Slowing for a fix

cmac88

For awareness purposes at work I was looking to get some ideas from guys on here about how far out they have to start slowing in their aircraft to meet a speed restriction per type. Given 310+ resume fix is 250kts, descending, how far out do you start slowing? Obviously a lot of factors here but just curious on the general consensus by types. Thanks!

The “normal” rule of thumb is 1nm per 10 kts, but ‘it depends’. Did we get left high? Are we heavy? Is this in a descent? Some planes you get one or the other; go down or slow down, but not both. How does the airplane’s VNAV handle the slow down? The 74 slows quite a ways away sometimes, so I override it. Other pilots just let it do what it wants.

For reference, current 747 driver, former corporate pilot where we’d slow earlier so we didn’t have to deploy speed brakes. Now, I deploy them when needed.

Last edited:
The “normal” rule of thumb is 1nm per 10 kts, but ‘it depends’. Did we get left high? Are we heavy? Is this in a descent? Some planes you get one or the other; go down or slow down, but not both. How does the airplane’s VNAV handle the slow down? The 74 slows quite a ways away sometimes, so I override it. Other pilots just let it do what it wants.

For reference, current 747 driver, former corporate pilot where we’d slow earlier so we didn’t have to deploy speed brakes. Now, I deploy them when needed.
Lol we all use speed brakes fairly often. We must be substandard 91 pilots! I also don’t particularly enjoy hand flying this jet compared to the Hawker 800

Lol we all use speed brakes fairly often. We must be substandard 91 pilots! I also don’t particularly enjoy hand flying this jet compared to the Hawker 800
I didn’t say it was good or bad to use brakes, for the record. However, anything we could do to create as smooth of a ride as possible, we did. My passengers don’t complain now, so I use them. I do NOT rip them out like some of our guys do though. I still go for smoothness.

To each their own. ;)

For awareness purposes at work I was looking to get some ideas from guys on here about how far out they have to start slowing in their aircraft to meet a speed restriction per type. Given 310+ resume fix is 250kts, descending, how far out do you start slowing? Obviously a lot of factors here but just curious on the general consensus by types. Thanks!
As much distance as it takes to slow and cross the fix at the crossing speed. That's really NOT meant to be snide. Boards help... if necessary.

In the CRJ without VNAV I could hit a speed restriction no problem with common rules of thumb.

In the 737, VNAV decided when to slow and 12 out of 9 times it was totally surprised by the restriction and boards were needed.

Paid by the minute.

I have a feeling I’ll miss the relative simplicity of BFI. Right now we’re doing Renton some nights tho, eff that
Renton would be rough. I’ve only flew out of here a few times IFR and it always was a pain being at the 3rd important airport in that small radius.

Renton would be rough. I’ve only flew out of here a few times IFR and it always was a pain being at the 3rd important airport in that small radius.
Fortunately when we go there it’s the middle of the night (BFI long runway closed 2145-0500) so traffic isn’t as much of an issue, but approaches, runway, FBO services, access to food are all less than what we’re used to at BFI

250 until about 15-20NM or unless ATC tells me to slow earlier. As far as slowing for a fix, Airbus generally does a good job. Some times the plane thinks it has all the restrictions planned out then about 3NM out it goes, “Oh sugar honey ice tea, not gonna make it, MORE DRAG!!!!!!!”

I hear this all the time on here and then I tell people “speed your discretion” and they slow to 140kts on 10 mile final.
I love my straight-wing CJs below 10,000. I can do 250 till the marker, toss speed brakes out, hit 200, approach flaps/gear, and be stable and configured by 1,000’ easily. It’s even more fun since Vref is 100ish…

I love my straight-wing CJs below 10,000. I can do 250 till the marker, toss speed brakes out, hit 200, approach flaps/gear, and be stable and configured by 1,000’ easily. It’s even more fun since Vref is 100ish…
Ref in the 2000lxs routinely is ~100. If we are outside final and they give us “slow to final approach speed” it’s almost always answered “ that’s 100kts, do you want something else”

And mostly because of the panic that follows when suddenly everybody has a 30-70kt overtake on us… except for a 172, or a CJ1

Back