So awfully confused.....

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I went to Riddle out in PRC.

It's a good school with a good flight program, but I don't necessarily think it gave me a big edge. The one thing that I'm highly upset with ERAU about is how high tuition and flight costs are now.

When I started at ERAU, it was $1,800/semester, a 172 costed $50 and a PA44 was $120.

Good program, good people, but watching the tuition and fees skyrocket over the years really rubbed me the wrong way. I would have also preferred a more challenging core education program (I don't know if it's changed much since graduating in 1993). I dunno, I prepped myself in order to qualify for a UC (Univ of California) campus and loved mathematics, but found the math courses to be at a Freshman year of HS level. Most of the students liked it because they were there to fly, but I wanted more of a well-rounded education.

I think it can be a fantastic program if they bring the costs into check, laregely broaden the non-flying curriculum and focus on producing a well-rounded, college-educated graduate with a bachelor of science, with emphasis in flight, rather than a good pilot that also has a four year degree in whatever.

Looking back, I think I'd prefer they reinvent the curriculum from having 'aeronautical science' into a curriculum where you choose a BS in engineering, computer science, business administration, etc and then add the 'flight option' as an elective.

So when you graduate, you have a useable degree, plus embry-riddle flight instruction.

I dunno, random thoughts. How are those paragraphs?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How about having a backup degree/training?

Paragraphs, Doug, how about that!! So if YOU learned about them at ERAU (or before, more than likely), I guess maybe ERAU isn't the problem.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How about having a backup degree/training?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I meant. Dissolve the AS program, and do something like "BS in Electrical Engineering with a flight option"

So you've got a BS in EE, but you're also a CSMEL-I upon graduation as well.

However, as much as my former university is probably pulling it's hair out that I'm saying this, the AS program needs a big overhaul.

[ QUOTE ]
Paragraphs, Doug, how about that!! So if YOU learned about them at ERAU (or before, more than likely), I guess maybe ERAU isn't the problem.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I'm just lazy!

Besides, I'd hate to relinquish my standing as the "King of All Run On Sentences"!

Take THAT Mr. Pagliasotti!

Actually Doug, I was complimenting you, particularly in comparison to some others on this thread. I think your grammar construction results in a highly readable post, and reflects great credit on you, jetcareers.com, and ERAU.

(Yes, MikeD, I had a stint as the squadron awards and decs officer at one point.)
cool.gif

Oh i know, bro!

BTW, congrats on getting some additn'l mainline service back to JAN.

Finest airport chicken sandwich in the domestic system! At least I think it's in JAN.

Here's the bad part about that MD88 service. It adds an additional layover in JAN back to the ATL MD88 schedule. We may have good food, but the hotel DAL chose for here is one of the worst in the system, IMO

Is that the one out by the freeway next to the Jaguar (Jag--OOO-WAH) dealership?

If that's the one, I did something like a 20 hour layover there. The captain was off with his wife and I was 'o solo mio" with nothing to do and the hotel van broke down.

Aeigh!

Yep, that's the one. If DAL would have looked 2 exits further north in I-55, the Hilton is right there, along with a mall, resturants galore, movie theatres, etc. Probably cost $2 more a night or something.

BTW Doug, if you ever get stuck at the Holiday Inn, give me a call, I'll be glad to transport you around. On 9-12-01 we (another DAL pilot and I) went and got the 727 crew that diverted into here and took them out for a fried catfish dinner. A good time was had by all.

Well, here you have it... I have been promissing to write the whole story of my Riddle experience, pardon the length... but it has been a long ride...

As and up and coming graduate, I will give you my take on Riddle. I started in the Fall of 1999 spoon fed all the "promises" of the "best flight education in the world". I am the first in my family to go to college, and not knowing much about the internet or jetcareers really made it easy to believe that I was gonna get just what they were saying. ( Living in Podunk, AZ you tend to believe that every person in an honest person and will live up to thier word)

Anyway... I soon realized that doing flight, ROTC and 15ish credits was not as easy as the admissions people made it sound and soon dropped ROTC. I also went through a period of instructor changes and finally hit a point where my learning curve leveled off and there was no choice but to start all over again or don't start at all. I recieved less than encouraging words from my Training Manager ( who also happend to suggest that I could not fly because I was a girl, ofcourse that wasn't his wording, he was just implying).

