See you later JetCareers, I'm shipping to Fort Benning

Mariano

Yeah, Monday I'll be leaving the comforts of home for a few months of close-quarters-living with a bunch of dudes, all under the care and supervision of the loving Drill Sergeants :cwm27:

No Internet access while I'm there. Damn I'm going to miss the post-election posting craze aftermath :sarcasm:

Well, everyone have a nice Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanuka, etc. I shall return by next Spring. So long.....

darrenf

resident denizen
Yeah, Monday I'll be leaving the comforts of home for a few months of close-quarters-living with a bunch of dudes, all under the care and supervision of the loving Drill Sergeants :cwm27:

No Internet access while I'm there. Damn I'm going to miss the post-election posting craze aftermath :sarcasm:

Well, everyone have a nice Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanuka, etc. I shall return by next Spring. So long.....
Good luck man.

IslandFlyer

Good luck man. It'll be over before you know it and next thing you know you'll be in Iraq soaking up the sun.

n57flyguy

Awsome! Thank you for your service

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
As a graduate of the Benning School for Boys, let me congratulate you in advance.

I really can't put in words what you are about to experience, but I'll tell you you you'll be better for it and will remember it forever.

PS: Have fun on "Heart-Attack Hill!" ;)

Mariano

I really can't put in words what you are about to experience, but I'll tell you you you'll be better for it and will remember it forever.

PS: Have fun on "Heart-Attack Hill!" ;)

Dude, you're scaring me. It is because today is Halloween? (please say so) :D

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
Ha!

No... the thing about not being able to put it in words is a good thing. It will be tough, without a doubt, but also a lot of fun. (Maybe in retrospect?) Plus, you'll make some life long buddies there - friendships born out of shared hardships are always... unique.

Heart attack hill? Sorry bro... that's exactly what it sounds like. ;)

Mariano

Ha!

No... the thing about not being able to put it in words is a good thing. It will be tough, without a doubt, but also a lot of fun. (Maybe in retrospect?) Plus, you'll make some life long buddies there - friendships born out of shared hardships are always... unique.

Heart attack hill? Sorry bro... that's exactly what it sounds like. ;)

Thanks Ian. My attitude toward what is coming is a positive one. I'll try to make the most out of it.

I'm of course a "little" nervous for the big change and the unknown, but it is just boot camp after all. It's not like I'm going to war (yet)

Besides, I should be getting a two weeks vacation for Christmas which will be a nice break.

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
Back in the day Benning used to be all Infantry, but now I have to ask... you going Infantry?

About being nervous: My first night there I stayed up all night long, unable to sleep because I kept worrying. It's very normal and understandable.

Mariano

Awesome... I spent 5 years as an 11B and have many, many fond memories from those days.

You chose a tough job, my friend. Good on you for it.

Former Airborne. I can't be in an an office, or in a supply/logistics unit, too boring.

I'm getting my A&P now. In the beginning I was going to chose a different MOS (Chinook mechanic), but that meant a longer time away from school (A&P school), and a four hour commute to my weekend drill. So I chose 11b instead, it makes sense right :sarcasm: ;)

I might change my MOS to something aviation related in a couple of years once I'm done with A&P school and have some mechanic experience.

By the way , I'm in the Oregon Army National Guard

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
Cool deal. I did something similar, except I switched from enlisted infantry to commissioned officer aviation.

Something you might consider in a few years is either WOCS or Green to Gold if you want to go aviation on the pilot side. Being an enlisted grunt first is a great foundation for it.

n57flyguy

Mariano thats let me say thats awsome again. I'm glad to see people who want to serve thier country. Thanks again.

Mariano

Cool deal. I did something similar, except I switched from enlisted infantry to commissioned officer aviation.

Something you might consider in a few years is either WACS or Green to Gold if you want to go aviation on the pilot side. Being an enlisted grunt first is a great foundation for it.

I'm too old for a pilot slot, plus my vision is not 20/20 uncorrected.

I'll be happy to be a mechanic or a crew chief. By the way....any advice on how to get into that position (crew chief) or any other non-pilot flying jobs?

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
I'm too old for a pilot slot, plus my vision is not 20/20 uncorrected.

I'll be happy to be a mechanic or a crew chief. By the way....any advice on how to get into that position (crew chief) or any other non-pilot flying jobs?
Sure... don't reenlist unless they guarantee it in your new contract.

An MOS of choice is a common reenlistment incentive.