See you later JetCareers, I'm shipping to Fort Benning

Good luck Mariano, I went to Sand Hill for 11B OSUT and Ft. Benning for Airborne School. It's a good time! :banghead:

Here's a nice view of your future home:
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=32.4122841&lon=-84.8955202&z=15&l=0&m=a&v=2

You'll be fine, just don't ever be late, light, or last!

It will suck alot for the first few weeks, but after you get used to the new environment (culture shock), and get into the groove, time will start to go by quicker and you will be "turning blue" before you know it.

Mail is your lifeline to the world, and can make a crappy day all better. Write home alot and tell everyone to write back and write often. Even if it is just a short note. It's always a nice upper to get mail when you are isolated from friends and family.

Get a sharpie and put your name on EVERYTHING you own!! Underwear, boots, socks, blouses, trousers, covers, notebooks, etc. EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING! I'm not kidding. You will be surprised how much stuff just "disappears".

Also, if you get a chance to go to the PX while in 30th AG (Receiving), buy a nice big and soft towel or two (and put your name on it/them). The ones they issued us sucked balls. Buy lots of ziplock bags to waterproof your socks, t-shirts, paper, etc. when you aren't in garrison because it WILL rain and you and your ruck WILL get soaked! Pick up some chapstick/carmex, and diaper rash ointment such as Desitin (laugh now, but you will get chafed on those long road marches, especially if it is raining). Buy some baby-wipes too. Those things have over 1,000,000 uses for the Infantryman.

Be generous and help your battle buddy and other platoon members out when they need it, and even when they don't. Stay focused on the "25m target," and don't be a "Blue Falcon" or a "spotlighter." Be aggressive and give it all you got, especially when you are tired and down. Oh yeah, and put your name on EVERYTHING you own.

If you get a chance to get online, drop us a line here at JC and let us know how things are going.

I can't wait to count you amongst my Infantry brethren.

A crisp salute to you sir. 11 bullet-catchers are tougher than I'll ever be. Dumber than a box of hammers, but tough. ;)

Seriously, best of luck.

:hiya:

Oh yes, I remember when I left PDX (SE) for Ft. Knox, then Mother Rucker and swore that I'd never make it a career. that was 22 years ago and found out that it was the best decision of my life. :D

Originally wanted to go OR ARNG, but they wouldn't guarantee me aviation. Ended up going active duty and a Huey Crew Chief, then started flying Kiowa's 4 years later.

Too old for fllight school? We got a new guy last year who was 32, so you might want to look all options. Waivers might get you in.

As far as combat, this is my 3rd deployment (OEF this time). Don't worry about it too much, just pay attention to your training and trust your skills. You'll be just fine.

Good Luck fellow Dux Fan!

Also, if you get a chance to go to the PX while in 30th AG (Receiving), buy a nice big and soft towel or two (and put your name on it/them). The ones they issued us sucked balls. Buy lots of ziplock bags to waterproof your socks, t-shirts, paper, etc. when you aren't in garrison because it WILL rain and you and your ruck WILL get soaked! Pick up some chapstick/carmex, and diaper rash ointment such as Desitin (laugh now, but you will get chafed on those long road marches, especially if it is raining). Buy some baby-wipes too. Those things have over 1,000,000 uses for the Infantryman.

Thank you very much for the great advice.:) Can you get the baby wipes and the Desitin at the PX?

Also, should I take a bunch of white socks and underwear or do you get those issued?

Thank you very much for the great advice.:) Can you get the baby wipes and the Desitin at the PX?

Also, should I take a bunch of white socks and underwear or do you get those issued?
Yes, you can get the baby wipes and Desitin at the PX in the baby food/diaper section.

You should get issued everything you need. I hated not being able to wear boxers!:mad:

Mariano,
At 39, I'm sure you're going to be the "old man" of the group. Set the example for the young'ns. Good luck.
Oh, and You're a better Man than I.
Old Pete

Mariano thats let me say thats awsome again. I'm glad to see people who want to serve thier country. Thanks again.
Ditto. I know quite a few young'uns who have made that choice, I wish it wasn't so unpopular to serve. I know it won't be easy for you and your family but you should know there are many who want to thank you for your commitment. Mariano, thank you.

As a graduate of the Benning School for Boys, let me congratulate you in advance.

I really can't put in words what you are about to experience, but I'll tell you you you'll be better for it and will remember it forever.

PS: Have fun on "Heart-Attack Hill!" ;)
Even some times us squids wind up at Benning..... :mad:

Mariano, Thanks for your service to our country! and for all the great info on madrid :) (Which is definitely one of the most awesome cities I've EVER been to!)

Good luck, man.

Oh- when you go to the gas chamber, take a deep breath when your mask is off.

CS/Tear Gas isn't nearly as harsh as some people say it is. In a weird way, it tickles in a kinda good way. Trust me. Get a good whiff, you'll be glad you did.

:)

Former Airborne. I can't be in an an office, or in a supply/logistics unit, too boring.

I'm getting my A&P now. In the beginning I was going to chose a different MOS (Chinook mechanic), but that meant a longer time away from school (A&P school), and a four hour commute to my weekend drill. So I chose 11b instead, it makes sense right :sarcasm: ;)

I might change my MOS to something aviation related in a couple of years once I'm done with A&P school and have some mechanic experience.

By the way , I'm in the Oregon Army National Guard

if you're former airborne, why are you doing basic training again?

If memory serves, he was airborne in a different nation's service.

PS. The Army are a bunch of homos. Love, Boris.

if you're former airborne, why are you doing basic training again?

I'm originally from Spain. I served in the Spanish Army twice: first time, back in 1988, I served for 12 months (it was the mandatory military service then) Second time, 1994, I enlisted in the, then, new professional military forces. That time I could actually choose where I wanted to go, and I chose what I always wanted: Airborne

Back