Small plane, engine dead

Also, what type of plane are we talking? Eg, Commander with trailing link will be less prone to flipping, or Barron with small tires and heavy weight? etc

Oh, snap! When was this?!

Almost exactly 5 years ago - 3/21/04 according to the ol' logbook. It was my first solo xc in an airplane - I had just gotten back from Iraq and was transitioning into airplanes out of BNA. Had a whopping 12.8 hours in fixed-wings before I launched! :eek:

Here's the NTSB report on it. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040329X00382&key=1

The probable cause might as well have been "magic" or "gremlins."

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The total loss of engine power due to a total loss of engine oil for undetermined reasons, which resulted in a forced landing and subsequent collision with trees.

Almost exactly 5 years ago - 3/21/04 according to the ol' logbook. It was my first solo xc in an airplane - I had just gotten back from Iraq and was transitioning into airplanes out of BNA. Had a whopping 12.8 hours in fixed-wings before I launched! :eek:

Here's the NTSB report on it. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040329X00382&key=1

The probable cause might as well have been "magic" or "gremlins."
I have new respect for Ian, you da man, glad to see you made it out okay.

the probable cause might as well have been "magic" or "gremlins."

No mention in either the basic report or the detailed report of any examination of the cylinders, just the case, oil sump, and fuselage. Oil could have departed the engine via the cylinders or exhaust manifolds too don't you think? Could a problem in a cylinder or the valve train have been enough of a place for 4 qts of oil to leak/burn off?

I think gear down....

I know it could be seen as comparing apples to oranges.. but on larger aircraft they recommend gear down in all cases but ditching.... to absorb some of the energy from the impact.

Then I would just get the aircraft as slow as possible with a higher than normal nose attitude and let her sink onto the ground.

If it was at night or really IMC I would be careful with the speed due to the difficulty in judging height (risk of stalling and dropping a great height!)

I have lost an engine on a single engine aircraft... but was lucky enough to get it back onto the runway... Was about 400 feet when she blew.

On departure nothing but built up area ahead.. I turned to land across the airfield onto what was an old grass runway... But in the end had just enough altitude left to turn it back onto the paved runway I departed from.

So in effect an ever descending TIGHT circuit.

On departure nothing but built up area ahead.. I turned to land across the airfield onto what was an old grass runway... But in the end had just enough altitude left to turn it back onto the paved runway I departed from.

So in effect an ever descending TIGHT circuit.
You are one lucky man. The statistics were against you on that manuever.

back a few posts:

When that American Eagle jet at Boston hit the runway and started to drag, why did the pilots choose to go to full power again and go around? To save from more damage? maybe I'm missing something more dangerous? Just seems easier to let it drag across the runway.

thanks!

back a few posts:

When that American Eagle jet at Boston hit the runway and started to drag, why did the pilots choose to go to full power again and go around? To save from more damage? maybe I'm missing something more dangerous? Just seems easier to let it drag across the runway.

thanks!
When did that happen? I don't remember hearing about that accident.

I've had two engine failures (both in single engine airplanes), I was fortunately able to make it to an airport on both occassions. And I was over the Everglades on both engine failures too, thats why I'm extra careful because if it happens again I don't know if I will be lucky three times in a row.

Another important point, on a rough off airport landing open the door before touching down so if you do flip and the fuselage crumples you can still get out! :rawk:

I agree statistics might be against you... When I made the turn I was just trying to avoid going into a gas station and built up houses.. then I had an out across the airfield and finally enough to get it onto the runway...

Once I made that first turn I was home... but not quite dry.. it would of been putting me into a field not a house or gas station

back a few posts:

thanks!

They began the go-around before the flaps scraped when they noticed the plane sinking more than normal. Even with that, I don't think they would have known the flaps were scraping in the cockpit. I believe the passengers/flight attendant informed them after the fact.

They began the go-around before the flaps scraped when they noticed the plane sinking more than normal. Even with that, I don't think they would have known the flaps were scraping in the cockpit. I believe the passengers/flight attendant informed them after the fact.

Ohhh, okay I see, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Ohhh, okay I see, that makes more sense. Thanks!

It happened back in 2007.. I dont remember if they felt it hit or not.. I'm sure they felt something.

Good thing it was a light Emb-135.. a loaded down 145 probably wouldn't have got back up so easy, if at all...

Back