At the end of the year I signed on to start the FA-110 (PPL course) again and this time managed to recieve and instructor with whom I was comfortable and related well with. Alison knew that the first thing I needed to do was to relax, otherwise trying to learn is pointless. You see, Riddle's flight line has a tendancy to up the pressure and stress-level of every one of thier pilots to where flying is no longer fun. Alison's goal was to make sure I enjoyed what i was doing. Thanks to Alison, I did solo... much to the suprise of many at the flight line.

As most of you know, flying after 12pm in AZ is not pleasant actually can be very sickening. So for learning sake, I requested flight times between 6am-10am. Unfortunatly I found that 2 students had precidence over every paying student on campus (why you ask? Because thier dad was going to give Riddle money... and lots of it) And since these student's require the best of everything, of course they needed the best instructor, mine. They also flew during my flight time. It also seemed kindof funny that they could get through thier first stage in 1 week when normal Riddle students can take over a month... (this just shows the priorities I have seen). I am not spouting off rumors, as I worked for the program that brough the students to stay with us.

Anyway... with the onset of Fall classes and 2 jobs, I realzied that my stress factor was up again. ( I am completely aware that part of the reason I didn't finish is because of my own workload... but that isn't everything...) Upon having difficulty with the with flying I was sent up on an "Eval Flight" with another instructor. I had originally been scheduled with one instructor, but was switched to another at the last minute due to the other having and non work related accident. The new instructor had a very negative attitude toward me from the start. Obviously the flight didn't go well... we fought through the entire lesson. Although I expected help and guidance on my problems, I was ridiculed by the instructor. My instructor appoligized and said she would have never sent me up with that paticular instructor (he obviously had a reputation for things not going well.)

I was given 2 more flights to improve or I would be dropped from the program (great... more stress).

My instructor... the wonderful person she is, fought for more sim and flight time to make me proficient. I had fixed everything that was wrong before, but now was having problems understanding flight planning.

(keep in mind i had just entered into a Basic Navigation course taught by a United A-320, fresh off the line... who had not done a VFR nav log in 20+ years... she was taking another teachers class...)

When it came for my next eval flight, I had managed to be given the worst flight instructor of them all. If I thought the eval instructor I had before was bad... little did I know I was about to meet Satan himself. (this instructor has a reputation for making the girls cry and most of the students he meets quit.) After 15 minutes in the oral room, I was confused with my flight planing and didn't know what to do. At this point I was given an option. "You can quit now and go home, or you can fail with me on the flight tomorrow, it's your choice." Tell me is that something you would say to your student? This man wasn't just honest, but he was brutal. I had never felt so helpless in my entire life.

At that point I quit the flight program at Embry Riddle and decided to continue at another school once I graduate. Oh by the way... after attended Riddle's flight program I am at 85 flight hours with $10,000 spent just there, and NO PRIVATE PILOT LICENSE. Like I said, I don't blame it completely on the flight line, but I also can't say it was all my fault either.

Most of the students who start thier PPL there will not finish thier commercial license by the time the graduate in 4-5 years.

I will give the academic departments the best remarks though. I enjoyed what I had learned and value my minors in Aviation Safety, Aviation Weather, and Aeronautical Science. The professors love what they do and do it well. (Ask me sometime about my professors, boy do I have stories).

My suggestions??? If you are thinking about going here... do... but just for the academics. Honestly conciter if the price is something you want to pay. If not... look elsewhere. I don't know for sure if the price is worth it, I suppose I will find out. But my bottom line is that the Flight Line at Embry Riddle is by far the worst experience I had ever had. If you ask the students, they will tell you what they think... don't ask the ones you find on the website, ER will not let anyone say anything bad about them on the website. Jetcareers has been the best place to find people who go there. When and If you visit the campus... don't ask the admissions students what they think... they are being paid to say nice things. Take a break and ask the people walking around campus... they aren't being paid for anything.

Anyway... this is my $10,000 worth... I congradulate those who have done well at both flight and the academics, it is very difficult. My best wishes to everyone.

I will be posting this again on it's own post (just to let you all know).

Thanks for the ear and always hope it is helpful.

Marilyn
flyn_ace_99@yahoo.com

Just graduated from ER in PRC this year, and I can say without a doubt that the school is good...could have been more challenging, but it was ok.

