Sick of soiled cabins and biting, Delta wants proof that support animals are trained

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/19/del...equirements-for-support-animals-on-board.html

A passenger checks-in with her dog at a Delta Airlines counter, LaGuardia Airport in New York.

Passengers who wish to bring their support animal on board a Delta Air Lines plane will have to show proof of health and vaccinations 48 hours in advance, as well as other requirements, the airline said Friday.

Under the new rules, which take effect March 1, travelers with a psychiatric service or support animal will have to sign and present a document that says the animal can behave, in an effort to prevent aggressive household pets from traveling kennel-free in the cabin, Delta said.

The stricter standards are in response to sharp rise in the number of support animals on board, Delta said, and the rise in incidents involving these animals, which has jumped 84 percent since 2016.

Last year, a passenger's emotional support dog bit the face of the traveler in the next seat aboard a Delta flight.

"The rise in serious incidents involving animals in flight leads us to believe that the lack of regulation in both health and training screening for these animals is creating unsafe conditions across U.S. air travel," said John Laughter, Delta's senior vice president for corporate safety, security and compliance.

Under the Air Carrier Access Act, support and service animals will still be allowed into the cabin free of charge.

"Customers have attempted to fly with comfort turkeys, gliding possums known as sugar gliders, snakes, spiders and more," Delta said. "Ignoring the true intent of existing rules governing the transport of service and support animals can be a disservice to customers who have real and documented needs."

The Department of Transportation, which held discussions in 2016 with mental and physical disability rights groups about which animals should be allowed in airplane cabins, did not immediately respond to a request to comment.

Just this past month I have seen a St. Bernard “service animal” that was let’s say challenging to not be blocking the aisle in first class. My SO was delayed due to a dog having explosive diarrhea in a jetway.

I’m all in favor of these guidelines. My emotional support bearded dragon is in perfect health and I can now justify bringing him on trips.

'Bout time, airports have been looking like a mix between a zoo and the humane society lately.

Good. Now we can all do what we normally do and follow Delta.

Ps- I’ve been warned of a captain in my new domicile that brings his dog on his trips because “nobody said I can’t.”

Just this past month I have seen a St. Bernard “service animal” that was let’s say challenging to not be blocking the aisle in first class. My SO was delayed due to a dog having explosive diarrhea in a jetway.

I’m all in favor of these guidelines. My emotional support bearded dragon is in perfect health and I can now justify bringing him on trips.

On one of my flights, we had a Labrador drop a deuce mid cabin an since most people don't watch where they're stepping the airplane was pulled off line for biohazard cleaning and it smelled like death.

A friend of mine had a passenger in the exit row that moved her support animal to the row and when asked to take a non-exit seat because of the regulations about animals in exit rows, I guess it ended up like the Facebook page "Entitlement is Still a Disease" with the cries of discrimination.

Good. Now we can all do what we normally do and follow Delta.

Ps- I’ve been warned of a captain in my new domicile that brings his dog on his trips because “nobody said I can’t.”

A flood of Crimson Tide scenes come to mind ...

crimson_time_celebratee.jpg

'Bout time, airports have been looking like a mix between a zoo and the humane society lately.

Yeah no kidding. Dogs are cool and all. I just don’t understand this latest trend. Over the holidays I couldn’t believe the number of animals around the terminal. It was like a dog park.

And heaven forbid you bring this up in the wrong company, “YOU ANIMAL HATING FACIST!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah no kidding. Dogs are cool and all. I just don’t understand this latest trend. Over the holidays I couldn’t believe the number of animals around the terminal. It was like a dog park.

And heaven forbid you bring this up in the wrong company, “YOU ANIMAL HATING FACIST!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was so much poop in DTW this winter, but the airport installed this awesome pet area in the middle of the terminal that everyone ignored.

I'm fine with folks doing stuff with their pets but I definitely think there's places that people ought to have the good sense to avoid.

Like I can't go to the supermarket without seeing ten dogs, and I wonder how much dog yuck is now all over the food.

I'm fine with folks doing stuff with their pets but I definitely think there's places that people ought to have the good sense to avoid.

Like I can't go to the supermarket without seeing ten dogs, and I wonder how much dog yuck is now all over the food.

To which dog people will always say "but my dog is cleaner than your kid!"

No, no - that's not true. My kid takes a bath every other night and wipes his own ass.

Back