Skidz flight training confessions

Skidz,

Do yourself, and any other veterans a favor and call the VA up.

Tell them the name of the school, and you need to speak to someone in school verification(s), and approvals. Tell them that this place has been acting as a VA 141 Approved school (advertising as such) for X # of years.

The VA doesn't take litely to a school advertising incorrectly to Veterans. And surprisingly, when it's like this. . .they act pretty quickly.

Skidz,

Do yourself, and any other veterans a favor and call the VA up.

Tell them the name of the school, and you need to speak to someone in school verification(s), and approvals. Tell them that this place has been acting as a VA 141 Approved school (advertising as such) for X # of years.

The VA doesn't take litely to a school advertising incorrectly to Veterans. And surprisingly, when it's like this. . .they act pretty quickly.

First time I've agreed with you in quite a while, bro. :laff:

And when you do call and have a conversation with them, make sure the person that you are talking with pulls up their website to see the obvious over-the-top VA advertising.

Since you are on-base there in New Orleans, I would go to the education office and use some of the old-timers that have some good pull with people in the VA. Let us know how this thing progresses. Good luck, bro.

I'm sticking to my guns and keep going. It looked like a nice weather this morning but it soon turned to marginal vfr as we did some of the manouvering, some pattern a and b, vertical s manouvers, victor airway tracking. I feel like I'm progressing quite nicely, I got the big picture thanking to the countless hours in my MS Flight Simulator, just need to polish the cockpit management skills a bit. I even wish I've done more but the instructor didn't want to go too far ahead, we have already skipped couple lessons because I handled it with a confidence. I think we're gonna do some holding patterns next week, and then some more holding patterns and then...I guess I'll just put my life in a holding pattern for couple weeks now :D
Anyway, I can't wait for next lesson, I just love this stuff :D

Hey Skiddo!

I searched high and low for a more applicable flight training video that may help.

:)

[yt]zT60SkXN1UY[/yt]

haha, funny, you must be growing your grass in the thin air :D
We do have few remote airplanes at the workplace, I also have a remote helicopter and we do occasionally slip from work to have some fun.

Morning JC'ers Skidz here with some update, not a big one, but after almost a week on the ground even the dme arcs and holding is exciting. I nailed that pretty good this morning which has put me in the good mood for the rest of the day. We took off and tracked the V20 to SNAKI intersection. The wind made my outbound legs last about 20-25 seconds in order to fly the inbound leg for a minute, that was some 70 knots outbound and 110 or so inbound.
The weather cleared up quite a bit after almost a week of heavy rains and winds. I should have two more lessons this week and maybe I get to write up some more about it.
Take care ya'all :D

Love,
Skidz

I had a stage check today. This is the first out of three stage checks for my instrument rating. Before I went flying, we covered some of the ground stuff, and I had to take a stage check written test. For the stage check we took of north to Hammond, I was tracking the Hammond VOR and then a 9 Nm arc around it to line up for localizer approach to Hammond. After tracking the outbound loc course we did some unusual attitudes, compass turns and timing, DG and AI failure and then the GPS tracking back to Lakefront. We also did changes in altitudes, speeds and steep turns. This is basically the basics of IFR flying and tomorrow we will start on the approaches and more holdings and that will be the stage two. Will keep posting it here as it gets more interesting.

HI everyone,
Well, I've had some cool experience today, I've done 3 instrument approaches in solid IMC for a total of 1.5 actual. We took off from Lakefront direct to Hammond VOR, we did two VOR 18 approaches with missed approach and holding and then we went back for the VOR/DME approach 36L to Lakefront. The ceilings were pretty low, some 800 ft or so with a mile visibility, perfect for this kind of approach. This was my first VOR approach and it was actual IMC, it just couldn't get any better than this :D

Back when I did a lot of IFR ratings, I would teach all the basics in the ground trainer before setting foot in an airplane. That way the guy at least had an into to holding patterns, VOR nav, NDB nav, DME arcs, and all the approaches. I found the ground trainer very useful, efficient, and cost saving, for about 10 hours toward an IFR rating.

If a guy said "I'd rather do it in an airplane", though, I'd gladly let him.

My flight training has become a pain, not because of me, but because of the school. Since I've lost my instructor that had me right on the track for a while and everything went well, all of a sudden he's gone and the school ended up with only one CFII and a new guy that just shows up to fill in. I haven't been able to continue as I wanted to and now I'm just picking up the lose ends here wondering if I'm ever gonna finish this at all.
Wish me luck ya'll, I'm getting really frustrated here.

hey buddy - have faith. also - be the squeaky wheel a little bit, too. before you know it, you'll be looking back at this as a pain in the butt - but you'll be looking back at it. Take advantage of the down time to take a ton of practice tests, fly sim, etc. Practice tests #1 though.

I hope you get back on your feet quickly - I've been through some growing pains at my school, too. When/if it comes down to it some polite, but firm, discussions and deadlines to the school might be in order. Especially if they are sitting on your funds.

