'Snow' is still alive (and out of the airline business)

You're Aussie right? I remember you from Flight Safety...

Yes I am Australian, my old avatar was a yellow Kangaroos ahead sign.

I worked 4 days a week but 90% of time I commuted in the day before to be rested for my morning report time. 3 day pairing with weekends off went very senior and with 6 or 7 legs a day, no thanks!

My wife is active duty Air Force so I go where she goes, so commuting wasn't much of a choice.

What would of been your salary requirements to stay in that sort of lifestyle?

When I quit the regionals the pay didn't outweigh the negatives.

Welcome back. As a fellow ASA guy, I'm sorry to see you go. Our pilot group is strengthened only by the varying backgrounds each of us brings to the operation. However, I understand exactly what you're going through and wish you the best of luck.

Will you be flying on the side? At the very least I recommend keeping some currency...never know what the industry will look like, or be looking for, in the next two years.

I'd want to be making at least $100k a year to keep doing it, which was technically in reach at the regionals as a Capt, but it would have been a long time coming. I was only just reaching the point to being able to upgrade as a super junior capt.

I figured between all my work related expenses, food, hotels, parking etc I was spending around $1000mo, so after all was said and done about $2000 was actually making it into my bank account after taxes, union fees etc each month. So basically I was gone 5 days a week for about $100 a day pay.

My goal was to be that flag carrier intl capt who flies 10 days a month, not unlike a Delta 767 Capt I commuted to work with frequently. I think most airline pilots would prefer to fly as little as possible for as much money as possible lol

For now I'm keeping my CFI current, renewing it online now actually. I'd like to get a checkout at the local areo club once finances allow. It be a lot more fun to fly around VFR when I'm making more money anyhow, flying IFR all the time kills a lot of the joy of flying. I missed the days of circling barns in the country for no reason whatsoever other than I could! I'm not done with aviation, just done with it as a career, least for now. If someone offered me a job where I could be home every night I'd certainly consider it.

Back