'Snow' is still alive (and out of the airline business)

Snow

'Not a new member'
Not sure how many people actually remember me, but I posted a 'blog' style account of my pilot training experiences at FlightSafety Academy / International while learning to fly / working as an intern at a corporate flight training center, through the years from 2003 to 2006.

After 7 years and over 4000hrs flying a CRJ-200 for Atlantic Southeast Airlines (now renamed Expressjet) as a First Officer, I finally decided to throw in the towel and pursue a different career. I loved being an airline pilot for the most part, however I did not love being away from home 4 or 5 days a week, spending 10hrs a week communing to and from work nor the constantly changing sleep schedules. This fact wasn't fully realized until I had to spend 10 months on medical leave working out various medical waver mumbo jumbo with the FAA. I did eventually get the ok to return to flying with my 1st Class medical but when it came time to return to work, I decided I would be happier with a job that paid better and allowed me more time at home with my family.

This was not an easy decision for me as I have spent the past 12 years with grandeur airline pilot career aspirations. I quit my job right as someone around my seniority was finally able to upgrade, but even then the idea of going back on reserve again didn't thrill me. Fortunately with recent regulation changes I did at least get my ATP and full fledged typing rating out of it before I left. And while it would have been nice to fly bigger planes someday I know from sitting on many jumpseats at the 'majors' that it is just the same job in the end.

I'd just like to say that if I had to do it all over again, I would, I greatly enjoyed working as an airline pilot for the most part but now I am putting it into the 'been there done that' category and moving on to life's next adventure! I'll still be around if anyone wants the opinions of an ex-regional airline pilot lol

Attachments

• airline.jpg
    airline.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 202
Good luck, being gone is the best and worst part. Hopefully it was a typo you were working 20 days a month.

Ah, he said being away from home which I presume includes commuting. Maybe worked 16 days, loses another 4 to travel?

Same / same I guess?

It just seemed like a lot of days gone for someone with that much seniority. Working in hotels opened my eyes on how many people travel for work. Its definitely a fine line on you and your family.

Except you don't get paid for it.

I'm not disagreeing with your premise, just saying there is some nuance when it comes to definitions. Someone once said "words mean things".

Not being paid doesn't mean it isn't a work day. For example, some pilots don't get paid for deadheading. They're on duty, but no compensation. Still a work day. Other pilots don't get paid for attending training on a day off. On duty, not getting paid. Etc. You can argue that commuting is different because it's off duty, but I would consider that a distinction without a difference. Ultimately, if you're away from home for the purposes of your job, it's a work day.

That's fine. Really, I'm not disagreeing just pointing out why that first post about working 20 days a month didn't register right away when the OP hadn't used the same words.

While I'm thinking about that topic, I will add that I think that context is important. I certainly don't have a problem with considering commuting as "work" in the broader sense, but I would have an issue with someone that says "I was working 20+ days a month at XYZ airlines" in a derogatory tone towards that employer if 4 or 5 of those days were spent commuting, a factor that the airline does not control.

[/hijack]

Sometimes I would agree, sometimes I wouldn't. Commuting is usually a choice, but not always.

Consider, for example, Endeavor. It used to be that Memphis was the home city. HQ was there, that's where all of the senior pilots were, it was the largest base for some time, it was a big NWA domicile, etc. Someone hired at Pinnacle back in the day had every expectation of settling down with their family there and never having to commute. But then along comes Delta, MEM is all but shut down, and there's no longer a MEM domicile. The pilot's wife has a high paying job in MEM that can't be replaced, and the pilot has kids in good schools. Moving to his new displaced domicile isn't a realistic option. So he's forced to commute.

In such a situation (which is more common than you would think in the airline side of aviation), I think it would be fair for the pilot to bitch about his job and the fact that he's working 20 days a month.

Back