I would say that the people that meet you at the gates of Riddle when you arrive rival the abilities of those Tele-evnangelists(sp) that can bilk you out of your life savings. I mean I believed the BS about their flight program and by the time you realize it, its too late. I can say without a doubt that the academic parts were cool, could have been harder, and the flight program needs....well.....help. Any place that can take the fun out of flying has something wrong going on.

My .02's

How can you go 4 years and graduate erau with a B.S. degree if you dont receive any certificates? arent they required credits for the degree?

[ QUOTE ]

As and up and coming graduate, I will give you my take on Riddle. I started in the Fall of 1999 spoon fed all the "promises" of the "best flight education in the world". I am the first in my family to go to college, and not knowing much about the internet or jetcareers really made it easy to believe that I was gonna get just what they were saying. ( Living in Podunk, AZ you tend to believe that every person in an honest person and will live up to thier word)

[/ QUOTE ]

I see Riddle is up to their same "smoke up your a$$ rhetoric....jesus, these guys are worse than Kit Darby, the snake oil salesman himself

[ QUOTE ]

I recieved less than encouraging words from my Training Manager ( who also happend to suggest that I could not fly because I was a girl, ofcourse that wasn't his wording, he was just implying).

[/ QUOTE ]

Riddle has the most moronic training managers, most of whom were inbreeds that came up through the Riddle ranks and for one reason or another, couldn't separate themselves from Riddle

[ QUOTE ]

At the end of the year I signed on to start the FA-110 (PPL course) again and this time managed to recieve and instructor with whom I was comfortable and related well with. Alison knew that the first thing I needed to do was to relax, otherwise trying to learn is pointless. You see, Riddle's flight line has a tendancy to up the pressure and stress-level of every one of thier pilots to where flying is no longer fun. Alison's goal was to make sure I enjoyed what i was doing. Thanks to Alison, I did solo... much to the suprise of many at the flight line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good that at least you found an instructor that you could work with, and that understood you. Riddle tries to make their flight program akin to the US Air Force training model, only they don't seem to be able to get it through their heads that YOU are the customer, unlike MY situation, where I was dumb enough to sign on the dotted line and the government is paying me to get hassled. You, on the other hand, are paying THEM for a service, and you should be accomadated within reason.

[ QUOTE ]

As most of you know, flying after 12pm in AZ is not pleasant actually can be very sickening. So for learning sake, I requested flight times between 6am-10am. Unfortunatly I found that 2 students had precidence over every paying student on campus (why you ask? Because thier dad was going to give Riddle money... and lots of it) And since these student's require the best of everything, of course they needed the best instructor, mine. They also flew during my flight time. It also seemed kindof funny that they could get through thier first stage in 1 week when normal Riddle students can take over a month... (this just shows the priorities I have seen). I am not spouting off rumors, as I worked for the program that brough the students to stay with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Riddle pandering to students whose daddy's are going to "buy" their ratings and grades? Say it isn't so. Same Riddle BS, different semester

[ QUOTE ]

The new instructor had a very negative attitude toward me from the start. Obviously the flight didn't go well... we fought through the entire lesson. Although I expected help and guidance on my problems, I was ridiculed by the instructor. My instructor appoligized and said she would have never sent me up with that paticular instructor (he obviously had a reputation for things not going well.)

I was given 2 more flights to improve or I would be dropped from the program (great... more stress).

When it came for my next eval flight, I had managed to be given the worst flight instructor of them all. If I thought the eval instructor I had before was bad... little did I know I was about to meet Satan himself. (this instructor has a reputation for making the girls cry and most of the students he meets quit.) After 15 minutes in the oral room, I was confused with my flight planing and didn't know what to do. At this point I was given an option. "You can quit now and go home, or you can fail with me on the flight tomorrow, it's your choice." Tell me is that something you would say to your student? This man wasn't just honest, but he was brutal. I had never felt so helpless in my entire life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd LOVE to give these two CFIs, or Certificated F%cking Idiots, a good kick in the ass for that kind of treatment. Let them come fly with me, and I'd love to put their asses through the ringer....see how they hold up. What PISS POOR attitude, motivation, learning environment, etc, et al, these two demonstrate. I'm suprised that they passed their FOI. They need to be reminded that even they may be check pilots, they're STILL just CFIs.

