scenario about hours, insurance, and employment

WHAT IS A LOG BOOK? Are you not considered a pilot with out one? Are we required to show anyone our log book by law? This is personal documentation of our flying history. It is a bunch of numbers. I would really like to know more in dept about aircraft insurance and how it uses these numbers for risk. Can anyone compare it to auto insurance? Lets go drive around the block for 300 hours; I need the experience for this pizza delivery job. Does a company or person pay more in insurance by the amount of time they fly per week or month? The more you operate the more risk is involved, right?

You might want to review FAR 61.51:

Section 61.51: Pilot logbooks.

(a) Training time and aeronautical experience. Each person must document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator:
(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of this part.
(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part.

(i) Presentation of required documents. (1) Persons must present their pilot certificate, medical certificate, logbook, or any other record required by this part for inspection upon a reasonable request by—
(i) The Administrator;
(ii) An authorized representative from the National Transportation Safety Board; or
(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.

I never understood what someone would gain by lying about their flight times. It shows up with a deficiency in either pilot "ability" or knowledge (often both).

These are the same guys that make it so you can't fly a King Air with less than 1000 hours and four shuttle landings.

-mini

Back