Seniority Question

This is why I like working for airlines with one fleet type. No worries about all these things. Just watch for when your number comes up to upgrade in your base, and that's it. Two airlines now, each with one fleet type. I'm hoping that trend continues for my next career move... :D

FlyChicaga said:
This is why I like working for airlines with one fleet type.
When I chose NJA my plan was the opposite. I chose the company with the most fleet diversity. I didn't like the idea of being "stuck" in the same airplane (and the same city pairs) forever.

NJA_Capt said:
When I chose NJA my plan was the opposite. I chose the company with the most fleet diversity. I didn't like the idea of being "stuck" in the same airplane (and the same city pairs) forever.

I could agree with that! For me though, I've found over time in only one aircraft that you start to wear that airplane like a glove, where your movements seem fluid with what you want the aircraft to do. Not to mention detailed systems knowledge to troubleshoot problems as they occur. You just get very comfortable in your office, and start to know more about the airplane than any man should. Which is a good thing, because then you start to know what to expect, and you know when signs are telling you something is wrong.

Another thing is, when you get comfortable in a plane it gives you the time to start enjoying some other things, like the variety of people we carry in the airlines. It sounds strange, but that's why I love flying passengers. People are strange! That's just what makes it so interesting.

flywithUS said:
But in the case of USAir, once you get the upgrade to captain, you could be furloughed...
general rule of thumb -> you can be furloughed any time, any seniority, any seat, any plane!

A lot of captains I fly with have far less MD-88/90 experience than I have.

It's just a fact of the business!

There's nothing like flying with a captain who's only got 25hrs in the airplane. At my airline, there's a lot of captains in the turboprops who got bumped down due to flowbacks and have no turboprop time in the last 6-7 years. Flying with them often goes like:

Me [trying to think of diplomatic way to point out to captain that the airplane is flying completely lopsided]: You know, I'm always amazed at how much trim this pain-in-the-butt airplane takes.

Captain: Aww sh#$. ##cking props.

FlyChicaga said:
I've found over time in only one aircraft that you start to wear that airplane like a glove, where your movements seem fluid with what you want the aircraft to do.
I agree 100% with your assessment. However, after a few years and recurrent every six months you are about as comfortable as you are going to get. One reason I haven't bid a larger plane is that I don't want to be bored sitting in the same plane for 20 years. Even if I don't change planes I know that the option is available if I chose.

Kristie said:
general rule of thumb -> you can be furloughed any time, any seniority, any seat, any plane!

Oh yeah!

There are USAir guys that have spent more time on multiple furloughs than they've spent flying.

Pan Am 747 pilots that were fuloughed when the seemigly more junior 727 pilots were acquired and transferred to other airlines.

Think of seniority like a thing that only your airline gives a crap about. If your airline is acquired by another airline, it's kind of out of the window. If there's a merger it's a little different though.

Back