Sleep Amnesia

The scary thing about sleep studies (From what I heard) is that it is rare when someone who takes one in their 40's or older passes with flying colors. True?

The scary thing about sleep studies (From what I heard) is that it is rare when someone who takes one in their 40's or older passes with flying colors. True?

In the process of finishing up mine now, at age of 37. Not sure what you would mean by passing with flying colors. Hardest part of the sleep study was getting comfortable with all of the wires they hook you up to. Either you sleep well, or you don't. If you don't they recommend things to help you sleep better.

I still have to go finish up the MWT. I've been using the CPAP for about 3 weeks now, and have never slept better... When I can keep the thing on all night. :D It takes some getting used to. The MWT seems pretty straight forward, stay awake as long as you can without any outside stimulation ( i.e. sitting and staring ). If you can't stay awake when bored, then maybe you'll have some trouble, I guess.

I would think that anything that you're afraid of from the sleep study would normally be picked up in you physical anyways. There wasn't anything special to the study.

Well this may sound dumb... but once you get 30 day + results from cpap machine.... do you go and take x class medical exam and send in with machine results or

Do apply for waiver 1st and when you get waiver (if) then go take x class physical?

Where does the MHT fall into play?

This may be asked and answered... but trying to get the sequence right... on LOA and my rep hasn't run into an apnea case til me.

Last edited:
You will need to have the sleep study results before you get the medical. The AME should defer the medical and the FAA will grant a Special issuance and send your certificate from Oklahoma City.

I posted a seperate topic on this some months back, but I recently went through the process. I am not overweight (BMI 23), and am in fact in great shape, run 16 miles a week, eat right ,etc, and yet I have it. It's driving me nuts explaining to crews over and over that yes, I do in fact have OSA, despite not being fat. It's not exclusive to the overweight! Anyway, I did not have to submit a MWT. It took several months for the FAA to get my SI out to me though..longer than I had expected. Note that the FAA is going to start making pilots submit to sleep apnea screening based on BMI in the near future.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Targets-Fat-Pilots-And-Controllers220978-1.html

Last edited:
Doc,

Is it a BMI of 40 OR a 17" neck or a BMI of 40 AND a 17" neck. Because I have a BMI under 30 but I think my shirt size for the neck is 17.5" ???

Thanks for all you do Doc!

Back