Slowing for a fix

Iirc there’s some weird ATC rule about how you can’t assign a jet below 170…but you can assign “final approach speed?” And yeah…sometimes when I get that I’m like “Roger, reducing speed 75 kts” 😅

Iirc there’s some weird ATC rule about how you can’t assign a jet below 170…but you can assign “final approach speed?” And yeah…sometimes when I get that I’m like “Roger, reducing speed 75 kts” 😅

That would seem to check out......lowest I've ever been assigned (though it is common) is 170 until the FAF.....I'd guess that is a speed that everyone out there can still aerodynamically play nice at, without burning too much gas or getting too over energized.

The reduce to final approach speed is the last desperation move of a collapsing final either cause I •ed up or someone decided that 180 to the marker didn’t really mean all the way to the marker but couldn’t be bothered to tell us (coughAALcough)

Back