Skywest crj drivers

ahsmatt7

Hello all,

I finished the ground portion of new hire training last Thursday. I'm out in sfo and don't start sim until early feb. That being said, I have a huge favor to ask. If any of you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ride up front on quite a bit of flights to observe day to day line ops in prep for sim. If any of you are up for it, then let me know. Thank you for your time!

-Matt

Hello all,

I finished the ground portion of new hire training last Thursday. I'm out in sfo and don't start sim until early feb. That being said, I have a huge favor to ask. If any of you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ride up front on quite a bit of flights to observe day to day line ops in prep for sim. If any of you are up for it, then let me know. Thank you for your time!

-Matt

Very cool of you to ask, I'd also recommend going to the crew room in SFO and talking to the crews there. Tell them what you're trying to accomplish and go list for the jumpseat at the gate. I had a new hire do this not long ago and we were able to get him in the jump with us the whole day until we went to the overnight. We saw him the following day and another crew was helping him do the same thing. SkyWest has great crews who are generally more than willing to help out. Best of luck and happy holidays!

Thanks and great idea. I'm a little nervous walking into the crew room being the new guy. Haha I might need to get over that fast. Anyways, once again, thanks for the advice!

I've had new hires on the jump often lately. 95% of the Captains will be really cool if you just tell them what you're trying to do. WnB on the 200 can get tight when alternates are involved, so 700/900 might decrease the likelihood of getting left at an out station. Welcome!

Welcome! I know I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever if a new hire wanted to ride up front to get an idea of what's going on before sim! I actually wanted to do the same thing when I was in SLC for training, but they didn't give us our badges until almost the end of systems! By that time the only place I wanted to jumpseat to was home!

Thanks and great idea. I'm a little nervous walking into the crew room being the new guy. Haha I might need to get over that fast. Anyways, once again, thanks for the advice!

You'll get over that really fast. One thing I learned is that nobody knows if you're new or not. I came from a company of 100 pilots, where I basically knew everyone by first name, including management, and they all knew me. If we had a new group of pilots, we could ID them in the hallway immediately (Fresh blood!). SkyWest has been a HUGE culture shock to me because I'm used to being a name, not a number. Now when I walk into a room, unless I start asking noobish questions (which is totally okay!), people just assume I must know what I'm doing. I've only been in the SFO crew room a few times, but it's more of a closet compared to ours in ORD :D

Nah, dude. Act like you work here/belong here and you'll fit right in. Let me know when you're hanging around up there, would be nice to meet another member of the Jetcareers Mafia. And if you want to see the future, come for a ride on the 175, just so you can see how lazy I am compare and contrast.

Also. Dot CCCCAAAAANNNN.

Welcome! Send me a PM if you'd like to join us for a ASE turn out of SFO next month.
I think I want to do that!

Just show up for the flights. Explain what you are doing. I'd guess 95% of the crews will be happy to see you taking an initiative.
Observation flights were mandatory on the EM2, I don't know if they were/are on the Skidoo Jet though. Sun Valley is pretty damned pretty in the summertime. My observations were both educational and completely validated my decision to fly the Bro for a bit. :cool:

It's not required on the CRJ as of a couple of months ago. I remember having to turn in boarding passes to prove we did an observation for EMB initial though!

When I started some years ago it was mandatory on the CRJ. It isn't on the ER7 though, I don't think.
No, although I would strongly advise anyone who goes through the program to jumpseat at least once or twice on the thing - even if it is a Compass airplane, for instance, and not ours - just to see all the things, thinging.
It's not required on the CRJ as of a couple of months ago. I remember having to turn in boarding passes to prove we did an observation for EMB initial though!
b31.jpg

Back