SNA Pilot Information

lapilot

I have been viewing this forum for quite some time, however, I felt it was time to start posting my questions/comments. First of all, I just want to send out a huge thanks to Doug for creating this forum for all of us to enjoy! However, I do have a question:

1) Can anyone out there be of help in regards to good FBOs/flight training out at SNA?

I plan to start my instrument training this summer down there and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

I fly out of Lenair, I think they are great, for what you get the price is reasonable, the instruction is good, and it is just a nice school to fly out of.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Can anyone out there be of help in regards to good FBOs/flight training out at SNA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did my training at Royal Aviation and am now an instructor out of here. I really like the atmosphere and the planes are the cheapest on the field!

checkout the website at Royal Aviation

PM me if you have an specific questions!

No ready, I think it's French for "the pilot"!
grin.gif
blush.gif

ooh la la!

Well... I've flown out of Lenair, Sunrise, and OCFC.

OCFC has, by far, the nicest planes and best program on the field (never been to Royal mind you... but I do plan on a checkout!). They also have the highest price (figures...).

It is a tossup between Lenair and Sunrise IMHO. If I had to chose I'd probably pick Sunrise due to the fact that Lenair charged me when I had a problem and had to bring it back (
crazy.gif
).

^^ But sunrise seems to upset more people as with them it seems to take a lot more flight time ($$) to get your license there then others on the feild.

^^

Possibly; however I don't know... they do have their own examiner (who is really cool BTW).

I've heard stories both ways from Lenair AND Sunrise; people are either happy or they aren't... there doesn't seem to be a lot of in betweens.

Iain, either (1)I've been working on my midterm too long, (2) I'm on crack, or (3) you've gone thru a sex change! Whos picture is that?
grin.gif

Going back to the original topic, most people doing their training aren't interested in flying new airplanes. Although very nice, I think they would prefer to save the buck and go with the less expensive airplane providing that the wing is not falling off. I left Sunrise because I felt I was getting shafted, plain and simple. My friend left Lenair because he has gone thru $10,000 and they still had not gotten him thru his private! Went elsewhere and was able to finish the rest of his ratings up thru Multi IFR/COM for about the same price. I flew with the guy a few times, he was not a dummy, and I felt this guy should have finished within 60 hours easily.

WHat I would recommend diong is taking a demo flight at all four places and seeing for yourself which fits you best.

It would run you a little less then $200 but you would be saving a lot more in the long run considering your going to be spending thousands of $'s at the place.

Orange County Flight Center is 949-756-1300
Sunrise is 949-852-8850
Royal Aviation is 714-557-7174
Lenair....don't know...never had to call them.

Good luck and remember to have fun where ever you go.

I have been flying out of Sunrise. It does take a while and cost a lot of $$ but the instruction you get is worth it. I feel like they train way beyond the required standards and hence the extra time and $$. They also have a nice casual environment, and if you ever work there as a CFI you don't have to wear airline pilot wannabe uniforms a la Flightsafety.

They usually will knock a few tenths off the time for things like getting delayed too long for traffic, etc. I have never flown with Lenair or OCFC so I can't really make a comparison.

Back