Sleep Amnesia

Fly_Unity

Got an older student/retired pilot who was denied a medical due to sleep amnesia, I guess he had it a few years back, had a sleep study done, they put him on a CPAP machine, he said it didnt work so he got rid of it because it was to expensive.

This was a few years ago, (he stated that he sleeps fine now) so he went for a medical, got denied, got upset and threw away the papers. Now after he calmed down a bit, decided that maybe he wants to go through the hoops of trying to get the medical.

What is the process of getting the medical?

It is sleep apnea.

He will need to get a sleep study done and submit it to the FAA to get considered for a medical.

Submit all pertinent medical information and current status report. Include sleep study with a polysomnogram, use of medications and titration study results to the FAA for a Special issuance. It takes about 6 weeks.

Hate to hijack, but pertinent question...

Possibly doing the apnea study while still in the military. Talking to the Flight Surgeon, sounds like it will be no issue going through the study and being cleared to remain in a flying status.

Curious how this would effect an FAA clearance though. If I pass through the military checks with flying colors, any chance it might effect an FAA med in the future?

Having an SI for sleep apnea is not uncommon. There are many airline pilots out there on SIs for sleep apnea and carry CPAP machines with them on trips. Jumping through the hoops is annoying, but certainly not anything that can't successfully be done.

Submit all pertinent medical information and current status report. Include sleep study with a polysomnogram, use of medications and titration study results to the FAA for a Special issuance. It takes about 6 weeks.

Another question Dr. Are you required to send your current medical along with all the medical info(tests, dr letter, studies ect)that you have gathered to send to the FAA???

Thanks Dr. all the papers were mailed to the FAA. Let's see how long does it take to be approved????

Another question. Since I received the SI for sleep apnea, how do I report the condition on MedExpress? Previously reported no change??

ok, perhaps I have misread the bouncing back of posts and replies... so I am gonna spell my case out and see what kind of answer I get,,,
I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Thursday, I go to pick up my equipment etc. and thus begin my 30 day minimum recording of data regarding usage and efficiency.. I then have to give this info to my AME who sends it off to OKC for review and approval for a waiver (or not ) MY QUESTION IS ... due to the sequestration and now shutdown of the GOV, what kind of processing delays can I expect? I have heard that folks requesting first class medicals, 121 pilots etc, get priority over 2nd and 3rd class., is this true?

. I am on a medical LOA,, so I am trying to best budget til I can get back to flying the line.?

thanks in advance

You will also need a MWT to send in with all of the other reports. Mainenance Wakefullness Test. Been there done all that. It's worth it to keep flying.

Back