Save Boulder Airport

One of the top five worst pilots I’ve ever flown with was a guy that fancied himself as an Alaskan bush pilot who walks on water and urinates excellence. “Pilots in the lower 48 just don’t understand what we do up there.” kind of guy. A simple flight review was all we had to do that day, in their hot rod AK bushplane, and we did not accomplish the flight review due to their poor airmanship. I still laugh about that guy.
Flown with many of those guys, they're not uncommon.

But also, if you didn't fly up here part 135 you probably don't understand the way things are lol - it's a fundamentally different world than most flying.

Edit: I also know some guys with badass bushplanes who don't suck, it's just I have found that a lot of guys had more money than brains.

Flown with many of those guys, they're not uncommon.

But also, if you didn't fly up here part 135 you probably don't understand the way things are lol - it's a fundamentally different world than most flying.

Edit: I also know some guys with badass bushplanes who don't suck, it's just I have found that a lot of guys had more money than brains.

Oh, I get it and understand that was an isolated data point. It is radically different flying for numerous reasons, but I've never met someone so arrogant about their flying skills, yet get so humbled by crosswinds. "So, you don't have crosswinds up there in Alaska, huh?"

Oh, I get it and understand that was an isolated data point. It is radically different flying for numerous reasons, but I've never met someone so arrogant about their flying skills, yet get so humbled by crosswinds. "So, you don't have crosswinds up there in Alaska, huh?"

The “we must complete the mission” mindset of those guys is what gets me. “We are delivering dildos to Kentucky….settle down sir.”

One of the top five worst pilots I’ve ever flown with was a guy that fancied himself as an Alaskan bush pilot who walks on water and urinates excellence. “Pilots in the lower 48 just don’t understand what we do up there.” kind of guy. A simple flight review was all we had to do that day, in their hot rod AK bushplane, and we did not accomplish the flight review due to their poor airmanship. I still laugh about that guy.

Private, or 135? 'cause I have Opinions.

The “we must complete the mission” mindset of those guys is what gets me. “We are delivering dildos to Kentucky….settle down sir.”
So, I'm out of the game now, but I do find it highly amusing that I pushed so hard to deliver dog food to various ungrateful dickbags but basically didn't push at all when I flew medevac. Flying can be a strange business.

That said, you do get very comfortable flying at 500&2 or 1000&1, so do I understand the temptation guys have to push it further, "who gives a damn I can't tell the difference between 3/4SM and 1SM - besides, it's too damn scary to look outside anyway, I might as well keep going." When there was literally no approach structure back 10 years ago or so, what else could you legally do if you got boxed in.

Things have changed though, ADS-B + Synthetic Vision + the FAA making a bunch of approaches everywhere + better weather information + iPads + ... = a much safer environment.

With nicer equipment the scariest thing I routinely worried about was runway condition and I would scrub a trip at the drop of a hat if didn't have a reliable report on the ground.

Back