Slipping a seminole...

But as someone mentioned when you practice engine out you do put it in a light slip configuration "zero sideslip" for better aerodynamic performance during an engine out.

That's a bit of a contradiction. A "zero sideslip" isn't a "light slip", it's no slip at all, hence the word "zero". ;) The only time you have a slip is when you apply rudder, but no bank.

I would think what they were thinking had something to do with elevator effectiveness?
They probably had no reason at all for thinking as they do. Don't you think the POH would prohibit slips if they were dangerous? And, as I (and others) pointed out, a crosswind landing is a slip.

Since it is a T tail. All I know is the possibility of getting nad being unable to recover in a deep stall,
Not likely to be certified if that were the case.

is exactly what we are supposed to do in training. The 'eeking' you speak of is precisely the skill that needs the practice.

This is an example of the mindset that has eroded training in aviation in general in the past 20 years: if it's hard to do, just don't do it. Make up all kind of excuses, like how dangerous it is, or how 'useless' it is, or how it shows how bad your judgement is because you shouldn't be there in the first place.

Practicing a single-engine go-around and finding that best actual indicated airspeed and zero-sideslip configuration to obtaning best ROC is one of the best things you can do in M. E. training.

But,...it's like the slips and spins (SE) that actually increase pilot performance (command of the machine), but since thay are not PTS tested, thay are not taught, and have not been for so long, they have become alien and 'dangerous'.

(Heavy Sigh)

*shrug*

Learning the performance of a single-engine-operative twin in different configurations (including the go-around configuration) is exactly what the drag demo is for. On a hot day around here--and most are pretty hot--you can get as little as 150 fpm climb performance once you're cleaned up and zero-side-slipped. My comfort zone doesn't include a student flying at fifty feet over the runway with the gear up, trying to remember his flows and get the aircraft configured. Maybe this reflects poorly on my airmanship, but there are a lot of things the student could do in that situation which I wouldn't have time to remedy before metal meets earth.

That said, my students do practice single-engine go-around procedures, but we do it at altitude.

As for the stalls and spins, I'm completely with you on that. Lucky where I work we have an aerobatic plane and I strongly encourage my students to take a ride or two in that somewhere in or shortly after their primary training.

*shrug*

Learning the performance of a single-engine-operative twin in different configurations (including the go-around configuration) is exactly what the drag demo is for. On a hot day around here--and most are pretty hot--you can get as little as 150 fpm climb performance once you're cleaned up and zero-side-slipped. My comfort zone doesn't include a student flying at fifty feet over the runway with the gear up, trying to remember his flows and get the aircraft configured. Maybe this reflects poorly on my airmanship, but there are a lot of things the student could do in that situation which I wouldn't have time to remedy before metal meets earth.

That said, my students do practice single-engine go-around procedures, but we do it at altitude.

As for the stalls and spins, I'm completely with you on that. Lucky where I work we have an aerobatic plane and I strongly encourage my students to take a ride or two in that somewhere in or shortly after their primary training.

Well said. Thanks for that!

Slipping a Seminole is just fine without any flaps in. when the flaps are down, the only rod holding them down is prone to bending by the force of the relative wind hitting it from side.

the only rod holding them down is prone to bending by the force of the relative wind hitting it from side.

I don't really buy that. The profile of the rod is small, so the force is small, even at full flight speeds. However, you surely won't get over a 30 degree sideslip, so the component perpendicular to the rod is half of the flight velocity, so maybe 45 knots MAX? This doesn't take into account that the airflow under the wing is slower than flight velocity, either.

I know someone that slipped a DC9!

When I was an F/O I had a Captain slip an MD-80 to a landing to rwy 4R at ORD. I thought it was a horrible practice and told him so...all the way to the flare...but nevertheless, the airplane handled just like a 172 would have. Our company procedures require stabilized approaches so this was obviously very contrary to our airline's SOP.

An airplane is an airplane though...

Back