Several pictures of RV ditching in Edmonds Washington 8/26/2021

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Several pictures of RV ditching in Edmonds Washington.

1630065968332.jpeg

Attachments

• 1630065140639.jpeg
    1630065140639.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 1630065933284.jpeg
    1630065933284.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Sounds like a good outcome. A few years ago I saw the RV7 making the rounds at Oshkosh and thought the RV would be an interesting seaplane.

1630065653861.png

Legit amazed that it didn't flip over.

From the pics, it seems he was already coming in with the canopy open. Sliders are an option when you build an RV - typically they're tip-up canopies like a Lancair. Can't tell for sure but I think it's an RV-9A.

From the pics, it seems he was already coming in with the canopy open. Sliders are an option when you build an RV - typically they're tip-up canopies like a Lancair. Can't tell for sure but I think it's an RV-9A.
Only floatplanes/amphibs are actually designed to flip over...

There is a common myth that fixed gear airplanes are prone to flipping over when ditching into the water. In reality, most of the time they don't (at least initially). The best explanation I've heard is that the gear cuts into the surface and provides a slight braking effect as well as breaking up the surface tension before the belly touches the water.

OTOH, sometimes retract airplanes flip or go full submarine too. If I were in a RG airplane, I'd still choose the belly land option though.

I'll try to find the reference, but the point is that ditching a FG airplane isn't certain death like some people claim.

Amphibious floats with the gear down almost always flip due to the taller CG and longer lever arm.

There is a common myth that fixed gear airplanes are prone to flipping over when ditching into the water. In reality, most of the time they don't (at least initially). The best explanation I've heard is that the gear cuts into the surface and provides a slight braking effect as well as breaking up the surface tension before the belly touches the water.

OTOH, sometimes retract airplanes flip or go full submarine too. If I were in a RG airplane, I'd still choose the belly land option though.

I'll try to find the reference, but the point is that ditching a FG airplane isn't certain death like some people claim.

Amphibious floats with the gear down almost always flip due to the taller CG and longer lever arm.

Interesting. I would have thought the drag from the gear and water would act as a fulcrum point around which the airplane would go. (awkward sentence. sorry.) Happy to learn something new here.

Interesting. I would have thought the drag from the gear and water would act as a fulcrum point around which the airplane would go. (awkward sentence. sorry.) Happy to learn something new here.
This is a weird compliment but I particularly liked and appreciated that sentence lol!:D

Arent underslung (or wing mounted props) terrible for water landings. Something about a tendency to roll and flip when they dig in.

Passive voice has its place (cough, writing a lede, cough) but my English teachers beat it out of me at an early age and now it makes my eye twitch.

Thank you, though. :)

Everything went downhill when they did away with the Hortatory Subjunctive. Savages!

This turned out to be a 6A, not a 9A.

For those of you unfamiliar - they're almost the same airplane, but the -9/-9A variant has a different wing designed for higher flight and efficiency for XCs.

Back