Take a deep breath ...:hiya:

Well, I've done a stage two check last thursday. We did the ILS 01 to MSY (New Orleans Intl), Localizer to 01 and VOR/DME to KNEW on the IFR plan. I did good except for making my instructor nervous because I kept looking down and double checking the minimum descent altitudes on the final stages of the approach :D The whole thing seemed overwhelming at first, but before you know it you realize you've done like two dozen approaches and you know what to look at and you just tweak it all up a bit and get rid of some bad habbits. I'm supposed to do a few cross countries right now and I will probably start doing some of that this week. It's being kinda hard because of some personal issues on the side, some college coursework I still have to do (my last class for my Bachelor's)
Had a little bit too much on my shoulders lately, but I'm still alive and kicking. I'll keep you all posted here on the rest of my IFR training. I still have to do the FAA written as well. :crazy:

Thanks for the updates Skiddo! Its enjoyable keeping up with your progress. I remember those stressful :panic:days/nights working on my IFR. Makes me want to get current again soon!

Ciao!

I was supposed to have another flight today, the school is down to two cfii's and the girl that works there scheduled me with an instructor who isn't a cfii...well long story short...I am staying on the ground this week and I have the next flight scheduled for Monday. I just had no luck with this place. They are hurting for cfi's though and if I ever ever make it through I am basically guaranteed a job there...if I can handle the confusion and stress that comes with it. :D
That's it I'm pissed off...but that's ok cause my baby Pam is coming here this weekend...and hopefuly we get to go fly a little...
peace out!
:D

Took a little break from training and took off into the skies yesterday with Pam (NotCoolEnufToFly) and her friend Amber. Had a very nice flight and got compliments for a picture perfect landing. I'm happy I didn't disappoint the ladies :) It's nice to take a pleasure flight like this after 20+ hours of torture under the hood :D

I've done a short cross country yesterday. We took of from Lakefront (NEW) did an ILS 13 approach to Baton rouge for a touch and go, direct to Hammond for a Localizer 18 approach and back to Lakefront for GPS 18R. I think next week I'm gonna do the long cross country and then get ready for a checkride. I've been behind with studdying for an FAA test, got to knock that out sometime as well. I haven't been flying that much lately, but still I retained a lot of learned information and feel comfortable with everything, Instrument flying doesn't seem as complicated now as it seemed at first. Well, so much for now, I don't think there will be whole lot going on there before checkride which I'm gonna post here as well after it happens. Take care everyone, fly safe,

Skidz :)

I've done another cross country yesterday, that was the long cross country required for the rating. I filed three IFR flight plans NEW-LFT, LFT-BTR and BTR to NEW. Apparently this is easier to run through than having a really long one. Anyway, we picked up the clearance on the ground at NEW, on the way to LFT we went through solid IMC with visible moisture, the temperature was at 6 C so it's always good to watch for possible icing conditions, we then did an ILS 22L to LFT, a touch and go and continued on to BTR while picking up that second IFR clearance which went pretty smooth. After another ILS 13 to BTR we picked up the third clearance and continued to HDC for LOC 18 approach and back to NEW for GPS 18R, nice long flight, great experience, got a little bit tired on the way back. I've almost fulfilled all the requirements with this flight, so I'm on to the checkride prep and I still have to do the darn FAA written. I don't anticipate doing this before January so I'll just take it easy and get more proficient in my flying skills while studdying for the test. :)

I've had a pretty cool flight yesterday, it was windy, something like 12g19 from the east, but it looked pretty clear. We took off from Lakefront to do some unusual attitudes, partial panel stuff refresher and went on to shooting few approaches. We wanted to do a VOR/DME 18 to Slidell and we heard some of the guys went missed because the ceilling was around 100 or so, they never saw the runway. We got our pop-up IFR plan for the approach to slidell and then back to Lakefront VOR/DME 36L. Both approaches had gusting winds coming from the east. The whole approach into Slidell was in the clouds, I went down to the minimum altitude which was 240 I think, didn't need a hood cause everything was white, it felt a bit disorientating at first because I haven't flown like that a whole lot, but looking down to instruments rather than gazing at the clouds helped the cause. Well, just like the other folks, I've never seen the runway and at the missed approach point we went missed and picked up the vectors back to Lakefront for VOR/DME 36L. The controller vectored us to intercept the final approach course but it had to be more than standard rate turn to get me on the final course because the winds were just trying to blow me west of the course. Runway 9 would have been far more favorable to land on and I sort of wished we could have circled to land on 9, but since we were on IFR clearence we had to land on 36L which had published instrument procedures, so we had to stick with it. I had to put in a full left rudder and quite a bit of right aileron to stay lined up with the runway centerline, taxying back to the parking wasn't any easier. It was a great experience and it makes you feel that this is the real deal because everyone can fly when it's nice no wind clear sunshine day, and that tends to become boring after a while. As a private pilot I was looking for nice days like that, but right now I'm anxious to immerse myself into those clouds up there any chance I get :D
Thanx for reading, happy flying holidays to all!
:)

Cool thread! I am doing the second half of the instrument rating (since its part 141, we have 2 different courses) the procedures and regulations part, and reading this has really gotten me pumped up for it. Can't wait!

Thanks, have a happy new year, and keep it up! :nana2:

Back