Seminole; Vy vs. Vyse

ScoutFlyer

Does anyone know why Vy and Vyse in the Seminole are the same (88 KIAS for both)? Taking a look at the books (PHAK and Jepp Multi Engine text), it looks like Vyse should be slower than Vy due to the power required one engine curve shifting forward of the power required both engines curve to overcome the extra drag of the inop. engine. I suppose I haven't had experience with many other multi engine aircraft, but from what I've gathered, Vy and Vyse usually aren't the same.

Yeah I fly the seminole, and just from flying it, Vyse seems more like around 85 or 84. Just about any speed slower than Vy and above Vx will give you a greater climb than Vy when single engine.

I think the math makes them maybe like 86.5 and 85.5 and they just rounded to 87 for training purposes. Otherwise, there's another force at work here.

Yeah I fly the seminole, and just from flying it, Vyse seems more like around 85 or 84. Just about any speed slower than Vy and above Vx will give you a greater climb than Vy when single engine.

I think the math makes them maybe like 86.5 and 85.5 and they just rounded to 87 for training purposes. Otherwise, there's another force at work here.
but at sea level 88 would give you better than 85-86kts, right? if 82-85 is better at alt. that is how it should be because vy decreases with higher alt.

I believe the published Vyse is at max gross. You may get better performance with a lower airspeed when lightly loaded i.e. training operations.

Back