[ QUOTE ]

I will give the academic departments the best remarks though. I enjoyed what I had learned and value my minors in Aviation Safety, Aviation Weather, and Aeronautical Science. The professors love what they do and do it well. (Ask me sometime about my professors, boy do I have stories).

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is what I've been saying all along. Riddle has damn good ground/academic instruction from people that have been there, done that, and gotten the proverbial T-shirt many times over. But their flightline is full of know-nothing inbreeds with zero flight experience, and only a little more in hours, but the BIGGEST chips on their shoulders. Obviously not EVERY instructor at Riddle fits this bill there, there are good ones mind you, but I've seen a majority that do. Blind leading the freaking blind. And the idiot check pilots are almost worse since they really think they deserve the chip on their shoulder.

As far as the certificates incorperated with the degree... that is only for the Aeronautical Science people ( the golden children). The reason the school doesn't like the Aerospace Studies people is because they are doing thier flying elsewhere yet getting the equivalent of the Aeronautical Science degree, which means Riddle isn't getting ALL your money. But like I said, if you come in with your commercial you can get credit for all your raitings and still be an Aeronautical Science student. Keep in mind that they don't actively promote the Aerospace Studies degree, but it is turning into one of the most prefered by the students who get there, then find out they hate the flight line and want out... or like in my case, get dropped.

Thanks for the support Mike, it's kindof nice to know from someone who is an alumni that I'm not the only one who thinks the flight line is run by idiots. Did you know of Chip Hough or Sean Nash?... yeah... those would be the two CFI's I was mentioning... Chip Hough being the King of the Damned himself. I'm not one to typically mention names, but I would have to make and acception on this one. Actually, I would like to know how many alumni have had the same situation with this guy.

I hope to find him when I have finished my MEI with ATP so that I can rub it in a little... You know... kill them by being successful at what they said you couldn't do!
smirk.gif

Anyway, Thanks again!

Marilyn

thanks for the replies guys....ive done some research by myself and nearly every single person i have talked to has made me realize that this is definetly not the school for me...i even had an AA captain tell me he'd hire the guy from ucla over the guy from riddle...a month left of this school (i dont think ive ever been happier since i got here..heh.), wish everyone going here the best of luck oh and hey tazman ill see ya on that 777....
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
...i even had an AA captain tell me he'd hire the guy from ucla over the guy from riddle...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a muinute. According to Tazman, your Riddle degree gets you "top of the stack" treatment
confused.gif

When you get paired up with roomates on campus housing, do you get paired with someone studying your same major, pilot with pilot?

Usually, but it's not always a guarantee. I worked in the Housing office for 2 years so I know a lot about this. Your first year they try to pair you up with someone of similar gender, degree and activities ( like ROTC... it really sux to have an ROTC roommate up at 5:30 am for PT and you are a light sleeper.) I was lucky, my roomate and I did almost everything together. Ate, PT, Sabre, etc. Make friends with your roommates, they become the closest thing to family. I have noticed that my friends from college are much better firends to me than those I had in high school.

If you are a traditional student, you will start out in the freshman halls doing the freshman intro track. This is good in the sense that it gets you more active in the school. I wasn't as active as I would have like to have been, and have a few regrets.

If you choose to stay on campus a second year you will either be moved to the "original halls" or the new halls, depends on your luck of the draw. Most people choose to live off campus at one of the varrious apartments around town. If in Prescott, don't choose The Legacy if you are on a budget. I was crammed in a 3 bedroom apartment with 3 guys (including my boyfriend) for 2 years... for $150 a month or so, I couldn't complain too much, just be sure you can handle eachother's messes, emotions, etc... because you are living in such close proximities.

On campus housing isn't so bad, if you can handle the restrictions like no alcohol and XL Twin beds. I liked being able to walk to class instead of having to rely on my not so reliable vehicle to get me there.

Also, make new clubs, If you have an interest and think others might enjoy it too... make it into a club... Lord knows Prescott needs more of those. It can be pretty dull out there. But comming from a smaller town, I loved it. You need to be able to keep yourself occupied. Hiking and off roading are prime things to do ( now you know why my vehicle was always down
frown.gif
). For those of you who like to party, we have 1 "night club"... It's not great but it's a place to dance. Whiskey Row is a popular place to hang out... there are a few bar/clubs there that can be fun too.

Anyway, I'm always here for advice on the Prescott ER campus.

Marilyn

Back