Sick Time

If you're sick, you're sick. That doesn't mean you can't work.

If you're too sick to work, you're too sick to work. That doesn't mean you need to be fired for it. It doesn't matter what industry. Sick people is part of the cost of business.

A company I used to work for many moons ago was pretty well known in our Region (within the company "region", not part of the US "region") for canning people for calling off sick, ESPECIALLY during peak business times (holidays). The really crappy part about that is the holidays end up somehow coming around during the winter .... when people get sick.

I found out that a store manager (same position I held at the time) had been fired for calling off sick a week after Thanksgiving. I worked a year straight not taking any time off for vacation or sick time I was so nervous.

-mini

The only response you'll hear from me is that you're the reason that we need unions to protect ourselves. You sicken me.

Who protects the employer from employees who miss numerous work days due to illness? Who protects the employer from the lost productivity and lost sales that result from those sick employees missing work? Who protects the employer when he’s paying out huge amounts of sick time? Who protects the employer when he is paying overtime to the employees who pick up the slack? Who protects the employer as health insurance premiums spiral higher and higher because of employee health issues? Who protects the employer when those higher costs mean he has to increase his product price? Who protects the employer when sales decline because his product is not price competitive? Who protects the other employees when the employer has to lay them off because of those lost sales? Who pays into the unemployment system when the employer goes out of business?

Who protects the employer when he and his employees are out of work because people illness and health care costs put the company out of business?

Why is it the responsibility of employers to bear the cost of employee ill health?

I don't want a sick person sneezing and breathing all over me. If you are sick you are sick. Let the reserves fly thats why they have them. I have only called in sick for one out and back in 5 1/2 years. I shouldn't have even started that trip any way when I look back on it. Some people just get sick more often. Don't let any one make you fly if you don't think you can do it!

Who protects the employer from employees who miss numerous work days due to illness? Who protects the employer from the lost productivity and lost sales that result from those sick employees missing work? Who protects the employer when he’s paying out huge amounts of sick time? Who protects the employer when he is paying overtime to the employees who pick up the slack? Who protects the employer as health insurance premiums spiral higher and higher because of employee health issues? Who protects the employer when those higher costs mean he has to increase his product price? Who protects the employer when sales decline because his product is not price competitive? Who protects the other employees when the employer has to lay them off because of those lost sales? Who pays into the unemployment system when the employer goes out of business?

Who protects the employer when he and his employees are out of work because people illness and health care costs put the company out of business?

Why is it the responsibility of employers to bear the cost of employee ill health?

This has got to be a joke. You're not a pilot are you? I'll give you a couple of examples of why it is significantly different being a pilot vs a ordinary office worker.

1. Ear Infection - cannot fly with ear infection. Would I go to a desk job w/ an ear infection.....hell ya, but I can't fly so I call in sick.

2. Illness requiring medication - there are several medications that you cannot fly while taking. Could you work a desk job? Once again, heck ya.

I am definitely NOT saying that some people don't abuse the system, because they do. But guess what, people abuse the system EVERY day in EVERY career. I have to say that PCL is 100% correct, we need unions to protect ourselves from from completely inept people like yourself. Before you go spew your convoluted thoughts on how you can only be sick 3 days a year, please educate yourself.

I think the OP spoke of 5 times a year, not three days a year. There is a big difference.

Again, I think the OP needs to understand the policy at his non-union company and do his best to comply. If he gets called on the carpet, the FAA isn't going to lift a finger, more than likely. Even at a union company, if you cross the matrix that management keeps on sick leave abuse, you might be called to the carpet. The union can protect you, to a certain extent. But I wouldn't want to be the guy who is at the extreme end of the matrix, union or not.

I think the OP spoke of 5 times a year, not three days a year. There is a big difference.

Again, I think the OP needs to understand the policy at his non-union company and do his best to comply. If he gets called on the carpet, the FAA isn't going to lift a finger, more than likely. Even at a union company, if you cross the matrix that management keeps on sick leave abuse, you might be called to the carpet. The union can protect you, to a certain extent. But I wouldn't want to be the guy who is at the extreme end of the matrix, union or not.

I realize the OP said 5 times a year, but skydog seems to think that 5 times is ridiculous. I completely agree that you do NOT want to be at the extreme end, however calling in sick 5 times in a year is definitely NOT the extreme end. This particular year I had the flu and then had 2 ear infections all in the span of 3 months. It was hell and I called out sick every time. I then, a couple months later, was in the emergency room for some kind of stomach virus (the same thing they got on cruise ships). I called out sick again. This year I have been sick 4 times, is that excessive to you skydog?

If you're sick, don't go to work because of fear of intimidation. Because if you come to work sick and you make ME sick, oh hell, it's on.

Screen well, hire well, trust your employees to do a good job and they will perform.

But the average person does not call in sick 5 or more times a year.

Then why do most companies give you ten days of sick leave?

I'd rather someone call out than show up sick and spread their germs throughout the entire company.

The "heroes" who show up sick and spread their germs drag down productivity far more than they would if they just called out, and several studies have shown this.

If you are out sick less than the number of days the company has given you to call out, then there should be no penalties or sanctions. You're just doing what they're allowing you to do and there should be no pressure put on someone who does what the company specifically allows them to do.

I'm a fan of the companies that just give you X number of personal days. Take it as vacation, as sick time, as an eff-off day - whatever.

I'm a fan of the companies that just give you X number of personal days. Take it as vacation, as sick time, as an eff-off day - whatever.

:yeahthat: I have said I am in favor of that before. Some companies don't have sick days, vacation days, or personal days, they just have paid PDOs (paid days off). If you are sick, the sick days you take come out of your allotted PDOs.
That way the malingerers don't get any more days off than the others.

:yeahthat:

Probably will never see that in an airline contract though.

Yeah - I'm sure that would be tough to do because someone has to fill that seat at a specific date and time. In a job like mine, no one has to cover my slack if I take a day off.

:yeahthat: I have said I am in favor of that before. Some companies don't have sick days, vacation days, or personal days, they just have paid PDOs (paid days off). If you are sick, the sick days you take come out of your allotted PDOs.
That way the malingerers don't get any more days off than the others.

Ah - PDOs - that's what I meant.

What about when state law allows you to use sick time to care for a spouse or child? New babies get sick often, am I supposed to leave the baby home alone with a working spouse? Daycares won't allow sick children, and we have no other family in the area. Throw in a few times a year you might be personally sick, and you could easily bust the "occurrences" number they have set up.

I have a followup question... I called in sick yesterday and had to speak with the CP regarding me calling in.... very quick no indepth questions and no mention of getting a Doctors note.... call in this morning to report sick for duty and they ask why I haven't submitted a doctors note.... now am I crazy or does this seem a bit off?
Any thoughts or ideas?
B

I have a followup question... I called in sick yesterday and had to speak with the CP regarding me calling in.... very quick no indepth questions and no mention of getting a Doctors note.... call in this morning to report sick for duty and they ask why I haven't submitted a doctors note.... now am I crazy or does this seem a bit off?
Any thoughts or ideas?
B

Research your company's written policies and follow it from there.

Any thoughts or ideas?
B

You do not need a doctor's note! Don't let them push you around. If, after an extended period of time off, they ask for a note, then you should provide one. However, if you have a head cold, there is no reason to spend your money to see a dr. when all they're gonna tell you is you have a cold, don't spend the money. If they insist, ask them to pay for your co-pay and you'd be happy to get a note.

Back