think Octoberwest continued on Downtown on Whiskey Row...

Anyway... I think have a group of leaders who actually care about the school, rather than how much they can raise tuition without loosing students, would be nice. I feel that some student's voice thier opinion... but you can voice your opinion all you want, doesn't mean anyone is listening.

I remember when Pres. Ebbs came to PRC to give a speach and "listen to the students". The students a PRC said "Who the hell is this guy?" Needless to say they thought he was a pretty big joke. It also seemed as though when he heard a complaint or something he didn't like he ignored it, changed the subjet, or decided that time was up.
The only way the people at Prescott know who Ebbs is by looking at the picture in the cover of the catalog... and really who reads that message or looks at the picture?

Anyway.. wanna send out another thanks too all the professors who work hard everyday to make sure we are learning something worth while. Your efforts don't go unnoticed.
grin.gif

Marilyn

Back