SLC Departure procedures

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
Okay... Doug and fellow JC'ers. I was flying back home to CVG from PHX with a stop in SLC.

I happen to frequent SLC from time to time. And today they were departing runways 16L/16R.

My question to one and all is everytime these runways are in use.

Planes take off and once the gear are safely tucked away they make an immediate right hand turn and head ina westerly direction.

I mean it's awesome to see 767-300,400's and 757-200's perform this manuver at such low altitudes.

Now if this were just a few planes doing this I wouldn't think twice about it.

But it was every Delta plane,Skywest,United,American and others.

So my question is why when these runways 16L/16R are in use do all the planes departing SLC depart in this manner. Instead of flying straight out over the city or departing in a different manner.

Is it for noise abatement or terrain or for what?

Matthew

Superior Valkyrie Ace

Probably just showing off.
smile.gif
Just Kidding. I do not know what I am talking about. Speaking of SLC airport....oh I better start a new thread so I don't hijack.

When we're heading east, we'll depart 16R, make a right turn to a heading of 080 while climbing to be able to cross the Wasatch mountains with sufficient clearance.

Not much hot dogging at all, just trying to stay in obstruction-free airspace!

I'm currently flying the SDF-SLC-SDF route each night during the week through Jan. Departing south we are normally given 16L out of our cargo ramp. The standard ATC clearance is always the same and pretty much follows our engine out procedure (pink page). We are normally given a right turn out (usually started at 400'ft) to a heading of 280 degrees and climb to 10000'ft. Landing aircraft on the downwind are usually at 11,000'ft.

As Doug said, turning left after departure would probably hurt as the terrain rises faster than the airplane at the weights we fly. Going straight out would put you head to head with the descending inbound aircraft being vectored for the downwind. Best bet...head west (quickest route)under the downwind aircraft and then climb above them before turning east over the mountains.

I believe it was SLC I was flying into (how sad, don't even know that) a couple years ago on a UAL 737 from Denver, was listening to channal nine, and heard ATC tell us direct to FFU, FFC, something like that, then positioned us to fly the downwind for a south landing on 16R/L. But man, we paralleled mountains to our left what were amazing, it was awesome, we flew along side those for, I'm guessing maybe 3 minutes then they ended and we flew out over Salt Lake I believe, turned and landed.

Anyway, SLC has a pretty cool approach as well as departure.
grin.gif

I don't think I have ever heard the ATIS here not say "Caution all aircraft, the Salt Lake Eight Departure is a radar vector departure, expect vectors on course from departure control." The SL8 departure, as published calls for an immediate right turn to 280º. As it was said it climbs the departing aircraft away from the Wasatch range and underneath the downwind a/c. Another challenge is that SL Valley has pretty significant mountains both E and W. If you didn't make the immediate right turn you would be too close to the Oquirrh mountains (those are the mountains you parallel on downwind from FFU inbound to SLC. The fact that the valley is congested and relatively narrow, the right turn is the best because it also sends you over the Great Salt Lake to climb. Fun turn huh?

SLC has always been one of my favorite airports. The scenery is beautiful and I never get tired of just looking at those magnificent snow capped mountains and Great Salt Lake. Reminds me of Anchorage, AK...minus the Northern Lights.

As a passenger, the visuals in KDCA, and KLGA are always fun. I flew in LGA twice both times on the Expressway visual (?), and into DCA once on the River visual.

I know Doug has flown these before, anyone else... as a pilot? What is it like?

Pretty fun because it's never really a stabilized approach. Constantly turning, manuevering and your brain is working a million miles a minute to check and crosscheck your aircraft's performance and descent profile.

It's a much needed adrenaline boost after days of flying 20 mile finals into ATL at 170 knots. Zzz!

Well, the SL8 departure IS a radar vector departure. I think the lost comm procedure is that turn to 280. I think there were some airplanes taking off and making that turn (especially dangerous departing from the east runway with simultaneous departures from the west runway). So they made a remark in the ATIS (seeming making it the longest ATIS in existence).

Typically if your route of flight is due south or north you'll use the east runway. If it's east or west you'll go off the west runway (unless you're departing 34 going east). Confused? yeah, me too.

The Expressway Visual 31 into LGA is a blast to fly. As Doug said, you are never really stabilized until about a 1/2 mile final, depending on traffic. It takes a lot of thought to made everything work out so when you roll onto final you are on the VASI.

Another favorite of mine is the ILS 15R with a visual transition to 4L in Boston. This is a prop only approach and when you make the base turn, you are pointing right at downtown Boston and are below the tops of the buildings. This is an approach that you have to brief the pax on or they might freak out on ya.

You know, folks like you and I used to be able to fly the river visual. But now DCA is closed to all GA flights so only guys like Doug can do it.

DCA always drives me nuts. Loosest security in the nation and chock full of eyewash goofiness to get in and out.

But you've got to wait for the book!
smile.gif

At first i didnt like the Express Way visual in LGA, or flying into LGA at all for that matter. But now its a little better b/c it gives you a little time to actually fly the airplane vs. being set up on a 20 mile final. The departure procedures outta LGA can also be fun too. The whitestone climb off of 13 can be fun. It starts out with a right turn to 180 at 500ft...then at 2.5 DME turn left back to 04O, all while holding less then 210, which makes for a steep climb angle if your light. Whats fun is alot of times if your going south theyll keep ya in the turn giving you a good view of Downtown NYC....as if you have enough time to sightsee!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have ever heard the ATIS here not say "Caution all aircraft, the Salt Lake Eight Departure is a radar vector departure, expect vectors on course from departure control." The SL8 departure, as published calls for an immediate right turn to 280º. As it was said it climbs the departing aircraft away from the Wasatch range and underneath the downwind a/c. Another challenge is that SL Valley has pretty significant mountains both E and W. If you didn't make the immediate right turn you would be too close to the Oquirrh mountains (those are the mountains you parallel on downwind from FFU inbound to SLC. The fact that the valley is congested and relatively narrow, the right turn is the best because it also sends you over the Great Salt Lake to climb. Fun turn huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yea fun turn I was flying home ina 767-300. We departed rwy. 16R I heard the landing gear come up and the gear doors lock.

Then we made that fast low right hand turn, which pushed me back into my seat and brought a smile to me face as we climbed through the fog and the low clouds.

From the ground it is a great departure to watch, more especially with the large heavies.

However I have departed SLC flying Southwest to LAX and LAS. We departed runway 16L and the SL8 departure was in use however we flew straight out over the city and didn't begin our right turn till we were well outa city limits.

Rather boirng if you ask me.

Yesterday however all aircraft departing the east rwy. flew straight out over the city.

FFU is that the name of the SLC VOR?

Matthew

Superior Valkyrie Ace

Oh yea there were a ton of 757 & 767-300,400's that came in and departed while I was there.

Does SLC have 757/767 based crew's there?

Lastly I have never seen a 777 in SLC do they ever fly in there?

Matthew

Superior Valkyrie Ace

We have 737-300 crews, 737-800 crews, 757/767 crews and that's just about it!

The 767-400 crews are from Atlanta, but the ones that make the trek to Hawaii are LAX-based.

All of the MD-90's you see there are crewed out of DFW (thats me!).

FFU is the Fairfield VOT.

Yes, 757/767 crews in SLC.

We get 777's now and again but they aren't scheduled. Around the holidays we have a 747 doing freight runs but I have yet to see them this year.

Delta had an MD-11 in here a little while ago doing the SLC-ATL trip. Again, not the scheduled equipment.

I miss watching the Delta L10's fly in and out of here... I miss them period.

edit: too slow, doh!

Back