SkyWest hiring...

Yea I wish this site would let you delete post. I read that later on after I post it missed it first time.

So now I get to figure out WHY I didnt receive an email for an interview. Any tips for applying? Or is it just luck of the draw when you are new and have no experience?

So now I get to figure out WHY I didnt receive an email for an interview. Any tips for applying? Or is it just luck of the draw when you are new and have no experience?

When you're new and have no experience, it can be hard to get interviews. You might have a pro look over your resume - in the meantime, persistence is key in applying. I sent out probably 60 or 70 resumes and had only 2 interviews - the second one got me a job.

When you're new and have no experience, it can be hard to get interviews. You might have a pro look over your resume - in the meantime, persistence is key in applying. I sent out probably 60 or 70 resumes and had only 2 interviews - the second one got me a job.

I guess that can be the deciding factor. Its frustrating but I am being persistent. I have sent my resume to a buddy to look it over. can you recommend anyone or a company to help with the resume part?

I guess that can be the deciding factor. Its frustrating but I am being persistent. I have sent my resume to a buddy to look it over. can you recommend anyone or a company to help with the resume part?

Resumes are SO subjective that all you can really do is make sure you've tailored it to the audience you're trying to appeal to. Be careful about spammy resumes and having one canned document that you don't pay much attention to. Best thing to do is get it in front of as many people as possible who actually do hiring and take all of their advice with a grain of salt.

Also, try to envision it as an ad in a Newspaper or Magazine. I can say with 100% certainty it's going to get skimmed unless/until your prospective employer is actually interested. Make sure your finished document is "skimworthy" meaning not too wordy but still detailed enough to catch an eye. Don't be afraid to BOLD or underline things you want noticed but don't do it too much. Go for moderation and be honest and eventually you'll get your worth across but the most important rule of resumes is that they CANNOT stand alone. If you have a gorgeous resume but a crappy interview then the time you spent making yourself look good on paper is kinda wasted.

*Also don't "stream of consciousness" write like I just did in this post. Sentence structure is a big pet peeve to some people so read it out loud before you send it off.

I applied but haven't heard anything. I am guessing I will not be getting an interview. I am wondering if I have something in my resume that might be "kicking" me out automatically. I had a pro write a new resume for me. I like it, but I wonder if it is too detailed. The reason I am concerned is that I know of someone from my school that received an interview right after the class ended. I went to IFOD, I have a college degree, some airline experience, and a good work history. I can understand not getting the job, but I wonder why I cant get the interview. Is it the no experience? Would it be wrong to try and find out from them what in my resume is lacking so I can work on it? I have had interviews with a few other airlines. I would just like a chance to interview with SkyWest. Anyone with advice would be welcome.

I am looking at many airlines, I am just curious why I haven't gotten a chance with SkyWest. I know they are a great company and probably selective. Just would like a chance to sell myself in person.

I applied but haven't heard anything. I am guessing I will not be getting an interview. I am wondering if I have something in my resume that might be "kicking" me out automatically. I had a pro write a new resume for me. I like it, but I wonder if it is too detailed. The reason I am concerned is that I know of someone from my school that received an interview right after the class ended. I went to IFOD, I have a college degree, some airline experience, and a good work history. I can understand not getting the job, but I wonder why I cant get the interview. Is it the no experience? Would it be wrong to try and find out from them what in my resume is lacking so I can work on it? I have had interviews with a few other airlines. I would just like a chance to interview with SkyWest. Anyone with advice would be welcome.

I am looking at many airlines, I am just curious why I haven't gotten a chance with SkyWest. I know they are a great company and probably selective. Just would like a chance to sell myself in person.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over it. In my experience, the hiring process seems to make no sense whatsoever at times...people will get interviews with no experience, etc. and stuff that leaves you scratching your head. I've found the best thing to do is be flexible about where you're willing to move and/or commute, and apply to as many jobs as possible. It's good you had a pro do your resume also. As you said, SkyWest is a popular airline so they probably had lots of resumes to choose from. Definitely, if you see them post again and you're still interested, apply again. Also, the first gig is always the hardest one to get...after you have some dispatch experience and start looking you'll get a lot more response, in my experience. Good luck!

And by SGU I mean LAS... Just wanted to clarify.

Correct, they don't do interviews in SGU. It's next to impossible getting in and out of there non-revving and Delta will no longer allow positive space company business travel.

If you have interviewed with few other airlines then your resume is PROBABLY fine. Network, network, network, do you know anyone at SkyWest?

Yes. They said that I now 'hold the record' for the farthest distance traveled to an interview. Guess it wasn't enough...
It did seem like they had a huge response, so they could be picky...

Yes. They said that I now 'hold the record' for the farthest distance traveled to an interview. Guess it wasn't enough...
It did seem like they had a huge response, so they could be picky...
Yeah a friend of mine interviewed and didn't get it, either.

Don't feel bad I did not do so well in the interview, allot was going on so I was not able to prepare as I normally do. So I went into it really off my game and got nervous right off the bat. There some question I knew by hart and was not able to answer. So I got my Thank you for you interest as well.

Back